• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type B10 flying jacket

coalman

Hi everybody,

Have been thinking of buying another flight jacket and someone suggested considering the B10 jacket,as already have a ELC Irvin and a A2 jacket.
I have looked at both the B10 on the Aero leather site and the ELC B10 , I can see there are a few visual differences between the 2, meaning the zips along with the size/style of the pockets via the website photo's as well as the price difference of nearly £154.
Does anybody have any experiences/recomendations etc of either of these jackets, is there other differences as in material,contract etc etc which would explain why the big price difference.

Dr H

I've had a couple of examples of the ELC B-10 (in a 42L and a 44R - I sold one for the other) and I currently have an ELC B-15 in a 46R. I can't speak for the Aero version as I've not handled it. I've not seen originals in the flesh either and so can't comment on the absolute accuracy (others can corroborate), but I rate the quality of the ELC jackets on their own merits very highly.

The B-10 is very well constructed - materials are top notch (both in terms of weight and colour and detailing) and the lining looks very, very close to the original alpaca. It's warm in use and very smart - the mouton collar has a neat profile.

In terms of sizing, take care as the reason for my buy/sell frenzy was because the ELC jackets are quite trim. I wear a vintage 44 A-2, but both the 42 and the 44 were too small for me - the former gave me the flattering stuffed sausage look; the latter was comfortable over a T-shirt/shirt, but too trim and bulky over a shirt/light sweater. In my view - when it's cold enough for an alpaca jacket, it's likely that I'll also be wearing more than a shirt underneath.

So, I bit the bullet and sold on the 44R on the forum and picked up a cheaper 46R ELC B-15 on EBay. My first impression was that it's not as smart as the B-10 - I prefer the smaller collar (that stands more easily on the B-10), the patch pockets and the more trim torso. Having said that, the B-15 has proved to be more practical for me in everyday use (the corduroy-lined slash pockets are better as hand warmers, the bigger collar feels marginally warmer around the neck - although it doesn't stand up very well without the throat button, and the pencil pocket on the sleeve is more accessible. For me the 46 is great so I'd advise going a size up from your normal vintage A-2 size.

jnlight75

I would echo the advice to up-size with the ELC B-10 - especially if you are anywhere near 6' or taller. The ELC version is generally regarded as far more accurate than the Aero version, especially by those here that have also handled originals. Personally, I think I like the Buzz Rickson version better for the shell material (not as thin as the ELC), and the collar I like a little better. However, the cuffs/waistband on the Buzz are a little dark and generally not as nice as the ELC. My ideal version would be the Buzz with ELC knits. I guess if you are between Aero and ELC, ELC is the choice... assuming of course that cost has little to do with equation.

omarco

I have the ELC B10 and really rate it actually. Its nicely made and nicely cut, the alpaca isn't itchy at all and its very warm for its weight - which is considerably less than a sheepskin.

I went for a 42L and its a great fit - i'm 6ft 1 and approx 80kg.

havocpaul

The Eastman B-10 is way superior to the Aero in all aspects, price is worth the extra, you really do get what you pay for.

coalman

Would like to thank everybody for thier comments.
I agree with the old saying " you get what you pay for", however I think its going to be a hard one until I meet someone who has examples from both companies so I can compare with my own eyes, though being a big fella sizing is going to be another issue as it seems one company tends to be more generous than the other.

Tim P

I own one and have seen the other

no competition.. the Eastman one is stitch perfect for the contract. Stitch perfect. :)

go up a size and never look back.

TOMG1401

Have several, suggest look at Rickson, less $, "looks, feels" more original, don't know how else to put it. Sorry for being vague, but the BR has that " intangible"

coalman

Tim P said:
I own one and have seen the other

no competition.. the Eastman one is stitch perfect for the contract. Stitch perfect. :)

go up a size and never look back.

Tim,

I am also in Birmingham, any chance of any pics?

Regards

John

Dr H

Tim, I was just alerting John to your jacket. Glad you hooked up.
John, the images looked great (it was too large for me or I'd have bought it).
Good luck!