• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many options for one man. A-2 options discussed.

Wedge417

Hi guys,

Just a quick update, and another question.
I've received my vintage E series Brill Bros G-1. in size 44. It's a nice jacket for the everyday work use. But I thought taking a size 44 vintage, would fit my modern frame. Actually the 44 is way too big. I'm wondering if even a 42 would be too big for a G-1.

I've read here and there that G-1s are far more forgiving in term of size than A-2s, G-1s are roomier. What's your experience on G-1s sizing?

Should I totally discard any size correlation between the A2 and the G-1?

Thanks

Brettafett

Hi Wedge,

My humble opinion, yes. You can't compare an A-2 and a G-1.

Very different patterns/ cuts. Main thing are those bi-swing backs, which are a lot more 'forgiving' for moving around in, lifting arms etc.

Then, as far as original G-1s (M-422as, ANJs etc) go, size and fit vary from year to year. The early 55J14 for example had a very narrow torso with wider shoulders.
The patterns evened out a bit over time.
The more modern the jacket, the roomier they become (in most cases)

Im a 40" chest and find I can wear a 40 or a 42 in most '60s and 70s G-1s, although almost all run short for my liking.

Not to be a broken record, but have you considered trying one of AVI LTHR's 55J14 G-1s?
They are great jackets for the price and even if its just to gauge size, they are returnable.

Wedge417

Thanks for the reply Brett.

Actually since the G-1 I have is a 1982 E series, which from what I could read are not the best in quality, I was considering getting a modern repro. I was looking at AVI and five star (although the relatively low price of the 5* is actually a bit scary)

The Avi looks really nice but maybe a bit dark for my liking. I really like that brown shade the issue jacket has. Is it just the picture lighting on their website or is the AVI closer to a dark seal color?

Brettafett

My one was a lovely seal colour, not too dark... Similar as a couple of originals Ive owned, maybe even lighter than some...
The newer ones do appear darker in some photos... I can't say for sure, but doesn't look any darker than ELCs 55J14..
Im waiting for their rendition of the Star Sportswear, I think its a '63 model, but am happy to be corrected.

ausreenactor

Thanks to everybody for all the worthy advice. I'll drop an email to Platon this weekend to get the process going and hopefully get a jacket in 6 or so months.

In the meantime as advised I'll leave a deposit with GW to get that other A-2 running.

All that talk about sizes was really helpful as I can fully appreciate A-2's tend to be tricky from maker to maker. Here begins my journey into learning more about this iconic jacket and its contemporary offsprings.

Also it got me to bounce on some of the comments made. I'm a military historian as part of other things, and it's really interesting to see all the effort we all put both makers and wearers in trying to find the most accurate and best fitting garment. As opposed to WW2 aircrew men who were most likely rushed into picking the best fitting size, sometimes quite arbitrary as some period pictures demonstrate. (Things haven't much changed as fellow active and retired service men might remember from their kit issue process)
Taking on board advice from the VLJ forum. You can not go wrong! And both jackets will blow you away....

Enjoy the ride..

Greg Gale

My one was a lovely seal colour, not too dark... Similar as a couple of originals Ive owned, maybe even lighter than some...
The newer ones do appear darker in some photos... I can't say for sure, but doesn't look any darker than ELCs 55J14..
Im waiting for their rendition of the Star Sportswear, I think its a '63 model, but am happy to be corrected.

when their Star deops that’s a G-1 I may pull the trigger on. I have an original Martin Lane, but I would love to have one that I can patch up.

Mike Littlewolf

This is for five star. I have read many posts about it.The zipper, label and maroon knits need to be improved. Everything else is done very well. The key is that the price is very attractive and worth entering. At the same time, pay a deposit of $200 and enjoy the service of GW. Of course, change the color, leather and contract I like monarch 23378 and Bronco 29191.
FE4D3EF6-86CA-402B-88D8-DE48FAFEFCD6.jpeg

Last edited:

2BM2K

May I ask where you sourced the Dubow label from?

As you have gone to so much troubled to get the details right you might like to consider better snaps.
Original 27798's used different snaps for the pocket and the collar, the pocket snap had a dimple.
FS uses the same size snap for both locations and no dimple.

Here are original 27798's snaps;

016-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Mike Littlewolf

May I ask where you sourced the Dubow label from?

As you have gone to so much troubled to get the details right you might like to consider better snaps.
Original 27798's used different snaps for the pocket and the collar, the pocket snap had a dimple.
FS uses the same size snap for both locations and no dimple.

Here are original 27798's snaps;

View attachment 65979

View attachment 65980
The label is my friend's. He once made some 27798 jackets. I just saw the pictures of five star.I think the dimple of the snaps are shallower than the original one
FF7975A2-0F80-4D7A-92FA-F422E0612B7F.png

Wedge417

By the way I am parting with the newly received G-1 size 44 as it's too large for me. It'll add some bucks to my Dubow saving money.
I don't think I can post on VLJ to sell it. But as you've all been so friendly and helpful, if you're interested please PM me and I can send you detailed pictures if interested.

Wedge417

Ok everybody, my A-2 finally arrived. The jacket as advertised is stunning! It is such an update from the previous one I've had.

The only thing that initially bothered me was that, Platon shipped a size 42 instead of the ordered size 44.

But after consideration I'm thinking that might not be such a bad idea as it fits quite well. My wife's expert eyes also suggest me to keep the jacket rather than get a 44.

The 44 would only add a few inches pit to pit, on the length and on the sleeves right? So I take it wouldn't be such a huge change after all.

The only concern I have is shrinkage over time? I'm currently at my stabilised weight. I intend to wear the jacket as a second skin, 7 days a week so my guess is that the leather would conform to my body shape in the long run.

Here are some photos below where I'm wearing the jacket over a Pendleton wool shirt+Tshirt.
Let me know what you think.

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_1004.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg

mulceber

Looks like a good fit to me. Yes, the jacket will shrink a bit with lengthy wear: figure half an inch from most of the main measurements. But from the way it looks on you, I think you've got enough room for it to lose that and still be comfortable. Congrats on a great jacket!

Pa12

Thank you again for all your precious input.

Height wise I'm lucky (I guess) I'm on the short side. Just about 5'7 or 170cm.

If I refer to tailor measurements, as per Platon's website:

Shoulder circumference 50'5" or 129cm

Chest in between sizes 43" or 110cm

Waist 39" or 100cm

Which as always puts me in between sizes between a 42 and a 44.

If any of you have experience with the 42 and 44 sizes from Platon I'd be grateful if could share.

Also and I apologize for the silly question but how does A-2s normally behave in time. Do they rather have a tendency to shrink or to expand morphing on the owner's shape?
I had a Platon 44. Almost fit. A bit snug doing up the zipper at the chest and arms about an inch short. But the jacket is the nicest I’ve ever seen in the flesh. In some ways nicer then my Eastman. So I ordered a 46.But as far as talking to them, good luck. I ordered mine December 22. Immediately got a PayPal receipt, but that’s it. I’m at week 11 and I email for an update every couple weeks. Always get an auto reply saying they’ll get back to me in due course. I’m not worried but it would be nice to get a short email verifying the order with a rough eta. I’m 5’11”, 43 inch chest, 185 lbs, pretty good shape ( work out with weights regularly).