• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most beatiful photograph?

Andrew

I have a few I can't decide which I like most;

From the IWM, a Canadian Spit on ground attack practice. Shame it's so small.

H_027934.jpg

Howard Hugh's plane

aaaaa.jpg

01097628_056.jpg

Marauders
01097628_045.jpg

01097628_024.jpg

zoomer

Too big: The Boeing XB-15 was the big sister and concept plane for the B-17, but didn't take to the air until a few years later — just another '30s superplane that fell victim to the limits of engine technology.
(click to enlarge pix)

The B-15 spreads her 149' wings.
Chase plane is a Boeing P-29, a failed, closed cockpit update of the P-26 Peashooter.

Public relations at an air show, or possibly her home base of Langley Field, Va., circa 1939.
Note C-33s (DC-2s) and the C-45 (Twin Beech) in the background.

zoomer

Curtiss O2C Helldivers in formation over Brooklyn in 1932.
This plane was also known as F8C when in fighter use. The planes sent out after King Kong in the original and recent movies were O2Cs.
2407464341_7ae8e8ef40_o.jpg

USS Los Angeles ZR-3 over lower Manhattan, about 1928.
Acquired from Germany in war reparations, she was the longest lived of the Navy rigid dirigibles, thanks to being permanently grounded in 1932. She was used for training and experiments until scrapped in 1939.
h00944.jpg

USS Akron ZRS-4 in the same position, about 1932.
A much larger ship than Los Angeles, but looking about the same size at higher altitude. Several very tall buildings have popped up in the Wall Street neighborhood since 1928.
h43900.jpg

yankee air pirate

zoomer said:
A moment frozen in time...
B-10s from Hamilton Field coming over San Francisco, January 28, 1936.
Visible in the distance is the not yet completed Golden Gate Bridge.

(click pic to enlarge: 1800x1218 px)

A visual poem in form and scale...
The stern of the Graf Zeppelin, at mooring somewhere in Germany, late 1920s-early '30s.

(click pic to enlarge: 800x1101 px)

When giants lived in the sky...
The Graf coming down to land at Cairo, Egypt, April 11, 1931.
zeppelin__galeriebild__13,property=BildDaten.jpg
Thats a great shot of the b-10's over San Francisco. You can see the neighborhood where I grew up though my house is just cut of from the picture. The b-17 shot is one of the best I ever seen.

zoomer

Thanks yankee and chgo. I should confess though - the reason I post all this 1930s stuff (here and in other threads) is not just my passion for the period. I also have a subtly subversive antimilitarist (tho not antimilitary) agenda.

Despite the USA having the most buzz-cut fast-talking machine-disciplined armed forces in world history, we have managed to f up a long dragged-out war with a mob of fuzzy-bearded car-bombing cockroaches. I'd like us to go back in our mentality to a time before we were the supreme world power and see if we can learn anything from those relatively civilian-ized professional warriors. Not about strategy or tactics of course, but about what the hell it is we're fighting for and about in the first place.
everding-1939.jpg

dujardin

hello Peter,

i took endlessly time to answer your post. good photo you propose.

good too see also photos of other members

those are 2 photos i enjoy

1312278.jpg

050926-N-6751L-009.jpg

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
Thanks yankee and chgo. I should confess though - the reason I post all this 1930s stuff (here and in other threads) is not just my passion for the period. I also have a subtly subversive antimilitarist (tho not antimilitary) agenda.

Despite the USA having the most buzz-cut fast-talking machine-disciplined armed forces in world history, we have managed to f up a long dragged-out war with a mob of fuzzy-bearded car-bombing cockroaches. I'd like us to go back in our mentality to a time before we were the supreme world power and see if we can learn anything from those relatively civilian-ized professional warriors. Not about strategy or tactics of course, but about what the hell it is we're fighting for and about in the first place.
everding-1939.jpg
You mean a time when we felt we had God and country on our side? (sorry I used the term god, I did not mean to offend Muslims and all the other religions that are allowed to do and say whatever they want without retribution).

A

Anonymous

dujardin said:
hello Peter,

those are 2 photos i enjoy

1312278.jpg

050926-N-6751L-009.jpg

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel
M the P-40 pic is awesome.

tamoko

dujardin said:
those are 2 photos i enjoy........
byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel
WOW Marcel, thank you . This is my new desktop image. Really cool grill ! :lol:

A

Anonymous

tamoko said:
dujardin said:
those are 2 photos i enjoy........
byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel
WOW Marcel, thank you . This is my new desktop image. Really cool grill ! :lol:

Yep, great images.

Not so beautiful...

B26-flak.jpg

A

Anonymous

Marky:
...felt we had God and country on our side? (sorry I used the term god, I did not mean to offend Muslims and all the other religions that are allowed to do and say whatever they want without retribution).

Wow! Little Annie C.'s got a labia pinched in her panties!

zoomer

I dunno, I'm just kinda nostalgic for the days when we only went to war against people who had attacked us, and not in the name of geopolitical globaloney or notions of manhood or loyalty to leaders.

Back to pictures. Here's a P-51 at sunset. Isn't it lovely?
p-51marylou_wallpaper800.jpg