• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanker Jacket

Atticus

I just bought one of those modern nomex tanker jacket things. You know, the ones that have the velcro opening across the shoulders? I paid four and a half bucks for it. Figured it would be good to wear when I...um...um...

Well, OK, I don't know why then hell I bought it.

I seem to recall some discussion about these jackets on an older forum. Did we ever decide why they have that velcro opening? I seem to remember something about pulling crewmen out of a burning tank...or some such shit.

AF

Atticus

Really? I thought that everyone on the old forum was joking. The velcro opening doesn't expose a handle or anything to grab. Its just an opening. Hard to imagine that the opening would provide for any better purchase than just grabbing a handful of jacket.

Anyhow... it seems to be a warm jacket and I'll find some use for it. And if I'm ever wearing it and become trapped in my burning Jeep, Jackie can slice the Jeep's top, open the jacket's velcro flap and pull me to safety.

...or not and just collect the insurance.

AF

watchmanjimg

A

Anonymous

Yep Jim, that's my understanding too.

However it might be more of a confidence boosting thing as actually trying to lift and unconscious man out of an AFV (possibly whilst it is on fire) would probably only get you a posthumous gallantry award after the handle broke and you fell of the AFV and broke your neck ! :D

They are, however, a nice jacket but I've always found regardless of height, that you need a long in your chosen size. Otherwise they are VERY short.

4 bucks is a good score for sure ! Well spotted that man :)

Dave

Atticus

JACKET_ HEAD said:
...but I've always found regardless of height, that you need a long in your chosen size. Otherwise they are VERY short.
I agree. I puzzled over whether to buy this jacket because it is an XL Long...but when it arrived, I realized that I needed the extra length. These jackets appear to be sized much like the Navy WEP....very short in the body.

AF

watchmanjimg

I hadn't noticed the short body so much as an overall skimpiness in the cut of these garments. Whereas a Medium Regular is a close but acceptable fit in the lightweight Nomex Army flyer's jacket, I need a Large Regular in the cold weather version. Then again, keep in mind that just like the flight jackets these were meant for wear over a one-piece coverall. Coverage against drafts where the T-shirt meets the jeans wasn't part of the design, I suppose.

Rutger

I like them. They are labelled flyer's jackets, and I think they are underrated.

Because of the cloth-like fabric they feel warmer and more comfy than the CWU-36 /-45 which are nomex as well. Any (even minor) sweating in the CWU makes it feel as if sticking to the skin, whereas in the CVC humidity is evaporated through the cloth much more easily.
They're also a lot cheaper, and I feel less sorry when I get stains on one of them, because the jacket feels much more like a practical jacket than the CWU.
The neck can be closed up with a velcro strap, which I found very practical as well because it eliminates draughts around the neck when cycling or biking.
They are short and tight, I started with large-regular, but feel better with XL-long. Long is a must.
Maybe I should try Large-long as well, but shipping to the Netherlands is more than the cost of the jacket.

The winter version is also available in desert tan, which can be found on ebay occasionally. These I do like very much indeed, but I never saw one for less than about $80. Maybe someone else did get one for a lot less though.
I have three of these, all three of them XL-L, but one of them is a full size bigger than the tag says with wider body, longer sleeves, and longer body.

Saw a used CVC jacket on ebay this week for $250 or best offer. What a laugh. For two seconds considered making an offer of $20, but that would have been too childish.

Rutger

Peter Graham

Can someone post a picture of one of these jackets ? I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here. Cheers.