• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Irvin research and discussion thread

Lord Flashheart

In another thread I asked what information forum members might wish to see written about: http://www.vintageleatherjackets.or...ion-would-you-like-to-see-on-the-forum.32183/

1703867821496.png

There's clearly interest in the RAFs iconic sheepskin flying jacket and appear to be scattered resources across the forum. So it's time for some (renewed) research and discussion of the background of the RAF Irvin and its various contracts and variants. I believe that the first contract was let in 1935 and that a number of makers other than Irvin Air Chute were involved in their wartime manufacture including Wareings, Links and others. If you've got any interesting nuggets of information relating to their history or have an original yourself you'd be willing to share / share pics of please do. I borrowed this pic from Grant's post here http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/strike-hard-strike-sure-raf-bomber-command.27174/page-3

See also: https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/everything-vintage-irvins.271/

Hopefully over time we can develop the picture for current and future members of VLJ to learn more about this iconic jacket.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Thank you for this initiative, it's appreciated as my interest, other than just esthetic, is growing for information and understanding of this kit.

I am always keeping an eye for originals here in Canada as they were use well into the 50's by the RCAF, flight and ground crews. Would kill to get a patched WW2 RCAF Squadron kit.

D

OperationCoffee

Thank you for this initiative, it's appreciated as my interest, other than just esthetic, is growing for information and understanding of this kit.

I am always keeping an eye for originals here in Canada as they were use well into the 50's by the RCAF, flight and ground crews. Would kill to get a patched WW2 RCAF Squadron kit.

D
Not to distract from this effort but if you really want to dig into all things Irvin you might want to try the “original Irvin thread loving that wolf in sheep’s clothing “ thread on TFL. Andrew, aka Roughwear aka aswatland ( on TFL) pretty much covered it starting back in ‘09. That thread went on for years and has 90 ? Pages

Dany McDonald

ot to distract from this effort but if you really want to dig into all things Irvin you might want to try the “original Irvin thread loving that wolf in sheep’s clothing “ thread on TFL. Andrew, aka Roughwear aka aswatland ( on TFL) pretty much covered it starting back in ‘09. That thread went on for years and has 90 ? Pages

Sounds good, any chances you can shoot me a link?

Thanks.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Trying to revive this thread a little, I’d like to ask if anyone currently owns an original Coastal Command Irvin with the attached yellow hood that folds into a collar ? I’ve owned an original in the past, but it was a smaller sized one so I moved it on. They are rare birds and hard to find in a large size or in nice condition. Aero Leather is the only company I know of who offers a repro of this model Irvin .

IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2204.jpeg

Dumpster D

Trying to revive this thread a little, I’d like to ask if anyone currently owns an original Coastal Command Irvin with the attached yellow hood that folds into a collar ? I’ve owned an original in the past, but it was a smaller sized one so I moved it on. They are rare birds and hard to find in a large size or in nice condition. Aero Leather is the only company I know of who offers a repro of this model Irvin .

View attachment 134713View attachment 134715

I might.

MrProper

View attachment 134713View attachment 134715
I have the one from Aero. As I'm not a collector, I prefer a new one. Especially since I got them for my body measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 54

Dumpster D

Trying to revive this thread a little, I’d like to ask if anyone currently owns an original Coastal Command Irvin with the attached yellow hood that folds into a collar ?
Here you go.

Been holding off on this because it deserves it's own thread and written report. But since you're asking for it, here it is. It deserves to be documented for people to see!!!

Too fragile to wear, but if anyone has any information about the name, I've tried reaching out to several historical archives and was met with a muted response. I want to see the ship, a photo of the crew, it must exist somewhere.

This Jacket came from the original owner who sadly passed on, whom I never met personally. Speculating there were some other bits and pieces/keepsakes to go with, like some photos and things that will probably never turn up.

Obviously 'Grem' for Gremlin, you'd be surprised not a lot of people actually understand that.

We need to have a discussion about Gremlins at this point. The painted 'patch' on the front is an unfinished depiction of a little horned gremlin holding a bomb, it's hard to make out even up close. (I don't have a good photo off-hand, I'll see what I can do)

She's a bit dry rotted sadly...Time got there before I could. Oh you deserve so much more than I could ever give you my precious. Deep in the pit of my heart, you're here now, part of me, we are one, forever.

0-19.jpg

0-20.jpg

0-96.jpg

0-99.jpg
wq.jpg

Attachments

• 0-99.jpg
    0-99.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 0-96.jpg
    0-96.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Thank you for sharing that @Dumpster D . That is something special and does deserve her own written thread. There's a story there. Burt bumped this thread (thanks Burt!) and in the background I have started to put together something for a sticky but it's early days and a bit about the Coastal Command model (and pics such as of this beauty) needs to be part of it. If you (or anyone else) is interested PM me.

Dumpster D

There's a story there.

More than likely it was an RCAF crew members Jacket. It had been hidden away special, and didn't travel very far from the original owner to find it's way to me. It stays hidden...but here is a rare glimpse.

I know absolutely nothing about the RCAF coastal command after all these years, it's like it doesn't even exist. Seen one book about a higher ranking woman who flew with the Coastal command but It's like no one talks about it and it never happened. No one's really given me any idea what it was like.

Suppose they were protecting convoys from U-boat patrols? That's all anyone really seems to know.

Haven't seen more than a couple 'Painted' Irvin Jackets, heard it was against regulations.

What I wouldn't give for a photo of the nose art on their ship, or hear some of their stories.

Amazing fleece colour on the inside, Blonde hood, Dark body, with some light tan coloured patches, and the finish is just incredible, haven't seen any other jackets with a finish quite like this.

Irvin Jackets have an elusive 'medieval' quality to them, hard to describe their 'aura' but it's very ancient somehow. I swear some originals hold supernatural power and knowledge passed down, on a psychic level.

They remain steadfast, valiant, like a knights suit of armour lives on, into timeless legend.

So distinguished from the B-3, which has more modern style associated with it.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

I agree. There is something different about Leslie Irvin's design which captures some magic (well, certainly for me) in a way that other designs don't. Medieval? Well they were often used with Merlins weren't they? ;)

Micawber

The artwork does suggest RCAF who were somewhat more liberal with the application of artwork to some of their aircraft. That’s a nice jacket, maybe see if anyone on some of the Bomber Command / associated groups might be able to help with an aircraft ID.

Dumpster D

That’s a nice jacket, maybe see if anyone on some of the Bomber Command / associated groups might be able to help with an aircraft ID.
Will give it a shot, Thank you, that's a good idea.

Would you be able to post a few links or suggest any group in particular? I need a little hand holding as It's not really my area.

I'm not what you would call a 'scholarly' Man with any formal education or credential. Like some kind of bonafide historian or something. I tend to get swept under the rug and dismissed.The cover of my book overtly reads: 'Just some punk kid' So generally speaking, people don't seem to have too much time for me.

Hard enough when I walk into any fancy establishment or country club I usually get:

"Excuse me, Sir, Sir.."

:rolleyes:

After several attempts to contact the archives and historical groups, I shied away. It's not my place.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

This is all I could find in my archives for now, Just been too busy lately to get some new photos and dig up some info on the history of 'CC' Irvin Jackets. Please give me time, I'll do some serious digging.

These things are like ghosts. Have mentioned to Lord Flashheart, I've never yet seen a 'CC' Irvin with any makers mark, tag, or otherwise. I'd like to find out if any Irvin Jackets were ever made in North America.

It only raises more questions than answers.

Why didn't someone finish the paint job? Was the artwork original or inspired from a (then) contemporary cartoon character?...If it's a Gremlin with a bomb, then..Were they patrolling, or actually flying bombing runs?

Hard to make out, but look closer, he's there...The pointy nosed little bounder!! :)
Grem1.jpg

1706404542051.png

322.jpg
434.jpg
213.jpg
rfe copy.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster D

More photos of random 'CC' Jackets I've found online years ago searching for any information. These were likely from online auctions, I saw and saved off the net. Just to add to the mystery.

At least I found one that has got a tag, however non-legible it may be.
360_98e554b3a5f940b1483b769fe15f8b9f.jpg
irvin_jacket_02.jpg
irvin_jacket_03.jpg
imagesD3L41BBW.jpg

Another example:

MI25125_HR.jpg

HERE WE HAVE ANOTHER:

fweffw.jpg
fewffe.jpg
dfbfbvf.jpg

irvin_jacket_01.jpg

Saw this while searching for CC Irvins. Just a regular IRVIN someone painted a beautiful little detail on.

Anyone seen/know this jacket? :
imagesAPVXVK03.jpg

taiAtari

A CC Irvin was also the subject of one of the restorations in season 3, episode 11 of the BBC programme The Repair Shop.

blackrat2

It was but sadly they didn’t find a original zip from memory
Amazing how they patched up the jacket which is why it was a pity they didn’t go all out on the zip