• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The White Prestige Suit

Andrew

Yeah, they look great, but you have to wonder about the choice of fabric colour for all things mechanical.

Lebensgefahr

Hi

The prestige suit you have shown may be a close copy of motoring overalls of the time but i`m afraid it`s bears no resemblance to prestige suits used during the war.While there were several different patterns used the most common were by D Lewis or S Lewis and these differ from the one you have shown considerably.They had two chest pockets,eppaulettes,two open calf pockets,zip closure to the front, a buckle and tab closure to the collar,zip closure to the wrists and ankles and the belt was fitted with a buckle.
They came in three colours(blue,black and white)and there were two grades of material and they were made with a conventional collar and with a collar stand.

I have three original suits,one in each colour and i have the manufacturers specifications(also i have handled a number of other suits owned by friends) so i speak with a certain amount of experience.
I have seen the repros on the market and while they are a lot closer to the originals if you have handled an original you can spot them a mile off even if they have taken on some age.

Hope this helps
Lebensgefahr
:)

flyboy

Thank you Lebensgefahr - I know it's not the same as the RAF suit. (Never said so either ;) )
I also know that Pegasus Militaria still make some repro RAF suits, which should be pretty close to the originals. I have yet to see one of their repros though - but they are about double up in price. Just thought some of our members were motorists instead of flyboys - and it had their interest.

rich

Didn't Keith Park wear one of these Soren (or is that just from the BoB movie?)

ps.jpg

flyboy

I am old - but not that old. I wasn't there :lol: :lol: :lol:
No - I do believe he sported one of these, when he flew around in his own Hurricane visiting his squadrons during BoB.
I have been trying to find a pic but no luck up to now.