• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The final nail in the coffin for a bargain by ebay

John Lever

I notice an increasing number of US auctions are using the Global Postage Programme . This means an end to parcels slipping through customs without taxes and duties as these are paid at checkout to eBay. I won't bother bidding on items like these as they are just too expensive,it is also bad news for sellers. I wonder if there has been government pressure somewhere ?
Amazon .com has done the same for some time.

Roughwear

I agree John. I have bought less from the USA recently because of the customs charges. These days I usually only buy a jacket on Ebay from the USA if it very special.

sk123

I just sold a g1 and didn't even realize I was signed up for the global program! I'm not really a seller, mostly a buyer on ebay. The auction closed and it was already set up. Not sure if I can opt out of it. The seller sends it to a location in the US and it is forwarded from there.

a2jacketpatches

sk123 said:
I just sold a g1 and didn't even realize I was signed up for the global program! I'm not really a seller, mostly a buyer on ebay. The auction closed and it was already set up. Not sure if I can opt out of it. The seller sends it to a location in the US and it is forwarded from there.

I find it every time I list on a2jp2013 where I sell original military items. and I have to un-check the box every time I list a new item, I think it even resets itself when I use the sell similar option for an item I already un-checked. a2jp2013 is not a store like a2jacketpatches where I sell my custom squadron patches and I don't see the Global shipping option there, maybe I opted out but don't recall. I think you can opt out on each individual listing, just be sure to read the entire shipping page. Lately, I've been using the USPS website Click and Ship because of compatibility issues with firefox and ebay shipping, it's easy enough to fix just by using internet explorer. But before I figured that out, I found that click and ship prints a much crisper label, allows me to enter custom (revised) custom details, and also provides better tracking every time it lands somewhere. I automatically adjust hundred dollar patches to 10 dollars on the customs forms as most of my guys are regulars. However, a big dollar item like the F-1 Heated flight Suit on a2jp2013 that has already passed 250- Can't take any chances unless I know the guy and that probably won't be the case. Unfortunately, it's going to limit you guys overseas. So by chance if anyone here is bidding on a2jp2013, let me know through VLJ and we can work it out.

a2jp2013 - http://www.ebay.com/sch/a2jp2013/m.html ... pg=&_from=

a2jacketpatches - http://stores.ebay.com/a2jacketpatches/

a

ButteMT61

eBay is becoming less and less attractive, especially as a seller.
They need to tread carefully or they will be in jeopardy of losing many transactions to online forums. Etc.
I try to avoid them, but for expensive items I do appreciate the protection. All good things get ruined, especially if the US governemnt gets involved.

John Lever

I wonder what the worldwide annual sales are for eBay ?
The company sits off shore and I don't think pays taxes in the countries where it operates similar to Apple Google Amazon and Starbucks.

TankBuster

It will no doubt be tougher for overseas buyers from now on. They almost pressure you into using Global Postage for security and refunding purposes. I was told that if it is a high dollar item, and something happens, you are more likely to be out of luck if you don not use the program when shipping overseas than if you opt to use it.

More rules and regulations to deal with from eBay, what else is new! I have been selling my higher end items through a dealer friends website the last couple years which has made life easier! ;)

Jason

Do governments trust eBay to collect duties & taxes for them? The Australian government obviously doesn't think so... fearful of the revenue they're missing out on, they're planning to implement a blanket 'tax & duty everything inbound' policy.
Agreed, the days of 'the bargain' are rapidly drawing to a close.

Roughwear

I feel for people this side of the pond just embarking on collecting vintage US flight jackets via Ebay.

John Lever

It such a bad idea. Trade should be encouraged and these charges kill the whole thrill of a bargain that eBay used to give.

a2jacketpatches

Back in June, I had a guy in Australia pull some crap on me after buying a VN tropical ruck sack, Ebay held my 280- for 14 days while I sent the lousy waterproof insert that was worth about ten bucks. Guess the guy just didn't trust me. I simply forgot to send it and it got misplaced because of the picture taking process. Also, a guy in Norway tried something like this saying his VN M56 Belt never made it there at the end of July. He has since tried to bid on my items using 3 other user accounts most recently last week. Each time he won and I figured him out because of zero feedback and location, so I have blocked him a total of 4 times and leaving me to re-list it and delaying my sale. There's a lot of shmucks out there trying to use the distance to screw U.S. sellers so I'm almost glad Ebay weens them out. I use Ki-sales, it saves most information from transactions that you'd need to conduct outside of Ebay sales. So don't get me wrong, I'm not an Ebay lover, I just use them as what they're good for. An initial sale and exposure.

dmar836

Well, you have to realize that most of us have a different angle when we aren't using Ebay as income. For those of us who do the occasional sale or buy, Ebay has become about the same cost as any other higher-end auction house. The beauty of those is that they will at least authenticate items - no "my fathers original WWI Cooper A-2 Jet Pilot's jacket".
I have been buying lately through dealers as well - less drama, much more honesty, and you learn with whom you are dealing. I'll pay the man his dollar for what I am unwilling to do.
Ebay was once nice as it put us all together for cheap - even if competition was great the system was pretty flawless. People made money by what they sold. Then Ebay had to skim more and more(fees and mandatory services) while doing less and less(fraud alert, shill bidding). I predict they will soon go the way of Manions.
JMO
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Whatever angle you're coming from, Ebay is a good way to meet good buyers and sellers, you can build a good customer base or a list of dependable dealers. You can wheel and deal outside of Ebay regardless of what your income is or how you make it. I usually drop a note via the email address provided within a transaction because it disappears after 45 days, and if the response is promising, keep it on file with a name and record of purchases. Ki-sales does this automatically for my patch sales. There usually has to be an initial sale to provide that info, but for now telephone numbers still slip by the auto detection system. I do a lot of buying as well and it works out either way, approach a seller about dealing outside of Ebay. With PP, there's still an element of protection. I'm just saying that Ebay is a good conduit for what everyone else is calling the alternative. There's a little bit of work and learning how to do it involved, but really very simple.

ButteMT61

John Lever said:
It such a bad idea. Trade should be encouraged and these charges kill the whole thrill of a bargain that eBay used to give.

It's not just eBay though. Swap meets, flea markets, etc have been ruined due to shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars, etc etc.
Going to the most rural barns (which I just did) is so damn depressing. Vendors selling above retail prices for crap that's not even the top-shelf gear. Makes you want to scream. Those days is over I'm afraid. Well, mostly.

Hey, btw, I'm selling my French Deck jacket I just got. A tad too small for me, but a lovely jacket.

a2jacketpatches

Vendors selling? or trying to sell? There's a guy that shows up here every week and he's still got that 75- beat to hell, plain doughboy helmet with a 200- price tag on it. I went to his house months ago and left empty handed. I just walk by him now and don't even bother looking. He probably makes a few bucks but to my trained eye, the same stuff is sitting there today as two months ago. All is very bad condition, and his education consists of a quick Ebay search of the highest asking prices. As politely as I could, I asked him one day if he knew how to do a completed listings search and he had no idea what I was talking about. I can just tell when a guy says "On Ebay blah blah blah" that it's usually the piece up for a long time with no sale, like antique mall prices. The days are still here, you just have to be one step ahead of the wannabe American picker. I focus on the Korean War and VN lately because the dates are a little tricky to figure out compared to WW2, and the green blends in with the modern stuff.

ausreenactor

I got 'stung' and put this up nearly a year ago..

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14473&hilit=global+shipping+program

Whoa... time flies.

I jumped onto the eBay Forum and vented. Got shot down by eBay shills, all with private feedback and they sang it's praises? :roll:

I will start selling again now the Yen is up and the Aussie Dollar is down. Will hate paying the fees, but hard to reach the bidders without them.

Couchy

Smithy

Jason said:
Do governments trust eBay to collect duties & taxes for them? The Australian government obviously doesn't think so... fearful of the revenue they're missing out on, they're planning to implement a blanket 'tax & duty everything inbound' policy.
Agreed, the days of 'the bargain' are rapidly drawing to a close.

Is that for real Jason?

I remember Gerry Harvey getting his knickers in a knot a couple of years back, asking the government to tax all internet sales but after the massive backlash he got he simmered down.

Not surprised though if the government is going to do it, especially with the story in the news yesterday that Aussies buy more online than people in Europe, the States, etc, etc. Old Joe Hockey will be having dollar signs for pupils ;)

Dr H

ButteMT61 said:
Hey, btw, I'm selling my French Deck jacket I just got. A tad too small for me, but a lovely jacket.

EBay...? ;)

Scott, did you see my post about jungle cloth on FL?