• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many options for one man. A-2 options discussed.

Pa12

Ok everybody, my A-2 finally arrived. The jacket as advertised is stunning! It is such an update from the previous one I've had.

The only thing that initially bothered me was that, Platon shipped a size 42 instead of the ordered size 44.

But after consideration I'm thinking that might not be such a bad idea as it fits quite well. My wife's expert eyes also suggest me to keep the jacket rather than get a 44.

The 44 would only add a few inches pit to pit, on the length and on the sleeves right? So I take it wouldn't be such a huge change after all.

The only concern I have is shrinkage over time? I'm currently at my stabilised weight. I intend to wear the jacket as a second skin, 7 days a week so my guess is that the leather would conform to my body shape in the long run.

Here are some photos below where I'm wearing the jacket over a Pendleton wool shirt+Tshirt.
Let me know what you think.

View attachment 76124
View attachment 76125
View attachment 76126
Mind if I ask how how long it took to receive from Platon?

CBI

looks good but geeeez, if you ordered a 44, that's what should have been sent. Or there should have been some communication in advance: Hey, I am going to send you a marked 42 and this is why............

Easy for me to say, I know but...............

B-Man2

The jacket looks good on you. Actually it’s a perfect fit on you . You mentioned that you stabilized your weight. This jacket fits you nicely now, but if you happen to gain a few pounds then the 44 might have been the better choice . I have a problem with the jackets I bought in the early years of collecting them . They all fit me perfectly back in those days . Oddly enough they must have all been made out of inferior Horsehide that shrinks overtime because they are all a little tight in me today .
Go figure :oops:
;)

Wedge417

Looks good to me also..I’ve always preferred the baggy fit but if your wearing it as a second skin maybe you will be happier with what you have than sizing up
Thanks! Well I've done baggy. I bought my first A-2 about 14 years ago, at an age where it was hard to try and find the best stuff out there. Being a lot less knowledgeable than now, and not having access to the nice community we have over here, I opted for what was at the time the best affordable option. That jacket being too baggy and too heavy. so I'm quite happy with the Dubow being on the snug side. With the two jackets I can balance my looks.

Wedge417

I had a Platon 44. Almost fit. A bit snug doing up the zipper at the chest and arms about an inch short. But the jacket is the nicest I’ve ever seen in the flesh. In some ways nicer then my Eastman. So I ordered a 46.But as far as talking to them, good luck. I ordered mine December 22. Immediately got a PayPal receipt, but that’s it. I’m at week 11 and I email for an update every couple weeks. Always get an auto reply saying they’ll get back to me in due course. I’m not worried but it would be nice to get a short email verifying the order with a rough eta. I’m 5’11”, 43 inch chest, 185 lbs, pretty good shape ( work out with weights regularly).
I've been seeing you have some trouble talking to Platon. It's odd as we've had pretty neat and friendly exchanges from the start with a 48/72 h period latency between replies. Our exchanges were effective, if I had to sum it up it would look like this.

End of September 2021
" I want to buy a jacket but don't know my size" - " send me your measurements" - "ok you need this size, it'll take this much time, don't bother writing in between" - " Fine by me, just give me a shout when you're about to ship the jacket".

Beginning of March 2022
" Hey the jacket is ready to ship, send me the rest of the money" - "ok", "cash received, here's the tracking number"

Sat. March 12
"Jacket received, but wrong size" - "terribly sorry, send it back to us we'll refund the shipping and send you a size 44"

So at least for me Platon has been really quick, effective, friendly and communicative. I was advised by the people here not to worry and that Platon would deliver. I trusted what I was told, but out of safety I only paid a deposit first.

Perhaps you should try to call them, depending where you are? Skype calls don't cost that much, just be careful of the time zone.

Wedge417

looks good but geeeez, if you ordered a 44, that's what should have been sent. Or there should have been some communication in advance: Hey, I am going to send you a marked 42 and this is why............

Easy for me to say, I know but...............
Yeah I know I was a bit :(:confused::mad: when I saw the 42 hole punched on the card and checked the neck tag.

As it happens I have the worst of luck when ordering online so I was expecting something much worse , a lost parcel or something of the sort perhaps. But it turned out ok.

Wedge417

The jacket looks good on you. Actually it’s a perfect fit on you . You mentioned that you stabilized your weight. This jacket fits you nicely now, but if you happen to gain a few pounds then the 44 might have been the better choice . I have a problem with the jackets I bought in the early years of collecting them . They all fit me perfectly back in those days . Oddly enough they must have all been made out of inferior Horsehide that shrinks overtime because they are all a little tight in me today .
Go figure :oops:
;)
Yeah that's also my concern. But all in all I figure the 44 isn't that big a difference. I want short sleeves and a short jacket so that's ok with me. The only issue I have is with the bust circ. The 44 has an extra inch pit to pit. Is an inch really going to change how the jacket feels?
Plus as I mentioned I do stack a thick wool shirt+tshirt underneath it right now, so I should be fine with cotton shirts when the sunny days are back.
As for shape well I don't intend to gain more weight than that. Actually I'm in the process of losing. As for age and body change, ...hopefully my wallet will allow me to afford a size 44 or 46 if needed by then. ;):p

Pa12

I've been seeing you have some trouble talking to Platon. It's odd as we've had pretty neat and friendly exchanges from the start with a 48/72 h period latency between replies. Our exchanges were effective, if I had to sum it up it would look like this.

End of September 2021
" I want to buy a jacket but don't know my size" - " send me your measurements" - "ok you need this size, it'll take this much time, don't bother writing in between" - " Fine by me, just give me a shout when you're about to ship the jacket".

Beginning of March 2022
" Hey the jacket is ready to ship, send me the rest of the money" - "ok", "cash received, here's the tracking number"

Sat. March 12
"Jacket received, but wrong size" - "terribly sorry, send it back to us we'll refund the shipping and send you a size 44"

So at least for me Platon has been really quick, effective, friendly and communicative. I was advised by the people here not to worry and that Platon would deliver. I trusted what I was told, but out of safety I only paid a deposit first.

Perhaps you should try to call them, depending where you are? Skype calls don't cost that much, just be careful of the time zone.
Wow. Ordered mine on their website. To date, I have never heard a word from them except auto replies that say we will get in touch with you in due course. Perhaps you got better service because you didn’t pay in full? I didn’t even know that was an option. I’m in Canada.

Wedge417

Wow. Ordered mine on their website. To date, I have never heard a word from them except auto replies that say we will get in touch with you in due course. Perhaps you got better service because you didn’t pay in full? I didn’t even know that was an option. I’m in Canada.
I emailed Platon directly via the email form on their website.
Skype call sounds like a good option to know exactly where they are in the process. I wouldn't recommend emailing them every month or so. Platon seems like a nice guy, but I know my greeks, and he could take the piss.
Just give'em a call during the week, Tuesday seems a good time, check for Greek Orthodox feasts to be sure to actually reach them while they're at work, call at around 14h30/15h00 greek time.

As for the payment I just told him that's how I would do, he agreed and that was that. Deposit is always safer for these long distance purchases.

Pa12

Maybe I’ll try that. I’m not too worried, but if a jacket never showed up I’d be pissed. And after that wait I received the wrong size I’d be even more pissed.

Pa12

I’ve never used Skype. Is there a phone number? Don’t see one on the website.

Brettafett

Wedge, I think the jacket looks great! Fit 'appears' right on also.
Thats said, you have to wear it, so its your call. Think hard about it, because you have an opp to exchange for a 44 now, that you won't have later.
My circa 2 yr old Dubow has 'shrunk about 0.5" in back length, not much in sleeves (strangely enough), maybe 0.25", and not at all in pit to pit.
Its only been worn lightly however and not in any real heavy downpours...

Pa12

Something interesting about the Platon 44 I had. When I compared measurements to the website everything was spot on except the sleeves. Mine were 1 1/4 shorter. I bought it new with tags on eBay. I suspect someone had the sleeves shortened. Of course the ad didn’t mention that. I think I could have lived with the tightness of the chest but the sleeves made me look like a bit of a knuckle dragger. With the knits stretched out to their fullest they barely covered my wrists.

Wedge417

As it's been a week I've been wearing Platon's A-2 every day and the sun was out today, it was a good occasion to post some photos.

I'm really glad I kept the size 42. It fits me well, allowing me to work and move around in the jacket. I've been keeping my A-2 at work, giving classes, writing on school boards, reaching out to pick up things and all I can say is the leather and cut is very comfortable.

The only issue I have would be with the pocket snaps. Have any of you had any problems with them? I like to use my A-2 pockets for keys, zippo, wallet, but after 1 week normal use, I feel the snaps are a bit wobbly. Is is something you've noticed as well or is it my imagination?

IMG_1046.jpeg
IMG_1051.jpeg

B-Man2

When you say “wobbly “ do you mean that they come undone easily? Or just that they move around a lot when snapped?
If it’s just a matter of moving around or from side to side, while snapped I wouldn’t be concerned. If the snap pops off and doesn’t hold then that needs some attention.

Wedge417

No idea..see you’ve upped the anti with the denims…good job
Thanks! the weather is changing quickly over here, a couple of weeks ago it was wool and quilt jacket, this week I'm lucky I can bring out the Japanese denim out, but already it's getting hot quickly, soon I'll be in HBT as it seems. Seasons aren't as marked as they used to be where I live.

ausreenactor

As it's been a week I've been wearing Platon's A-2 every day and the sun was out today, it was a good occasion to post some photos.

I'm really glad I kept the size 42. It fits me well, allowing me to work and move around in the jacket. I've been keeping my A-2 at work, giving classes, writing on school boards, reaching out to pick up things and all I can say is the leather and cut is very comfortable.

The only issue I have would be with the pocket snaps. Have any of you had any problems with them? I like to use my A-2 pockets for keys, zippo, wallet, but after 1 week normal use, I feel the snaps are a bit wobbly. Is is something you've noticed as well or is it my imagination?

View attachment 76693View attachment 76694
Looks good!

Think the fit is great. Glad you are happy with it.