• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Mcqueen's A2 in the Great Escape

Marv

I guessing that this subject will have been discussed before somewhere on the forum but I am being a bit lazy so I will ask the question again....

Do we know for definite which contract was Steve Mcqueen's A2 in the Great Escape, I have been watching the movie but it's a bit difficult tell from the screen shots, also the jacket colour looks pretty dark so do we reckon it has been re-dyed for the movie or at some point before that.

thanks in advance............

omarco

So if someone wanted to get there hands on a good repro of said jacket where is the best place to get one? I'v seen plenty of 27752's but none seem to have the right finish, it's that re dyed look that really makes it stand out and I'd guess that finish would look perfect after some hard wear.

Dr H

There's a post on here showing a customer's GW after 2 or 3 years of wear/storage in Sun on a car dashboard. Looked 100% authentic.

unclegrumpy

I think there also have been many with the opinion that the Hilts jacket probably had a depot re-dye at one point. I have owned several original jackets that have been worked over and reissued....they are not always this shade of brown, but they tend to have the same look. I think both JC and CBI have done some masterful recreations of this.

MV5BMTQ4OTY5NTkwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg4MTkzNA@@._V1._SX640_SY617_.jpg

Note: It looks like the Studio reversed this shot for aesthetic reasons...

Dr H

It is a heavily worn GW (over 2-3 years I think), not cosseted and originally sold in a 're-dyed' finish (designed to wear through at high points).

Officer Dibley

Thanks Doc, I thought for a minute there that common sense had completely left the building :D

That is seriously heavy wear though. More than most originals worn during the war years I'd venture to say.