• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The big WHY? Reasons you're into jackets...

CombatWombat

I funnily enough had a "proper" A2 flight jacket for years before I knew that anyone collected them o_O

But my start into leather jackets were from my mum and dad, who were both Punks in the Manchester scene (with the prerequisite Lewis Leathers and Swann jackets).
With seeing photos of them all dressed up and running around with one of my mum's old jacket as a kid, I kinda just naturally "grew into it" ;)

dbtk44

-Bob Crane, and a childhood chock full of WW2 movies....
-Then, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus...
-Then, got an A-2 as a teen...
-Then, I bought a motorcycle, and of course another "perfecto" copy (the one from my punk days grew legs and walked off at a club one crazy night)...

And now, I probably have 15+ different leather jackets.

Attachments

• Bob_Crane_and_Werner_Klemperer_in_'Hogan's_Heroes',_1966._Promo_Photo.jpg
    Bob_Crane_and_Werner_Klemperer_in_'Hogan's_Heroes',_1966._Promo_Photo.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 27

Dumpster D

Back I was a small kid maybe 10 years old, I found one of those Faux 'toy' Junior sized Bomber jackets in a thrift store with a brown fake mouton collar and knit cuffs. It even had the fake map lining, and it wasn't even real leather, it was brown synthetic, and it had bogus squadron patches on it.

I remember picking the patches off with a seam ripper...

Even then, I wanted a real B-3 so bad I sewed on fake 'crafters' fleece on the cuffs and waist and collar to make it look more like a B-3 than an awful G-1 rip off.

That was 30 years ago now...I'll be 40 in June.

Last edited:

Jtrob

-Then, I bought a motorcycle, and of course another "perfecto" copy (the one from my punk days grew legs and walked off at a club one crazy night)...

I’m with you, Hogans Hero’s and Bob Cranes jacket, WW2 movies and shows in the 60’s, my brother was in the air force during Vietnam so I was glued to Walter Cronkite each night and that same brother brought me home an old MA-1 flight jacket that I wore to death.
all that got me hooked and started.

OperationCoffee

Inherited my dad’s issued MA 1. That was my first jacket. All the other influences followed pretty much exactly like other guys here (music movies history etc.)
At some point I discovered Link Wray as a teenager and that’s when the obsession really kicked in. Link was the coolest rocker in my book and nobody ever looked better in a leather jacket.

Dumpster D

View attachment 134699Link being the badass he was

Any idea what kinds of Fuzz pedals Link was using in the mid 70's?

Can't tell if he had some kind of custom builds Octavia/ Fuzz face, but something real nasty, and his guitar looks completely modded out too. I mean he could be using some DIY custom built circuits.

A friend of mine was asking me to build him a couple fuzz pedals the other week. I sent him this link (no pun intended) This full set used to be available but it's been removed for awhile now, since youtube started to get carried away with making too much money off Ads.

One thing for sure, he can chew bubblegum and kick ass.

Love how the P-bass comes in wayyyy too loud in the mix tho, MAAAN That's a face melting tone off that stage. HEavy Metal Elvis!!

Dumpster D

God only knows. He went through a lot of gear. All I can say is I can get that same tone through my 67 super reverb and a RAT pedal.

Been meaning to build a rat for awhile...Got busy with Fuzz projects.

The last pedal I built was this modern Univibe clone kit. Check it out.

Real bit of a tricky son of a, even the pedal kit supplier didn't give the some of the correct parts because it's so confusing off the parts list. some resistors are 4K7, and other 47K. It's got 15 transistors and an on board charge pump that takes the original 18v down to 9v so it will run on modern standard power supply chains...It's still really noisy and doesn't play well with any digital effects. Some paleolithic technology right there.

This board was put out by pedalPCB.com so it's called the electrovibe. Instead of a plug in foot pedal to control the speed it has two modes you can set and leave, I guess dial one fast and one slow...but at least it's small enough to fit on a board (If you use one)

We sit here arguing all day about original Jackets being better than Modern reproductions. Same arguments happening in the guitar pedal forums with vintage pedals, and would you look at some of the prices for THOSE things boy howdy!!

Sink or swim, If a man needs a good vintage pedal these days he's gotta build his own!

unnamed-2.jpg

CombatWombat

I blame my parents and Ace Cafe

Pa12

No deep reasons for me. Just always wanted the ultimate a-2. The road leading to it just happens to be strewn with jackets and money ;)