• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to Scotland

tjoenn

So my wife wanted to go to Scotland for fall break. We agreed on Edinburgh which just happens to be a short train-ride to Galashiels. So being that I've been wanting a Merino Irvin since I saw Jan and Burt’s, I just had to order one. I opted for the pre-war version with Russet Vicenza trim (thanks Jan!) and Waldes zippers. While in Edinburgh we stayed at a very nice place, the Royal Scots Club, which we didn’t realize until checking in wasn’t just a regular hotel. Very nice staff and lots of military history.

Our visit to Aero was fantastic. We met Danny Calder who gave us a very nice and informative tour of the facilities. Also met Tony Glover who made my jacket. He even showed my wife how to work one of the specialty sewing machines. Also bought a few trinkets and belt which my wife will give me for Christmas :cool: Then she spotted a Harris Tweed vest that happened to be an exact match of one of my hats. I told her I don’t wear vests, but after trying it on, I thought it looked great, so left with that one as well. So my wife and I have visited the old and new Eastman facilities and now Aero. If you want your better halves to appreciate this hobby, take them to where the jackets are made. Where do I take her next?

I’m very happy with the fit. First, I thought the arms were way too long, but after zipping them up, they were fine and plenty of length if they shorten due to creasing. I won’t be layering, so glad I didn’t go for an oversize fit. I need to save the few days it’s really cold for my B-3.

Attaching a few pictures of our trip for those interested. Second trip to Edinburgh but don’t think it will be our last. Quick to get to from here, loads of historic sites to see, friendly people and convenient for tourists… and not to forget, a quick train-ride to Galashiels :)

IMG_10.JPG
IMG_20.JPG
IMG_30.JPG
IMG_31.JPG
IMG_32.JPG
IMG_34.JPG
IMG_35.JPG
IMG_36.JPG
IMG_37.JPG

Spitfireace

If I didn't have an original Irvin, that would be the one I would get. I was in Edinburgh exactly three years ago and regret not making the trip out to Galashiels, but I was only there for two days and didn't have the time.

JonnyCrow

So my wife wanted to go to Scotland for fall break. We agreed on Edinburgh which just happens to be a short train-ride to Galashiels. So being that I've been wanting a Merino Irvin since I saw Jan and Burt’s, I just had to order one. I opted for the pre-war version with Russet Vicenza trim (thanks Jan!) and Waldes zippers. While in Edinburgh we stayed at a very nice place, the Royal Scots Club, which we didn’t realize until checking in wasn’t just a regular hotel. Very nice staff and lots of military history.

Our visit to Aero was fantastic. We met Danny Calder who gave us a very nice and informative tour of the facilities. Also met Tony Glover who made my jacket. He even showed my wife how to work one of the specialty sewing machines. Also bought a few trinkets and belt which my wife will give me for Christmas :cool: Then she spotted a Harris Tweed vest that happened to be an exact match of one of my hats. I told her I don’t wear vests, but after trying it on, I thought it looked great, so left with that one as well. So my wife and I have visited the old and new Eastman facilities and now Aero. If you want your better halves to appreciate this hobby, take them to where the jackets are made. Where do I take her next?

I’m very happy with the fit. First, I thought the arms were way too long, but after zipping them up, they were fine and plenty of length if they shorten due to creasing. I won’t be layering, so glad I didn’t go for an oversize fit. I need to save the few days it’s really cold for my B-3.

Attaching a few pictures of our trip for those interested. Second trip to Edinburgh but don’t think it will be our last. Quick to get to from here, loads of historic sites to see, friendly people and convenient for tourists… and not to forget, a quick train-ride to Galashiels :)

View attachment 84639View attachment 84640View attachment 84641View attachment 84642View attachment 84643View attachment 84644View attachment 84645View attachment 84647View attachment 84648
Oof all those jackets :D

mulceber

It's awesome that you got to visit Aero and see the jacket-making process up close. Danny Calder and Tony Glover sound like real pros. Your description of the trip is so vivid, I almost feel like I was there myself. And you're absolutely right, taking loved ones to see where these incredible jackets are made is such a great way to share the passion.

If you visit Scotland, you can book a room at Jungle Vista Hotel. It's my sincere recommendation. You need to stay long... Scotland truly offers a unique blend of beauty, history, and warmth. Here's to many more adventures and trips in the future, and maybe discovering more hidden gems like the ones you've found.
Wow, these bots are getting lifelike...
CBFE97B8-E630-479E-87A5-A678AEA1C712_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Otter

I always recommend people to visit Torridon area, Gods own country. North coast is beautiful but the 500 has made it too damn busy.