• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined A2

BONNIEGIRL4

I'm looking at these pictures and actually getting pissed off that their could be criticism of this jacket.I mean what this Forum is all about has finally been brought to reality by John. Anyone who thinks there is room for ANY improvement on this work of art, needs to cut back on the doobies and Guiness.Yeah I know everyone has 2 things, a personal opinion and an asshole, learn the difference - TOM

airfrogusmc

Those to jackets look like they could have been out of the same factory. I have never seen a better repro from any maker. The epaulets aren't down to his elbows, the pockets aren't under his arms, the hide isn't 3 1/2 oz body armor or plastic looking spongy stuff that will never develop grain. Go look at and handle some originals then report back. It don't get better than that. GREAT JACKET JEFF....
Fit is PERFECT.

khiattP-51

I don't know that I can add anything else to this that hasn't already been said.
But, I will anyway. Jeff, that United Sheeplined is perfect and I mean perfect in all aspects.

-Kevin

bfrench

Administrator
khiattP-51 said:
I don't know that I can add anything else to this that hasn't already been said.
But, I will anyway. Jeff, that United Sheeplined is perfect and I mean perfect in all aspects.

-Kevin

Hi, Jeff,

I'll add to Kevin's comments - it's a very well made reproduction jacket that fits the way an A-2 should fit on your body style.'

There are two glaring problems.

1. It's a keeper - making the search for the optimum repro complete. No more searching.

2. It needs wear to give it that aged look that will make the vets think you've found a jacket that has been hidden away since 1945.

Wear this 1941 in a box in good health - buy another one to put away for at least 10 years and then have another one available.

Bill French

bseal

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
I'm looking at these pictures and actually getting pissed off that their could be criticism of this jacket.I mean what this Forum is all about has finally been brought to reality by John. Anyone who thinks there is room for ANY improvement on this work of art, needs to cut back on the doobies and Guiness.Yeah I know everyone has 2 things, a personal opinion and an asshole, learn the difference - TOM

Couldn't agree more. John really is turning out some cheap $#!+ these days, huh?! Oh well, Jeff, let me know when you want to trade a sweet Avirex for your mendicant's rags.

Peter Graham

Leadsky said:
Peter G, I don't see what you do.
Neither do I now. Jeff, I apologise, your jacket looks fantastic. I was away from home, using an old laptop and probably drinking too much Stella Artois when I said your jacket looked wrong. Looking at it now I realise I was talking crap. Sorry. :oops:

shanghai joe

jkt nirvana is a GW.................repro jkt nirvana is a GW.

........hellelujah......the light... the light.....I've seen the light, glory be!

(was) blind grasshopper but now I see....to the tune of AMAZING GRACE

shanghai joe

BONNIEGIRL4 said:

guess gw wear can only be improved........by JC himself.....after it's a learning curve

does that make me an opinion or an arsehole??? :eek:

A

Anonymous

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
That jacket is perfection period. Get your eyes examined. Jeff I hope you realize you HAVE finally found what you have searched for, PERFECTION, I'm jealous as hell, enjoy man -TOM

:oops: Wow- I don't know what to say- thanks for the nice comments! Makes me wish I'd followed my Mom's advice: "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"! After all my criticism of the "Nice repro!" threads here I am!
:D

A

Anonymous

bfrench said:
khiattP-51 said:

-Kevin

Hi, Jeff,

I'll add to Kevin's comments - it's a very well made reproduction jacket that fits the way an A-2 should fit on your body style.'

There are two glaring problems.

1. It's a keeper - making the search for the optimum repro complete. No more searching.

2. It needs wear to give it that aged look that will make the vets think you've found a jacket that has been hidden away since 1945.

Wear this 1941 in a box in good health - buy another one to put away for at least 10 years and then have another one available.

Bill French

Yeah- unfortunately being the OCD weirdo I am now I want the "Perfect Roughwear" and "The Perfect Dubow" and "The Perfect 27753"! The obsession never ends! I do wear this jacket every day- no mollycoddling...

Vcruiser

Well...I'll insert my honest humble opinion here...whether it goes with the flow or not.
I noticed what "looks like" a tad of extra material from the armpits down giving "some" of the GW's more of a baggy appearance around the gut area than others...."or",somehow,seem to "drape" differently than some originals around the middle. Many originals did,indeed,blouse more than most repros and could be "all over the place". However..to me..it is noticable in the comparison pics...if you look close. What does this mean?...Is it a serious discrepancy? Probably not. But to put John's jackets as the holy grail...beyond any form of possible criticism whatsoever seems to border on the ridiculous. I think even,John,would want honest feedback...rather than just continual unbending praise. He's succeeded in making a much better repro by far.....but,pointing out what "may" seem slightly different from some perspectives can only better perfect the product. Of course...I'm looking at things from my viewpoint...just as you are from yours....
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
Well...I'll insert my honest humble opinion here...whether it goes with the flow or not ........

So how well put was that?

Van, I think you're absolutely right, great post. :!:

Swing

swoose774 said:
Has this entire forum become some half assed ad for Good Wear? The product is good, that's nice, you found your new best friend. Get on with it already. HOLY SHIT!!!

Has been a ongoing theme at the various forums.... Brand X becomes hot, seems like every post is rave reviews of Brand X, and that is all the conversation is about. And boy, you sure as heck better not be critical of Brand X, or a dozen guys will jump all over you. Eventually things quiet down, and then Brand Y gets hot and the process starts all over again. It's just the way things are, and I wouldn't expect them to change. :|

That being said.... not to join the GW circle jerk, but the jackets John is turning out right now look pretty damn good. Hat's off to him.

~Swing

Very interesting comments here. I agree with Van that John C would probably prefer honest feedback to a bunch of sycophants telling him how great he is.

Even more than that issue, I found myself wondering how much more accurate could an A-2 repro be? Given the variations in originals within even the same contracts, is there a point where you just begin chasing your tail? I thought about that after reading Van's comments about the possibly blousy bodies.

It seems that more than a few A-2 geeks think GW is very, very good at making faithfully accurate reproduction A-2s. They seem to be a good combination of authentic details and increasingly cool looking and authentic looking hides. Are they really 1942 in a box? I don't know yet, but they sure look the part. Some of GWs jackets blow me away. Some I'm not so crazy about. I think it just comes down to the hide and contract.

I understand the guys saying the forum being a half-arsed ad for Goodwear. GW does get a lot of play around here. All I can say is that I for one am excited about A-2s again, and that's largely due to Goodwear. Until GWs jackets I never saw repro jackets with the look of '42 enough to make me plunk down my cash. So sue me, I like them.

A

Anonymous

I think you should also take a look at what Eastman is now putting out. Imo their havana goat looks shit hot. I saw one over the w/e and it was the best looking repro I've seen.

Vcruiser

Hey...Don't get me wrong! I like GW as well! I'd say that they are certainly as close to 1940's issued A2 in a box that is offered anywhere. Something to be excited about!However...I'm pretty sure that John may still be tweeking the differing nuances possibly found even in the same contract..as well as making great effort at trying to fit everyone. It would seem with that in mind..feedback becomes very important. Even opinion. I'm sure that he can weed through what might be a few asshole remarks..to consider a valid critique. Mr. Chapman is no newbie. He be streetwize. Hell...that's what we been doing for years on these forums,anyhow....nitpickin. Seems to me...that's what got JC in the biz....
Van

I get what you're saying, Van. I'm sure John appreciates honest feedback, good or bad. And yeah, I guess nitpicking is what brought the repro A-2 market where it is today with the better selection of authentic looking contracts.

Tranquility Base, I'll have to check out the new Eastmans. I haven't seen that havana goat yet. They do make some beautiful jackets. I really like the color of their Werber.

bfrench

Administrator
Re: United Sheeplined A2 - GW constructive critique

Hi, Folks,

Yes JC makes a very good A-2 but a few points that I see as distractions.

1. The fit - everybody say the fit is just about perfect for their frame - well of course they are - John makes the measurements work for the customer making it a custom fit - adding an inch or so the length, arms shoulder span, etc. - You no longer have an original because the measurements have changed - an original United Sheeplined, Aero, etc would probably have been short torso type jackets riding above the waistline of todays trousers. If the jacket was made exactly to the original specs we'd all be crying the blues about the lousy fit.

2. A lot of jackets are made from other than horsehide and goat - look at the arguments, disagreements and fallouts these forums have had over the years regarding the use of cowhide / steer hide and buffalo hides - it was sacrilege to even mention these hides being used in an original but absolutely acceptable for GW to do so to the point that we're convincing ourselves that they were probably used on a regular basis.

3. The other thing I've noticed - the way the leather drapes. From the pics of different individuals it seems as if the leather borders on being too thin - the jackets don't give that substantial look of a leather utility jacket but more the look of a crumpled shirt.

I know the jacket is worn as outerwear for protection against the elements and after 60 years they have become thinner than new and drape differently than when new - the spec apparently calls for 3.0 ounce leather which will give a fairly heavy shirt appearance not the look of a thin sweaty cotton summer shirt - they could stand to use a slightly thicker material for a barely blousy look.

4. The pocket flaps - why are the pocket flaps curling at the edges of a new jacket? - When you look at pics of originals the flaps seem to be flat as you'd get on an Aero, ELC or Gibson and Barnes in a new jacket - just judging as an inexperienced jacketeer - it would seem that the material is again too thin.

5. Built in flaws - I don't buy into this way of thinking - the seamstresses of the pre-WWII and WWII period did as good a job with straight seams as most seamstresses do today - yes some of the quality wasn't as up to par as a custom general's jacket would get but they were on a whole still very respectably made - so keep things as close to well made as possible rather than induce flaws - the flaws will still be there - nobody sews a perfect jacket.

To all of you, including John, this is a constructive look at a jacket with the many small details addressed that a lot of the different makers, for one reason or another, didn't care to correct or couldn't.

Is GW and JC at the top of the heap - I'd say yes for custom A-2 jackets but when they're customized to fit the way that they complement today's waistlines, they lose the authentic look.

If you want 1942 out of a box - take the jacket exactly as the pattern was made - no custom changes otherwise it becomes a GW custom A-2 made to order to fit todays torso.

Bill French

I agree with some of your observations, Bill. Some of the leather has looked a bit thin to me. But, I honestly think most other repros err too far on the other side and make them too thick. As to the cowhide and other hides...for now I'm sticking with HH and goat.

As far as keeping to the original pattern, I agree to a certain extent. BUT, when I drop nearly a grand on a jacket I want the thing to fit pretty well. I am rather tall at 6'3 and have longish arms. If I wanted a really authentic fit, I would probably look like some of the guys in original photos we've seen posted here with jackets that have jacket arms too short. I have photos of my Dad in the 50s Marine Corps with dungaree trousers too short because he said it was hard for a tall guy to get them long enough.

That's all well and good if a guy is throwing a piece of uniform/equipment at you in a line of other servicemen, but for 900 bucks I want it to fit a little better. :D I know, it may make it a less authentic fit, but the rest of the jacket's details will pull me through hopefully.

Frankly everybody has different things that trip their triggers about A-2. I love the pocket and flap details, the leather types and colors, and the history of it. I don't worry too much about the "look" or fit thing, figuring if the jacket is a good repro the details will make it look right. I've seen enough loose, tight and everything in between fits in original photos that I honestly don't worry about that too much.

greyhound52

All I can say is my "clone" of my original Doniger is as close to a new Doniger as one could get. The goat is exactly the same really great stuff. The goat he was using before was about 3 oz and thicker and didn't have the appeal of the thinner stuff. I have Buzz Ricksons which I believe use at least 3 oz maybe 3.5 and they fit and drape very well and I like them and wear them a lot. I think of a jacket as a piece of art and John is an artist. Everybody sees things they like and dislike in art as in jackets. I appreciate a good jacket no matter what the make. Frankly I would rather put down my hard earned cash on someone who like us is really into the A2 ( and now the A1) rather than buy something from overseas (and with the dollar the way it is) at a very high price. I think John understands and appreciates the critiques heck I have given him some myself on his jackets. It goes to make a better product.