• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theater made nylon jackets

Willy McCoy

What type of person would have a south east Asian tailor make a jacket during the Vietnam era? Why? I got a jacket off eBay (item number: 200262044683). It is very well made. Where would the tailor procure the nylon and knits? Check out the FLYINGMANS LIGHT ZONAL2B spec on the nomenclature tag. The jacket is a cross between an MA-1 & an L-2B. It has a cigarette pocket zipper that has an "invisible" nylon flap that hides the zipper from the elements. Zipper made by SHK. Would this jacket be allowed in flight? Any info would be appreciated.

watchmanjimg

Looks like a Korean copy. My uncle brought one back in the late '60s, but for all we know this one could have been made yesterday. In any case it's probably not a bad deal for the price.

Willy McCoy

The wind flap is about two inches shorter on both ends than the MA-1's with no zig-zag stitching. The zippers are kinda' less refined than military spec.

Willy McCoy

JACKET FLYINGMAN'S LIGHT ZONAL-2B
MIL-J-74486(USAF) 8415-817-0537
DSA-100-1100
ALPHA INDUSTRIES, INS
LINING: 36% WOOL 64% NYLON
DRY CLEAN ONLY
MADE BY
KYUNG BOOK TAILOR CO.

Spelled just like that on tag.

A

Anonymous

I would say in your case, perfectly suited for duty involving flying, smoke em if ya got em.

A

Anonymous

Willy McCoy said:
What type of person would have a south east Asian tailor make a jacket during the Vietnam era? Why? I got a jacket off eBay (item number: 200262044683). It is very well made. Where would the tailor procure the nylon and knits? Check out the FLYINGMANS LIGHT ZONAL2B spec on the nomenclature tag. The jacket is a cross between an MA-1 & an L-2B. It has a cigarette pocket zipper that has an "invisible" nylon flap that hides the zipper from the elements. Zipper made by SHK. Would this jacket be allowed in flight? Any info would be appreciated.

No nylon for US military aircrew since late 1970's. Nomex. or Leather in C-130's and a few other aircraft. Hate for you to go up in flames on us Willy. Could not live with myself. ;)

Willy McCoy

wing nut said:
Willy McCoy said:
No nylon for US military aircrew since late 1970's. Nomex. or Leather in C-130's and a few other aircraft. Hate for you to go up in flames on us Willy. Could not live with myself. ;)

Give a nickle to be your wingman wingnut.
Found this website when googling Kimpo K-14
http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/Co ... 0Korea.htm
Went to google earth and found both spellings Kyung bok and Kyung book very near Kimpo.