• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of an aero leather A2

alabama

Hi.
I am new to this site and really new to flight jackets, although i have owed an Aviation Leathercraft A2 for around 30 years.
I am now to big for that jacket and want a new one. I am thinking of a aero leather
Real Deal A2.
All i know of them is what i have read on their site and a little research on line, that's how i found you guys.
They seem to get good reviews and are not silly money like Eastman. Now i know you get what you pay for, but i have a
limited budget. So do you think the Real deal A2 is worth the £450 aero leather are asking for it.
I gota say i like the look of it in Seal brown, plus i can get to aero leather from where i live.
Thank you for any help at all.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. If you are after a really accurate repro A2 you will not get it from Aero Leather. Their civi jackets are highly rated here, but other makers would be the way to go for an A2 IMO. The most accurate A2s are made by Goodwear Leather, but unless you buy second hand, they will be outside your budget. Bill Kelso Mfg are a relatively new maker and their latest original maker A2s are excellent value for the money and are worth checking out.

http://www.billkelsomfg.com/site/#!home

CBI

I agree, go with a Kelso or keep your eye on eBay for a used Eastman.

Glad you are interested is an upgrade.

What size are you needing?

Lots of guys on the forum with jackets to sell......maybe a good deal might be via here.............

alabama

Not sure what size i am will get my wife to measure me when she is back from London on Tuesday,
She made her own wedding dress and is often asked to make other people's so she will be accurate.
As for getting addicted i may already be.
Checked out the Bill Kelso Mfg and they do look good, and are a little cheaper. can not see where they are based.
Be interesting to see if there are any in support of Areo leather. because to be honest i still like them.
And as i say i can drive up there and try them on.
I will check back tomorrow.
Cheers

ButteMT61

If 100% accuracy is your need, then the makers are fewer. Otherwise, I love Aero and have a few of them myself. Excellent jackets. And it's not like they put warmer pockets and fleece on their A-2's, they're just not quite as perfect in the "stitch for stitch" world of accuracy. Again, does that matter to you? If not, enjoy. And welcome. Start saving :lol:

Roughwear

ButteMT61 said:
If 100% accuracy is your need, then the makers are fewer. Otherwise, I love Aero and have a few of them myself. Excellent jackets. And it's not like they put warmer pockets and fleece on their A-2's, they're just not quite as perfect in the "stitch for stitch" world of accuracy. Again, does that matter to you? If not, enjoy. And welcome. Start saving :lol:

It really depends how discerning one is. Certainly an Aero A2 would be a significanct improvement on an ALC A2.

Vcruiser

I've got three Aero A2s...including a 'Real Deal'..but in jerky russet. If Aero is nearby..go visit...and try one on..then see what you think! That could assure you of a good fit,too. ;)
Van

SuinBruin

Assuming it's in good working condition, the original Crown on that jacket is worth a couple hundred bucks by itself.

ButteMT61

The guy that bought it originally had quite a few and I believe it's legit. I almost bought it last year.
But that's me, lower standards and all. :roll:

bseal

alabama said:
Hi.
So do you think the Real deal A2 is worth the £450 aero leather are asking for it.
I gota say i like the look of it in Seal brown, plus i can get to aero leather from where i live.
Thank you for any help at all.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/eval_dir.shtml

If you had visited the Fedora Lounge first and posed your question there:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdis ... -Outerwear

You would have more than likely received a resounding "yes, they are the cat's pajamas, go for it, etc."

Since this is not the Lounge, you will be politely tolerated by most of us here, present company included, as we used to believe they were in a shared top category for A-2 reproduction.

My two cents is nice leathers and good communication from their factory representative.

MikeyB-17

Aero make great jackets-excellent leather and beautifully made, an Aero will last you a lifetime if you want it to. Their customer service has an excellent reputation. However Aero's military jackets are a bit of a sideline to their superb civilian jackets, and they are only prepared to go so far down the accuracy route. Start getting too deeply into the fine details and they start moaning about 'nit picking'. They have funny ideas about what constitutes accuracy as well-they refuse to reproduce the stitched triangle in the waist knit on Aero A-2's 'because it tears the knit and we don't reproduce faults', and they use single-weave cuffs instead of the correct double weave because they say they're better. However, bear in mind you will find the only people who give two hoots how accurate a jacket is are on forums like this one-nobody in the Real World is the slightest bit interested. Your friends will start nodding off if you try to tell them all about your new jacket. To all but the most obsessed accuracy fiend, Aero's jackets are plenty close enough. If it's 100%, bang-on accuracy you're after, Goodwear are about your only option, however you ain't gonna get one, even used, for the sort of money you're talking about unless you're very lucky. If I was getting another A-2, I would seriously look at Bill Kelso (although they are in Greece(?)-I have dealt with them and found them fine, but buying from abroad has obvious potential for complications). Otherwise if you're not too bothered about the fine details, I'm sure Aero will do you fine, especially if you have the option to go there in person and get the sizing issues nailed.

KevG

I have an Aero real deal in dark seal (bought when they were £350)

Fabulous jacket

I've also just ordered a Bill Kelso 'generic' A2 jacket as I have been after a russet version A2 for a while, again not bothered about a 100% accurate contract copy

However, the more time I spend on this forum the more I am getting the bug...

So, I think my next purchase will be an original vintage A2 - just trying to decide which contract and keeping an eye out for a 46" which I know is going to be tough to find

alabama

Evening Guys.
Thank you for all the replies.
MikeyB-17 I think i am thinking the same as you on the ? on Greece, but i am a bit wary on sending money
to a country that is in such a state. I don't want to take a chance on Bill Kelso thru no fault of their own
going down the pan, and not seeing the jacket. It probably wont and i really hope it does not happen. KevG will you post on here when you get your jacket from them.
I have thought long and hard about a used jacket, and have decided against one. I now know that the Aviation Leathercraft
A2 is not one of the best, but i love it, every thing that has happened to it is down to me, ( and maybe a couple of ex girlfriend's) So i want the history of the new one to be all mine. It may sound silly but probably not to you guys, but i know my A2 I have painted some nose art on the back and left front. On the back i originally painted the Flying Tigers emblem.
Then over painted that. The one that has been on for the last 25 years is Miss Dallas from Vic France's P47. I was at a RAF Mildenhall air show and a guy tapped me on the back and asked if i minded him taking a picture of the jacket. He would not say why but he said that art meant a lot to him.
As far as being historically accurate, well i am going to think i am a new pilot during WW2 i am not going to worry about something being a 1/2 inch out of place or if it is the right shade of seal it's a cool jacket and i am going to wear the bloody thing.
thing. It will be a while before i get up to Aero Leathers but i will let you know when i have it. Thank you once again for your help.
Cheers Clive.

Roughwear

I can understand you are reluctant to order a BK jacket. However as the payment is only via Paypal you will not lose out if the jacket does not materialise.

At present you may not be after an authentic repro, but if you stick around here your views are likely to change and perhaps like many will order a GW A2.