• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The big WHY? Reasons you're into jackets...

Enigma1938

Hey folks,
We talk about all kind of jackets (mostly ww2 related) here a lot on a daily basis, but what I'm curious about are the same questions which are presumably in the mind of all our wifes also:

Why the heck are you collecting jackets, why do you have so many, why spending so much money on them, where does this interest come from?

Well my personal story is that I was interested in ww2 and history since my early childhood. My father had a lot of books about ww2 and some artifacts from then and visited various museums with us kids over the decades. I also learned a lot about the history and the archeological places in the surrounding area were I've grown up. There are a lot of celtic remains like burial mounds, remains of their fortifications, even of a whole city. The romans left their traces also all over the countryside, remains of ancient streets, forts, temples and agricultural homesteads. Then there are all that ww2 traces and stuff all over....
I was always interested in newspaper articles when they discovered something ancient or unearthed a ww2 fighter for example etc..
The house in which my family lived and that was built in the 20s by my great grandfather was the only one in the village that was damaged in the war by artillery fire . My father kept an iron fence post that was impressive hit by an shrapnel.
Another thing what have me deeply impressed were the regularly airshows on nearby aerodromes. There was a huge show every two years on an airfield called "Hahnweide" in Kirchheim Teck with lots of aviation oldtimers, warbirds, bombers etc.

Over the decades I have collected all sorts of history related stuff with main focuses on roman empire, ww2 uniforms and equipment - especially US and Germany, and same kind of stuff from the Vietnam War.
Vintage watches are another hobby I enjoy, including repairs and maintenance done by myself. I've wasted a lot of money in the past for stuff others could only shake heads at and have grown such a collection that I have serious space problems since years.
I always loved wearing jackets, they're spending protection, warmth, they're useful and depending on the type you look pretty sharp in them.
So one day I bought my first 'historical' flight jacket, an old avirex A2 because I always thought this jacket type looks cool and because of the historical background of course, something that you can actual wear but links you with those long gone special times - you know.
Then I wanted a Repro of a German flight jacket also, ended up with a noble house recreation of such a jacket. But one day I wanted something more accurate, more true to original, so bought my first eastman A2, then a second hand goodwear and so on and so on. Every few months for some reason I've thrown an eye on another type of jacket and so one thing lead to another, it's a bit like a addiction admittedly. Maybe ten jackets ago I decided to not buy a jacket anymore but what can I say... the temptation always catches up with me again. There are various military related jackets now in my closet, leather, cloth, nylon... US ww2, US Korea, US Vietnam, german ww2, airforce, navy, Army, together with various famous civil vintage jackets... I'm aware that I have too many of them and that I cannot give a proper use to all of them but I have a hard time to part with them also - there's the collector in me to blame.

So that's a shortcut of my motives in collecting / wearing vintage jackets and stuff, would love to hear more stories behind your hobby and the big WHY!

Last edited:

leper-colony

1695413405580.jpeg

Nickb123

They look cool (on and off), last a long time, often look better as they age, are connected to history that is both cool and heroic, it’s fun to dork out on design, and the people in this hobby are swell folks.

Music for the soul, everything about jackets is just the best. They’re connected to and represent the best things the human spirit has to offer, but caveat is war.

Chomcat

My obsession over military field jackets originally came from various entertainment media like video games and tv shows/movies that featured characters wearing them. I also love functional clothing and since I'm always wearing jackets, it's no surprise that I'd become so interested in them to the point of collecting them out of simple appreciation. Some qualities I especially enjoy about military jackets are their baggier fit which makes them more comfortable to wear and allows for layering underneath, the large pockets for great carrying capacity (even if I don't usually carry many small items on me), the elemental protection + warmth, and, for some models, their modularity in being able to attach a liner and/or hood. I find that most civilian jackets are lacking in several of these qualities, especially the ones that focus on appearance and fit. I don't care how nice a civilian jacket looks. If I don't find it very comfortable to wear and/or if it lacks utility, I'm not gonna want to wear it.

The military jackets I've owned were/are an M-42 paratrooper jacket, an M-43, an M-65, a Canadian GS MKII combat coat in desert tan, and my latest being a Vietnam jungle fatigue jacket. And I'm thinking of getting an M-51. Currently, I only have my M65, Canadian combat coat, and jungle jacket. I resold the other two since I hadn't worn them for a while and didn't want them sitting in my closet taking up space. Might as well give them to someone who'll (hopefully) wear them again. I'll add that I prefer (faithful) repros of older military jackets since vintage ones can look too worn/dirty and have that vintage smell which can be a bit annoying to deal with. I'm not trying to look or smell homeless. Admittedly, in the beginning, I felt a bit self-conscious wearing these kinds of jackets since just about everyone around me wears "normal" clothing, especially people my age (early-mid 20s), but I've gotten used to it by now and it's not like anyone really cares anyways.

Saint-ex

I found myself interested in the flight jacket, it was because I was passionate about boats ! :D

I'll keep it short for you. As a child, I loved old sailing boats (Galeon etc.) and so I wanted to make models of them.
My father, who knew very well that I did not have the level to make this model of Francis Drake's Golden Hind that I had bought, told me that I had to start with simpler models. And so here I am making 1/72 planes.
In the end I developed a passion for Warbirds and the Galion has still been in its box for 30 years.

So passion for Warbirds, reading, meetings, museums etc... Until I said to myself, hey but why don't I buy this pilot jacket that made me dream so much as a child!
So I went to the Cockpit USA website, I compared the models, I searched on the net and I arrived here... THE TRAP!

johnwayne

All I know is that when very young like pre-teens I saw in a ‘militaria’ type shop in central London this jacket with artwork in the window display. Many years later whilst in a local pub there was 2 guys both wearing ‘that’ style of jacket but still not actually knowing what they were!
Then in a weekly magazine called Exchange &Mart - many older UK readers will remember it - under the militaria section I saw references to ‘American A2 flying jacket’ and bought an ex studio prop version. Poor by todays repros being thin leather and not very good knits but nonetheless I felt the dog’s doodahs wearing it until late 80’s when I saw an ad by Eastman and the rest is history!!
Early on they only offered 2 house A2’s being russet and seal plus if I recall correctly their take on the Luftwaffe jacket and maybe a B3 then an Irvin - think they’ve done well since then!!!
Ironically Gary Eastman I believe is not only a similar age to me but started work as a Compositor (typesetter) like me, in the print trade - it could have been me!!!!
Be interested to know where/how Gary got his knowledge from as pre-internet I’m not sure where you would have found all the relevant info?
Again probably mid/late 80’s I found Ken Caulder’s (Aeroleather) original outlet in London’s Battersea area then called The Thrift Shop(?) with many painted A2’s on display although at prob a months pay then, I simply couldn’t justify the outlay plus, they were not only always smaller sizes, I had my doubts I could wear one in public and I’ve always since felt that way despite admiring them so much.

Last edited:

scwells

My uncle flew USN combat aircraft during WWII. Later in his career, he was the CO of the Fleet Air Gunnery Unit in Yuma in 1959. In about 2000, my cousin gave me his father's G-1 from 1959. It has a couple of patches and a nametag. The jacket had been in a cardboard box in a garage attic and was fairly beat up. The goatskin of the Cagleco was dry and the mouton would fall out if touched. That put me on the trail of jackets and a bit later on VLJ.

FAGUG1.png

B-Man2

My uncle flew USN combat aircraft during WWII. Later in his career, he was the CO of the Fleet Air Gunnery Unit in Yuma in 1959. In about 2000, my cousin gave me his father's G-1 from 1959. It has a couple of patches and a nametag. The jacket had been in a cardboard box in a garage attic and was fairly beat up. The goatskin of the Cagleco was dry and the mouton would fall out if touched. That put me on the trail of jackets and a bit later on VLJ.

View attachment 121347
Man .. this one has seen some action!

johnwayne

Something about a beaten an worn look - if it was mine would I use leather conditioner on it? Not sure, did/have you? Incidentally both my Cagleco’s are ‘59’s!!

Members online

Latest posts