• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The one jacket

ZuZu

ZuZu, I didn't even know those existed, those are cool. There isn't a repro company that makes them? That's surprising. They look killer with the leather gloves.
If you go through the squadron photos of the 8th AF you see that by the last half of the war these were very common. I've seen footage on the liberation of Stalags which shows people wearing these but for such a common jacket it's weird how they have disappeared. I think (pure speculation) that the AAF must have been very concerned about getting these back and not allowing guys to keep them like B10s and A2s. I'd really like to get one though...

B-Man2

If you go through the squadron photos of the 8th AF you see that by the last half of the war these were very common. I've seen footage on the liberation of Stalags which shows people wearing these but for such a common jacket it's weird how they have disappeared. I think (pure speculation) that the AAF must have been very concerned about getting these back and not allowing guys to keep them like B10s and A2s. I'd really like to get one though...
Zu
What size would you wear?
If any us come across one we can pass the info on to you .

JonnyCrow

Yeah very rare like ellusive. I've stopped looking for it many years ago as I couldn't make the difference between original and fake/hoax... maybe one day I will grow balls and ask here if one is available...;)

To answer your question more in phase with your very nice MC Buco J-31, I am currently looking for a nice early 80's Brimaco perfecto. Its getting rarer in the condition I am looking for. Don't ask why many Brimaco's have passed through my door... and I am left with a size 44 too big for my frame.

Any Irvin that has a provenance attached to any WW2 RCAF squadron would rock my chair

https://www.bellsaviation.com/product/30121.html f2 outer officer, General electric :)

JonnyCrow

A very rare bird indeed

ZuZu

Zu
What size would you wear?
If any us come across one we can pass the info on to you .
I am a 46 normally but I think these jackets were cut large because of all the stuff they went over. Probably a 42 would work but 44 best. I really appreciate that- I've gotten many great jackets from info passed along to me!

Wz1999

A jacket I'd blow up my collection for? No. Hard pass. Like @CBI, I'd get bored.

Now, a dream jacket? Probably a Good Wear russet Rough Wear A-2 in this leather, which unfortunately John doesn't stock anymore. Either that or an Eastman Poughkeepsie AN-J-4. I like all the details, particularly the shearling on the inside of the cuffs, which no one else seems to do.
Wow! That GW 23380 is a killer!!!

mulceber

Wow! That GW 23380 is a killer!!!
Repro:
front_view3.jpg

Original:
front_view3.jpg

Really is a shame that John doesn't have access to more of this stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a better russet RW repro.

Juanito

Easy: Mint original, size 46, Dubow 27798, Rough Wear 27752, Star Sportswear, or United Sheeplined A-2. Any of those would be the grail.

I have looked for over 40 years for these jackets and have never been quick enough to catch one.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Not so much a specific type of jacket than specific jackets themselves.
For me, I'd pay anything to have my Uncle's A2. He was awarded the DFC for flying the Himalayas during WW2. I have a photo of him around here somewhere in it, but the family all says he didnt come home from the war with it.
That, or any of the crew jackets from the "Sugar Blues," a B-17 from the 323rd BS, 91st BG. I befriended the copilot of that bird in the 90s and I have what is probably the only existing piece of the plane known today, melted to the side of a flak piece that was recovered from a mission. The rest of the bird is at the bottom of the North Sea.

JonnyCrow

For me, I'd pay anything to have my Uncle's A2. He was awarded the DFC for flying the Himalayas during WW2. I have a photo of him around here somewhere in it, but the family all says he didnt come home from the war with it.
That, or any of the crew jackets from the "Sugar Blues," a B-17 from the 323rd BS, 91st BG. I befriended the copilot of that bird in the 90s and I have what is probably the only existing piece of the plane known today, melted to the side of a flak piece that was recovered from a mission. The rest of the bird is at the bottom of the North Sea.
Ditched Feb 44 based at Bassingbourn
42-37939-photo.jpg

JonnyCrow

Be nice to see that artwork on a jacket

JonnyCrow

Which one was your Uncle?

Delivered Denver 21/10/43; Gr Island 9/11/43; Assigned 323BS/91BG Bassingbourn 20/12/43; 15m Missing in Action Oschersleben 22/2/44 with Roman Maziarz, Co-pilot: Peter DeloWounded in Action, Navigator: Mortimer Pudnos, Bombardier: Arthur Clay, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Joe Depoti, Radio Operator: Joe La Cascia, Ball turret gunner: Walt Meader, Waist gunner: Tony Barbotti, Waist gunner: Urban Jacoboski,Tail gunner: Bob Heller (10 Returned to Duty); hit by enemy aircraft causing severe damage, ditched North Sea, and rescued by Air Sea Rescue after four hours. SUGAR BLUES

JonnyCrow

Wow the crew did have a A2 with artwork, wonder what happened to that
media-51118.jpeg~2.jpg

MauldinFan

Yep, the RAF kept all but one of them as they fished the crew out of the Sea with an ASR boat. Something about maritime salvage, they said.
That's why the crew is wearing RAF cast-off unforms in that photo. And yes, Starcer did paint those.