• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The one jacket

cgreen

Hi All,

Happy Memorial Day to all of our Stateside folks, hope it's been a good one. I've mentioned this before in other posts but in addition to jackets I'm a big watch guy, and in that world discussions often turn to what watch you would blow up the collection for.

Applying that to jackets, is there a jacket that each of you would trade every other jacket that you own to acquire? Would it be a vintage German horsehide from the 40s or 50s? Would it be a trip to Japan to be personally measured and fitted for a Freewheelers, Flathead, or Real McCoy's, or a trip to the U.K., for a Lewis Leathers?

For me, the RMC Buco J-31 is tops, I just love it. It's spendy no doubt but if I could blow up the collection for enough money to cover the cost of a trip to Japan and the cost of the jacket and shipping I think that would be so fun, and what a great story.

Would love to know everyone's fantasy purchase, and please provide photos if you can. Looking forward to the variety. Be good everyone.

CG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 1.07.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 1.07.06 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 79

ZuZu

This is my fantasy jacket- the F-2 (or F-3?) jacket from the heated flying suit. Nobody makes these- they're hard to get yet to me they really look cool and wearable. I'd leave out the wires but I'd definitely like to get one.
nored418.jpg

nored2joe.jpg

Even one without the sheepskin collar!

Dany McDonald

Thanks Dany, is the Denison Smock hard to come by?

Yeah very rare like ellusive. I've stopped looking for it many years ago as I couldn't make the difference between original and fake/hoax... maybe one day I will grow balls and ask here if one is available...;)

To answer your question more in phase with your very nice MC Buco J-31, I am currently looking for a nice early 80's Brimaco perfecto. Its getting rarer in the condition I am looking for. Don't ask why many Brimaco's have passed through my door... and I am left with a size 44 too big for my frame.

Any Irvin that has a provenance attached to any WW2 RCAF squadron would rock my chair a lot!

D

bn1966

An original G-1 that actually fits me properly, shoulders too narrow on all the size 48’s I’ve tried on….

cgreen

Is it sacrilege to alter an original wartime jacket? If you could find a 50 that fit the shoulders could you alter the body? Would you?

B-Man2

I’ve always been an advocate of buying original wartime jackets over repros, for a variety of reasons . The problem with all wartime jackets is that they were made for young guys 18-28 who were in top physical condition, lean, muscular and trim. For most of us … myself included … those days are gone . ( OK Jorge you’re the odd man out on this one ) So trying to find an original war time issued jacket that fits properly, is going to be a real challenge. That’s why if it’s a specific contract or jacket type that you’re really after….. a tailored reproduction is probably going to be your best option .

JonnyCrow

Yeah very rare like ellusive. I've stopped looking for it many years ago as I couldn't make the difference between original and fake/hoax... maybe one day I will grow balls and ask here if one is available...;)

To answer your question more in phase with your very nice MC Buco J-31, I am currently looking for a nice early 80's Brimaco perfecto. Its getting rarer in the condition I am looking for. Don't ask why many Brimaco's have passed through my door... and I am left with a size 44 too big for my frame.

Any Irvin that has a provenance attached to any WW2 RCAF squadron would rock my chair a lot!

D
Dany in my life I've owned two originals, one was a rare 1946 pattern that wasn't around long, they're few and far between now and big money, I found mine early days before the Internet was big

JonnyCrow

I’ve always been an advocate of buying original wartime jackets over repros, for a variety of reasons . The problem with all wartime jackets is that they were made for young guys 18-28 who were in top physical condition, lean, muscular and trim. For most of us … myself included … those days are gone . ( OK Jorge you’re the odd man out on this one ) So trying to find an original war time issued jacket that fits properly, is going to be a real challenge. That’s why if it’s a specific contract or jacket type that you’re really after….. a tailored reproduction is probably going to be your best option .
Burt it's why I like buying jackets from Japan, smaller sizes fit me with 40 chest and 32 waist, know what your saying though not just wartime a2 jackets but tunics and field jackets, all small sizes.

cgreen

What I find fascinating about the original military gear is that at the time it was created it was purely functional - the specs were for warmth and protection over anything aesthetic. Now we can't get enough of that but at the time they had no idea these pieces of kit would be so highly prized.

Micawber

What I find fascinating about the original military gear is that at the time it was created it was purely functional - the specs were for warmth and protection over anything aesthetic. Now we can't get enough of that but at the time they had no idea these pieces of kit would be so highly prized.
Once common items eventually are subject to the ravages of time and thus move into rarity and collectability usually accruing monetary and nostalgia / historical value in the process.

Smithy

I'm like CBI now, there is no such thing for me - no Holy Grail, no jacket which I would move heaven and earth to obtain. My lust for jackets has pretty much entirely left me now.

I threw out a ton of jackets just recently as I just didn't need them and I didn't want the kerfuffle of selling them (I know that will make some on here freak out but I've recently started practicing Zen and one of the first things it made me realise is I had too much shit. I've chucked out more besides jackets and for me I'm a bloody sight happier).

I've got my ELC Irvin, an Aero Barnstormer, an AVI Bronco, a Wested Raiders and I don't need anything more.

I love coming on here to see what others have and especially originals but I don't need anything more and it's the nicest feeling after years of thinking I did :)

Chandler

... over anything aesthetic.
I'm not so sure aesthetics were ignored as much as we might think. After all, look at how the designs of the A-2 and G-1 have held up over time.

Also look at the design and cuts of the M-41 and M-43 -- fancy lapels? Really? I honestly like them, and I think it was after the 40s that military utility uniforms became more utilitarian. The "style" of the M-65 falls short of the M-43 in my eyes -- many of the same details, but turned much more utilitarian in its presentation -- especially at the collar.