• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN leather jacket repro options in 2023-2024

Wedge417

Hi all! It's that time of the year again...where my brain is coercing me into buying new leather...and after last year's Platon A-2, it needs a USN little brother.
I went through and did some research both on the net and the forums here but I couldn't get any definitive list of what are some of the best options for a nice M-422 or G-1.

Vintage original G-1 are off for me. I've got a size 44 orig G-1 I bought two years ago which is too big for me and is just hanging in my cupboard. For what I can see on eBay, most of the vintage options are garbage and overpriced in size 42. Also I'm self conscious about wearing and using vintage as I would a repro.

So in the realm of good repros what is out there? GW and ELC being the priciest and the best let's leav'em on their pedestal as I don't have that kind of money. I was looking for another Platon miracle, ie. stunning quality and reasonable price. But for G-1 and M422 jackets it doesn't seem to happen.

I've read good things about AVI but I find the fit a bit odd in the pictures I've seen. A bit boxy and contemporary. Cockpit jackets seem to be overpriced for what they are, correct me if I'm wrong. So what's left?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mulceber

TBH, I don't think there is anything that fits your description. Unfortunately, Navy jackets don't have the sort of mid-tier price, high-tier accuracy repro options like you see with A-2s. You have Good Wear and Sheeley in the top bracket, and they do phenomenal work. BK's look good too, although I haven't seen many reviews of their Navy jackets. I don't think any of the rest are worth your time. If money's tight, I'd go back to eBay and be on the lookout for a good used sz. 42. It's still hot out, so prices will be low.

If you don't mind patches, this 7823C looks fantastic.

B-Man2

I sent you a private message. I think your issue with original USN G-1 jackets may lie in the fact that the 44 you own is one size up from what would probably fit you nicely. Do you know your measurements ? Knowing them is essential to finding a jacket that fits well .
Take a look a my PM . It may be helpful as it’s a size 42 USN G-1 Star Manufacturing Co Vietnam era jacket that costs less than any repro being sold . The jacket looks nice and it’s in great shape. If that doesn’t interest you then your options will be somewhat limited in the lower price ranges .

Wedge417

TBH, I don't think there is anything that fits your description. Unfortunately, Navy jackets don't have the sort of mid-tier price, high-tier accuracy repro options like you see with A-2s. You have Good Wear and Sheeley in the top bracket, and they do phenomenal work. BK's look good too, although I haven't seen many reviews of their Navy jackets. I don't think any of the rest are worth your time. If money's tight, I'd go back to eBay and be on the lookout for a good used sz. 42. It's still hot out, so prices will be low.

Now that's interesting regardless of my wanting to buy a jacket, why do you think the market is not as well developed for USN leather jackets as it is for A-2? You do see A-2s all over the place either the Japanese jackets or the ELCS. On social media most people wear A-2s especially in Asia. The G-1 is somewhat a more forgiving cut I'm surprised it hasn't caught as much as the A-2. Is it because the European theatre is in general better know to people than the pacific of the Korean/vietnam war?

I guess it's just here and up for any decent priced top quality craftsman to take hold of that niche as there really doesn't seem to be any offer.

Wedge417

I sent you a private message. I think your issue with original USN G-1 jackets may lie in the fact that the 44 you own is one size up from what would probably fit you nicely. Do you know your measurements ? Knowing them is essential to finding a jacket that fits well .
Take a look a my PM . It may be helpful as it’s a size 42 USN G-1 Star Manufacturing Co Vietnam era jacket that costs less than any repro being sold . The jacket looks nice and it’s in great shape. If that doesn’t interest you then your options will be somewhat limited in the lower price ranges .
Thanks I replied via PM. Size wise I do know my size as I had to figure it out to order one of Platon's A-2. The thing is with G-1s as they're cut generously. I don't quite know if I'm a 42 or a 40. The 44 I have is definitely too much. I thinks I coud wear it over a carhartt winter jacket.

5* is the cheap alternative but as much as I love their M421 jacket. I'm not sure I would jump to anything leather.

I think I'll stick to eBay and wait and see for now.

Last year I did hear rumours Platon was hypothetically wanting to do a USN jacket? does anybody have info on that?

mulceber

Now that's interesting regardless of my wanting to buy a jacket, why do you think the market is not as well developed for USN leather jackets as it is for A-2? You do see A-2s all over the place either the Japanese jackets or the ELCS. On social media most people wear A-2s especially in Asia. The G-1 is somewhat a more forgiving cut I'm surprised it hasn't caught as much as the A-2. Is it because the European theatre is in general better know to people than the pacific of the Korean/vietnam war?

I guess it's just here and up for any decent priced top quality craftsman to take hold of that niche as there really doesn't seem to be any offer.
I don't know, but I can speculate:
  • The G-1 is a more technically challenging jacket to make than an A-2, what with the bi-swing back. That makes it more expensive to make. The addition of a mouton fur collar doesn't help in that regard.
  • With its leather collar, the A-2 can be worn in warmer weather
  • A lot of the companies that do repros are based in England, which had much more experience with the Air Force than the US Navy, which means more nostalgia for Air Force kit. Hence ELC, which has a wide selection of original contract A-2s, only has 1 M-422A offering and 1 G-1 offering, both with a house label. It's VERY evident that Gary hasn't put the kind of effort into developing his G-1 offerings that he has the A-2.
Thanks I replied via PM. Size wise I do know my size as I had to figure it out to order one of Platon's A-2. The thing is with G-1s as they're cut generously. I don't quite know if I'm a 42 or a 40. The 44 I have is definitely too much. I thinks I coud wear it over a carhartt winter jacket.
G-1 sizing is all over the map, just like A-2s. Best to just go by the measurements and ignore the size tag. I'd stick with Burt and see what the measurements on his are.

kev15

Check your inbox. I have a modest, fully wearable original size 42 7823 G-1 that is looking for a new home. This is not intended to be a brash proposal, on the other hand you might find it interesting.

Just as the others already did, I would also suggest to stick with the originals. They still show up in great condition, just don't stop looking. Good luck with your search!

Thomas Koehle

Since most arguments have already been brought up just 2 comments from my side being a big "fan" of USN flight jackets:

sizewise USN leather garment is a bit tricky in terms of: what is already too small or what might still fit ...

ideally i go with 46 but still 44's also kinda fit - compare the 2 pics - the BRILL with the patches is in 44 - the other jacket is a Martin Lane in 46 - not such a huge difference anyway

Martin Lane 46 (thx to @B-Man2
c1DGM1F.jpg

BRILL Brothers 44
oPMDB7v.jpg

so my advice would be to go with an original off EBAY or any other online source

as for repops i highly recommend @Shawn Ali with his guys from 5* - he is able to mod your jacket in a way so it fits you even if your dimensions are kind of inbetween - quality-wise i was - and i'm still - highly satisified with whatever i got from 5* before and still ordering

Thomas Koehle

can't believe this jacket was sold for 140 bucks ...

Wedge417

Thanks for all the answers and tips.
It is true the offer for originals is quite tempting. But I can't seem to overcome the idea I'm going to damage an original. I'm rather active and always running around I think I'll buy an original when I'm more settled and laid back.

Right now a repro seems the best choice as I won't have nightmares over every dings and stitches.

Doing a 360 here but I guess I'll save for one of the more pricey options.
GW is out of reach for me.
BK seems quite reasonable if any of you have any experience with his USN 422 Geiger...?
Pardon my lack of knowledge but I'm unfamiliar with Sheeley?
Any experience with the Japanese makers? I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime next year it might be worth it?!

mulceber

BK seems quite reasonable if any of you have any experience with his USN 422 Geiger...?
The biggest issue you'll run into with the M-422 W&G is that the originals mostly had shorter sleeves, such that the jacket would really reach down to about your wrist. BK has likely lengthened the sleeves to make the jacket more flattering (and pleasant to wear), which is nice, except it would make your repro not very typical of originals. That said, there were exceptions - just thought it'd be worth pointing out that (potential) drawback.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but I'm unfamiliar with Sheeley?

Dave Sheeley is a member here (his handle is Maverickson) and makes some great repros. His eBay store lists most of his offerings, but if you buy from him through direct communication on the board here, he offers a discount, since you're avoiding eBay's fees.

Any experience with the Japanese makers? I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime next year it might be worth it?!
Japanese makers tend to be very expensive new, but you could probably find something in your size used. Their G-1 and AN-series jackets have the problem that they have more "interesting" (i.e. more scalloped) pocket flaps than most originals of those series did. Otherwise they look pretty good.