• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Mcqueen's A2 in the Great Escape

unclegrumpy

Officer Dibley said:
Thanks Doc, I thought for a minute there that common sense had completely left the building :D

That is seriously heavy wear though. More than most originals worn during the war years I'd venture to say.

That GW looks exactly like well worn WW II originals do!

You have to remember, the movie jacket was 20+ years old before it ever hit McQueen's back. It clearly had a lot of honest wear before the prop people ever got a hold of it. Besides re dying, there are some movie stills of the jacket that look like the lining was replaced as well. There is also the strong possibility that they used several jackets in the movie, and thus we are not always seeing the same one in every shot.

With a little further thought and study, I think you may come around to seeing why many of us think that Goodwear is a masterpiece.....especially compared to a brand new jacket right out of the box that might take years of wear to look even broken in. That is not to say that you cannot achieve something close to an original Hilts look using an Eastman or something else, it just is not likely going to be a brand new one.

cmk-2

I'm the "nutter" that asked John to produce a 1401 in Russett then Re-dye it to match (as best as he could) the V. Hilts jacket. I then had the nutty, crazy idea to wear the heck out of it and leave in the dash of my car in the summer. It's MY jacket I paid MY money for it so if I choose to be a "nutter" and not leave in it in my closet laying flat in a box with cedar chips so that someone else wears it after I'm dead, that's my choice. When I sent my jacket back to John so he could replace my name strip he took pictures of it and asked me if he could post them on his web site. I did not ask him to post them for me. Officer Dibley, you do what you want with YOUR jacket I won't call you "Nutty",If you have actually stepped up and bought a high end jacket . After all IMO the 1950-1970 movies and TV shows have the best looking A-2's because of the age and wear the original jackets have had by that time.

Dr H

Relax...there was a healthy dose of irony in there with the dashboard comment.
It's a beautiful jacket and a credit to you - I'd happily have my Doniger look like it.
FFS, let's not have this place get like the FL please...

cmk-2

Dr H, My post was not meant for you at all. It was the "nutty" bit I took offense to. Your right, of course we don't want a flame war.

Steve27752

cmk-2 said:
I'm the "nutter" that asked John to produce a 1401 in Russett then Re-dye it to match (as best as he could) the V. Hilts jacket. I then had the nutty, crazy idea to wear the heck out of it and leave in the dash of my car in the summer. It's MY jacket I paid MY money for it so if I choose to be a "nutter" and not leave in it in my closet laying flat in a box with cedar chips so that someone else wears it after I'm dead, that's my choice. When I sent my jacket back to John so he could replace my name strip he took pictures of it and asked me if he could post them on his web site. I did not ask him to post them for me. Officer Dibley, you do what you want with YOUR jacket I won't call you "Nutty",If you have actually stepped up and bought a high end jacket . After all IMO the 1950-1970 movies and TV shows have the best looking A-2's because of the age and wear the original jackets have had by that time.

Chill fella.......Chill.

MikeyB-17

I think the Nutter in question was a hypothetical one-one who may have bought the jacket new and artificially aged it to that condition-which was not the case, of course.

Marv

I think we all agree, it's a great looking jacket and could most definitely pass as an original in my eyes.

Dr H

MikeyB-17 said:
I think the Nutter in question was a hypothetical one-one who may have bought the jacket new and artificially aged it to that condition-which was not the case, of course.

100%.

Buying an expensive jacket and ageing it artificially to a high level, might have been thought excessive; buying an expensive jacket and wearing it regularly and without cosseting it so that it inevitably ages/patinates naturally is an entirely different matter and laudable.

As we speak, my Doni is laying on the rear parcel shelf... :cool:

Officer Dibley

MikeyB-17 said:

Exactly !! Thank you Mikey. My comments were not a personal attack on CMK-2.

The gist of what i was trying to say was that IF the jacket had been artificially aged and torn then it seemed mad to ME because for ME to buy a GW takes lots of time to earn the money and to reduce the life of a jacket to get as worn a look as that jacket has would seem strange. The jacket looks like an original that has been worn for 70 years, no doubt about that. Personally I prefer a jacket looking like it has 3-5 years worth of wear as that is how they looked DURING the war and that is the look i like. Horses for courses and neither is right or wrong.

I am genuinely sorry CMK-2 reacted as badly and taken to heart as much as he has, comments made by someone he doesn't know, in another part of the world, whom he will never meet and who's opinion shouldn't really cause him grief. The intent was not to offend but merely to express my opinion.

For the record, I have a GW A-2 and it gets lots of wear around town, on base and on my motorcycle and is left lying about wherever i am. I do not do anything to accelerate the wear nor it does not sit in a box with cedar strips etc, etc. I have one A-2 and one original goat G-1.

Dr H, those sentiments are mine exactly and as said above, exactly what i do with my jacket !

"Buying an expensive jacket and ageing it artificially to a high level, might have been thought excessive; buying an expensive jacket and wearing it regularly and without cosseting it so that it inevitably ages/patinates naturally is an entirely different matter and laudable."

cmk-2

Please accept my apology, I misunderstood your post. I guess the second Scotch for the evening hit me a bit hard...But it should tasted good.

unclegrumpy

I am not exactly sure why you need to apologize for anything, however it is very gracious of you to to so. But then again, I am a probably just another "Nutter" too. :D

1646661.png

FlyingYankee

I Must be a nutter too. I wore my Goodwear Roughwear out in a downpour last week to pick up some tools in the yard then inadvertently left it in the back window of my car in 95 degree heat yesterday at the base(I always carry my jacket everywhere I go as the weather changes quickly in New England) well the end result was that the RW stiffened like a piece of cardboard and shrunk too small. today I am putting a healthy dose of Red wing shoes natural boot oil on it and stretching the sleeves with weights as they went from 27" to 26"

bfrench

Administrator
FlyingYankee said:
Today I am putting a healthy dose of Red wing shoes natural boot oil on it and stretching the sleeves with weights as they went from 27" to 26"

Another quick fix if you don't have Pecards available is to use Vaseline - good old petroleum jelly - easily soaked in to the leather.