• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Irvin research and discussion thread

Spitfireace

20190202_114129.jpg

Micawber

Will give it a shot, Thank you, that's a good idea.

Would you be able to post a few links or suggest any group in particular? I need a little hand holding as It's not really my area.

I'm not what you would call a 'scholarly' Man with any formal education or credential. Like some kind of bonafide historian or something. I tend to get swept under the rug and dismissed.The cover of my book overtly reads: 'Just some punk kid' So generally speaking, people don't seem to have too much time for me.

Hard enough when I walk into any fancy establishment or country club I usually get:

"Excuse me, Sir, Sir.."

:rolleyes:

After several attempts to contact the archives and historical groups, I shied away. It's not my place.

Apologies for the delay responding. If you are on Facebook have a look at some of the Bomber Command groups and of course RAF Coastal Command, Original Irvin Jacket Collectors, Fleet Air Arm, Royal Canadian Air Force, WW2 Original RAF Flying Clothing Collectors Groups. A short factual post about the jacket along with a photo or two might gain you some leads.

:)

Dumpster D

Question:

Do they make modern Reproduction replacement AM style zips for Irvin Jackets? One of the 'CC' Jackets I own apparently had a replacement sleeve zip installed and the jacket might have been sent to Eastman for repairs from what I can vaguely recall from the seller description.

Does ELC produce their own Zips for their Irvin Repros? If so, I would like to know more.

I will post photos of that 'CC' Irvin jacket, and write a short report, given that my time is divided these days, it might take awhile to get to it. Patience.

Dumpster D

If you are on Facebook
Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately not on FB I'm afraid, for many reasons.

To put it one way, I have a typewriter on my desk and an 8-track player.

We are permanently stuck in luddite land.

There are several air museums here. I will sniff around, and see if there might be someone there who knows a good spot to start digging up information about RCAF involvement with these CC Jackets etc, or at least in my case, track down some information about 'GREM' We're looking for an individual crew, narrowing it down from a Squadron I suppose?

Any information at this point is a speck of gold.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

If you notice there is a bit of yellow on the collar of this jacket.
Yes I can see it now that you point it out.

Curious.

What is the 'yellow' spot indicative of? Would you please be able to post a detailed close up of that for us at some point?

OperationCoffee

To the best of my knowledge Eastman zips are RiRi brand. The main zip catches a lot of flak because the bottom rail (?) is made out of plastic. I have an Irvin with that zip and don’t mind it at all. It’s fray proof. If you’ve ever had to price out what replacing a zipper on Irvin would amount to you’d be happy with it.

Eastman does not sell their zippers as far as I know. Lewis leathers makes a lightning style zipper that they will sell you but be prepared for very slow service. Taking the time to sell you one is basically doing you a favor and they are very busy

Micawber

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately not on FB I'm afraid, for many reasons.

To put it one way, I have a typewriter on my desk and an 8-track player.

We are permanently stuck in luddite land.

There are several air museums here. I will sniff around, and see if there might be someone there who knows a good spot to start digging up information about RCAF involvement with these CC Jackets etc, or at least in my case, track down some information about 'GREM' We're looking for an individual crew, narrowing it down from a Squadron I suppose?

Any information at this point is a speck of gold.

Gotcha, but you can access this forum and TFL right so other online forums might be accessible for you?

Dumpster D

Yes, but I don't know anything about them.
Thank you.

I'll have to check my other CC Irvin to see what the replacement zipper is now, I can't remember but I don't think it said 'Eastman' on it. It looked new-ish modern somehow, like that sort of phony tarnished brass look you'd see on a modern YKK zip, but again, now I need to take a looksee, and I'll post a few photos in due time.

Either way, it had "original-ish" written all over it to my eye. ;)

I couldn't say whether the replacement zip is an original or?

Spitfireace

Question:

Do they make modern Reproduction replacement AM style zips for Irvin Jackets? One of the 'CC' Jackets I own apparently had a replacement sleeve zip installed and the jacket might have been sent to Eastman for repairs from what I can vaguely recall from the seller description.

Does ELC produce their own Zips for their Irvin Repros? If so, I would like to know more.

I will post photos of that 'CC' Irvin jacket, and write a short report, given that my time is divided these days, it might take awhile to get to it. Patience.
There are some repro zips, but none of them are accurate. Only the real thing will do for an original jacket in my opinion.

Spitfireace

To the best of my knowledge Eastman zips are RiRi brand. The main zip catches a lot of flak because the bottom rail (?) is made out of plastic. I have an Irvin with that zip and don’t mind it at all. It’s fray proof. If you’ve ever had to price out what replacing a zipper on Irvin would amount to you’d be happy with it.

Eastman does not sell their zippers as far as I know. Lewis leathers makes a lightning style zipper that they will sell you but be prepared for very slow service. Taking the time to sell you one is basically doing you a favor and they are very busy
Original zippers are few and far between. Yes, expensive, and because they are that old, you can't be certain that they are not about to fail.