• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined A2

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
I think you should also take a look at what Eastman is now putting out. Imo their havana goat looks shit hot. I saw one over the w/e and it was the best looking repro I've seen.

IMO Eastman can never do what John does- they literally will never get "the look" because they are too perfect, too timid, and too British! Just like the Japanese their innate cultural prejudices come out - maybe not obviously- but they're there. An Eastman made with the very best goatskin will still probably have all those Eastman flaws: NOT an exact copy; TOO timid leather graining; TOO perfect angles in the pattern; funny slope-shouldered pattern; and TOO perfect stitching! In a word- "bespoke" (whatever that means). Hilarious to be called a "sycophant" because I'm happy with a reproduction A-2 after suffering all those years with the blurry, inaccurate, NOT RIGHT (IMO) junk from before! I agree that getting the right leather is essential to the GW effect but all the other bases are covered- you're going to get by far the most accurate copy money can buy! Nobody on God's green earth has a more exact knowledge of A-2 contracts than John (IMO) and none will ever try harder to get everything "just right" for a particular contract of A-2.

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
Tranquility Base said:
I think you should also take a look at what Eastman is now putting out. Imo their havana goat looks shit hot. I saw one over the w/e and it was the best looking repro I've seen.

IMO Eastman can never do what John does- they literally will never get "the look" because they are too perfect, too timid, and too British! Just like the Japanese their innate cultural prejudices come out - maybe not obviously- but they're there. An Eastman made with the very best goatskin will still probably have all those Eastman flaws: NOT an exact copy; TOO timid leather graining; TOO perfect angles in the pattern; funny slope-shouldered pattern; and TOO perfect stitching! In a word- "bespoke" (whatever that means). Hilarious to be called a "sycophant" because I'm happy with a reproduction A-2 after suffering all those years with the blurry, inaccurate, NOT RIGHT (IMO) junk from before! I agree that getting the right leather is essential to the GW effect but all the other bases are covered- you're going to get by far the most accurate copy money can buy!

You might change your mind if you saw one.

Chris217

My GW Doniger is without a doubt, the finest repro A-2 I have owned. And I've owned an ass of 'em. I am for once, completely satisfied.

Some people just don't get it.

A

Anonymous

You might change your mind if you saw one.

I'm sure it's a beautiful jacket but I bet I could find an wrong detail or too perfect angle in 1 minute! Not so a GW (made with the right leather). Eastman had their chance...

rotenhahn,

Just to be clear, I wasn't calling anybody a sycophant. I was just saying that I'm sure John prefers honest feedback - good and bad- and NOT favor currying sycophants. If I was calling the GW fans here sycophants, I'd have to put myself in that group, if you follow. There have been a lot of people singing GW's praises, but so far I have been seeing it as genuine enthusiasm. Guess some others see it as a "pack" mentality or whatever, and have been rubbed the wrong way by it.

To each his own.

A

Anonymous

Clyde from Carolina said:
rotenhahn,

Just to be clear, I wasn't calling anybody a sycophant. I was just saying that I'm sure John prefers honest feedback - good and bad- and NOT favor currying sycophants. If I was calling the GW fans here sycophants, I'd have to put myself in that group, if you follow. There have been a lot of people singing GW's praises, but so far I have been seeing it as genuine enthusiasm. Guess some others see it as a "pack" mentality or whatever, and have been rubbed the wrong way by it.

To each his own.

Got it. I used to be on the other side of the fence during the Aero "Real Deal" heyday a couple of years ago for instance.

A

Anonymous

I don't think you'd ever get this from Eastman- the characteristic Aero zipper box shape (on a GW Aero):

zipper_box2.jpg

You get this- cleaned up, squared off, "corrected" shape (on an Eastman Aero):

talon_zipper.jpg

And this is a tiny example. Add 25 or even fifty little details like this and you can see why I call GW the "Hubble" of A-2 repros.

better duck

Clyde from Carolina said:
I don't worry too much about the "look" or fit thing, figuring if the jacket is a good repro the details will make it look right. I've seen enough loose, tight and everything in between fits in original photos that I honestly don't worry about that too much.

I agree with this statement. As much as I enjoy reading about and participating in discussions on the ins & outs of "the fit" and "the look" of repros as compared to originals and the pros & cons of the various repromakers, I always keep in mind that, no matter what reprobrand we wear, we wouldn't be noticed by A2 wearing aircrew if we could step onto an airbase in WW2 (at least it would not be our jacket attracting attention) Those guys then couldn't have cared less and all repros look good enough not to stand out in that environment. It would probably our paunches and grey hairs that would betray a lot of us... ;)

shanghai joe

like I said there should be a seperate section JUSt for GW.

Or perhaps we could re-name
the VLJ as ...........any ideas frllas??!!

havocpaul

I have said it elsewhere on the forum and I'll repeat myself here, I am a great admirer of John's jackets, I bought his very first Doniger and it is a great jacket; I hope to buy from him again once I get over several personal matters that have drained me financially and mentally. However, it does bug me that whatever the post (heck this is on 'vintage') it doesn't take long to kick into the GW 'worship'; fine, it's good to see the new jackets coming out of GW but when comments start about how Eastman, BR, Aero are now redundant and have never got it "right" it starts to annoy me somewhat. I don't think John would want hype as opposed to constructive criticism, no one has ever got anything 100% perfect. Any 'newbie' joining the forum recently might think that's all we can talk about; when someone does post info on their Eastman/BR etc it seems to drift into GW. I don't deny the start of GW in the last year has been one of the most exciting in the jacket 'world' for ages but let's not lose the plot, Eastman in particular are constantly progressing in their r&d, I am sure Gary has taken note of John's jackets (I showed him my Donni at Duxford last summer) but I doubt it will seriously change his future plans. Sorry for waffling on but the bottom line is it is fine to show and discuss our new jackets but let's not dismiss everything but GW and let's not become too over the top and lose reality...competition is healthy and there are valid competitors still out there.

shanghai joe

havocpaul said:
I have said it elsewhere on the forum and I'll repeat myself here, I am a great admirer of John's jackets, I bought his very first Doniger and it is a great jacket; I hope to buy from him again once I get over several personal matters that have drained me financially and mentally. However, it does bug me that whatever the post (heck this is on 'vintage') it doesn't take long to kick into the GW 'worship'; fine, it's good to see the new jackets coming out of GW but when comments start about how Eastman, BR, Aero are now redundant and have never got it "right" it starts to annoy me somewhat. I don't think John would want hype as opposed to constructive criticism, no one has ever got anything 100% perfect. Any 'newbie' joining the forum recently might think that's all we can talk about; when someone does post info on their Eastman/BR etc it seems to drift into GW. I don't deny the start of GW in the last year has been one of the most exciting in the jacket 'world' for ages but let's not lose the plot, Eastman in particular are constantly progressing in their r&d, I am sure Gary has taken note of John's jackets (I showed him my Donni at Duxford last summer) but I doubt it will seriously change his future plans. Sorry for waffling on but the bottom line is it is fine to show and discuss our new jackets but let's not dismiss everything but GW and let's not become too over the top and lose reality...competition is healthy and there are valid competitors still out there.

those who dare not reason is a slave

those who cannot reason is a .........

those who will not reason is a ..........

I for one do not see how perfection can exist in an imperfect world.

Of course opinion are not facts, no matter if there are in the majority.........just opinion.

So if a member opines that he has found the perfect repro, let him savour his opinion....

shanghai joe

Chris217 said:
My GW Doniger is without a doubt, the finest repro A-2 I have owned. And I've owned an ass of 'em. I am for once, completely satisfied.

Some people just don't get it.

some do obviously!

many are called , very few choose NOT to choose..........resistance is futile.........take me to your GW :eek:

satisfaction=contentment=jkt happiness?? enjoy !

shanghai joe

swoose774 said:
No matter how much you blow Goodwear, it's Still A Fucking repro. If you need the real look, buy a real one. Look on e-bay once and a while, there's a new one on every day.

Just think of the benefits: you don't have to take a bath in it, or sleep in it, or drag it behind your moped, or let your cat crap on it or any of the other stupid things people do to a new $1,000 jacket to make it look old.

They're not THAT rare, and quite frankly, for the price these "high end" repros are going for, get a real one, wear it to shreds and buy another one.

(by the way, I have a GW too and I'm wearing it today). :lol:

very eloquent........objective too since you have a GW !

me, ole fashion kinda guy...an original all the way daddy-o

let's hear it from the nayes...........naye to GW

A

Anonymous

swoose774 said:
No matter how much you blow Goodwear, it's Still A Fucking repro. If you need the real look, buy a real one. Look on e-bay once and a while, there's a new one on every day.

Just think of the benefits: you don't have to take a bath in it, or sleep in it, or drag it behind your moped, or let your cat crap on it or any of the other stupid things people do to a new $1,000 jacket to make it look old.

They're not THAT rare, and quite frankly, for the price these "high end" repros are going for, get a real one, wear it to shreds and buy another one.

Gotta disagree- If you get the right one- with the right leather that fits right we're talking a forgery which could be mistaken for a NOS WW2 A-2. I'm never comfortable wearing originals- especially the valuable large ones in the 46-48 range. I never do anything to my GWs but wear them- don't need to- unlike all the rest- in fact- I like them as much new as when they show wear- I'm like- wow! this is how it was...

shanghai joe

rotenhahn said:
swoose774 said:

Gotta disagree- If you get the right one- with the right leather that fits right we're talking a forgery which could be mistaken for a NOS WW2 A-2. I'm never comfortable wearing originals- especially the valuable large ones in the 46-48 range. I never do anything to my GWs but wear them- don't need to- unlike all the rest- in fact- I like them as much new as when they show wear- I'm like- wow! this is how it was...

defo a collector's item in 60 years time! dunno about NOS then!

Roughwear

As the owner of one of John's early Good Wear Donigers I believe his jackets are about as close one will get to the "perfect" repro. I have 13 original A2s, two of which are near mint and they could be mistaken for one of John's jackets. I wear my Doniger as a daily wearer, but also wear my originals in rotation, taking great care not to damage them.

airfrogusmc

Has anyone caught the price of an original size 52 27798 Dubow lately? The GW Dubow is a bargain and something I would wear daily. If I dropped $5000 on an original don't know if it would be a daily wearer. I've always said you want 100% authentic buy original well GW is closer than any repro I've ever seen and I've owned or seen all the major players. Paul Sanders has handled THOUSANDS or originals and he said his GW Dubow is as close as anything he's ever seen. I agree.