• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things to look for when buying an original jacket.

Dumpster D

nothing beats an original

Would like to hear you expand on that, in detail.

Do you suppose it could be that a used leather Jacket is more broken in and better fitting, or are we talking about the 'look' and quality here or is it something more than that?

What is it about a persons form, and 'aura'?

Does an original make your spirit shine somehow esoterically when worn?

The right Jacket on a person just gives them some kind of amazing vibe that is truly special, and it's rare but it's there. I see Celebs going through a' vintage leather jacket' getup phase thing, trying to capture that energy, but it comes off as being a bit phoney Hollywood and doesn't have the real magic. That is self evident there's something in an old worn out Jacket that has some kind of power to it.

I believe the right vintage leather Jacket has the power to bring that out, a persons aura.

Is it the clothes that make the man?

Last edited:

P-47 thunderbolt

An original ww2 A2 has a feel to it, mostly psychological of course but the same as a Spitfire made in 1940 has an aura that one made post war lacks, or even less so, a recent re-manufactured one.
It's that 'grail' thing.
It has 1940s wartime embedded into it. From the quick stitching to the thinner utilitarian leather, the patina from wartime use. Just so much embedded history. It was actually there.

A repro A2 lacks the aura but can still become 'your' jacket and get some of that vintage quality. But it will never be the same. A repro is a repro is a repro

P-47 thunderbolt

......but I'm too sentimental and in awe of an original to wear one willy nilly.

In a way, wearing an Iraq war A2 is closer to the feel of wearing a ww2 A2 in the 60s/70s if you know what I mean.
I wouldn't have qualms about wearing a Cooper A2 daily.

B-Man2

Apologies, I have assisted the derailing of the thread
That’s ok … everyone is making some good points . The thread was posted to help out new guys who might be interested in purchasing an original. Everyone’s opinion regarding purchasing and wearing original jackets are valid.

mulceber

And with an original you can survey the leather and try it on for size but give er a shake to check the strength of the thread.
If the seller will let you do that, it's definitely a good idea. Something I found out recently that shocked me is that apparently nowadays, cotton thread is only guaranteed for about 10 years. Clothing manufacturers aren't supposed to use it if it's been sitting on the shelf for a decade. Makes me feel a whole lot more nervous about the stitching on 80-year old jackets.o_O

edit: further information supplied by John Chapman - these are industry standards for large-scale clothing manufacturers, and the concern is not about the longevity of the garment, but that the stress the thread undergoes while being sewn would cause older cotton thread to break. Different machines, different thicknesses of thread, and different dyes can all make old cotton thread more or less usable.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Like buying a used motorcycle off eBay sight unseen. Yes I did that once. Didn’t get the full unga bunga treatment but I was a bit disappointed after the 9 hr drive to pick it up.:rolleyes:

I would never buy a used bike. No way.

You want something that starts and runs straight off the bat, worth just paying the extra cash and save yourself a money pit project that goes wayyy over budget. I presume some Vintage leather jackets are the same way if you go down that road.

My friend got an ATV once off some kid on kijiji sight unseen, he stripped it, and powder coated the frame and rebuilt it from the frame back up, invested a LOT of time and effort to save money where he could...Only to find the block had a nice crack in it...and was basically a dead pile of worthless Junk after all his hard work.

Live and learn, get burned.

Pa12

I would never buy a used bike. No way.

You want something that starts and runs straight off the bat, worth just paying the extra cash and save yourself a money pit project that goes wayyy over budget. I presume some Vintage leather jackets are the same way if you go down that road.

My friend got an ATV once off some kid on kijiji sight unseen, he stripped it, and powder coated the frame and rebuilt it from the frame back up, invested a LOT of time and effort to save money where he could...Only to find the block had a nice crack in it...and was basically a dead pile of worthless Junk after all his hard work.

Live and learn, get burned.
This was a 30 plus year old Harley. Was still worth what I paid, but a little disappointing. Bought it in PA during a rare window when our money was on par. From a Harley dealer in state college.

entertainment

If the seller will let you do that, it's definitely a good idea. Something I found out recently that shocked me is that apparently nowadays, cotton thread is only guaranteed for about 10 years. Clothing manufacturers aren't supposed to use it if it's been sitting on the shelf for a decade. Makes me feel a whole lot more nervous about the stitching on 80-year old jackets.o_O
This is why most jean manufacturers use polycore thread--except for the hardcore selvage people. And 100% cotton thread breaks frequently during the sewing process. I am sure JC could tell us some stories!

Dumpster D

Old airplanes used to be covered in grade a cotton. Even with sun barrier and several coats of dope it generally lasted 5 years.

check out what's left of Billy Bishops Plane in the Ottawa museum? It's pretty rough...what's left of it.