• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

CBI

I have also seen a lot of WW2 pics of guys with very open/super wide collar areas, probably accentuated by wearing a scarf. You don't see it in these photos but its a look I really like.

Persimmon

I have also seen a lot of WW2 pics of guys with very open/super wide collar areas, probably accentuated by wearing a scarf. You don't see it in these photos but its a look I really like.

Here is an example John
This is Manny Klette. He led the 91st bomb group on the last mission of the war. It was his 91st combat sortie. A record unsurpassed by any other 8th army Air Force Pilot.

Also shows that tucked in waistband look.

70C5AE13-4DD8-4F63-8946-BC4F74D2DEB3.jpeg

CBI

Yep!

So here is the next question, minus the hat, scarf, uniform, etc. if you head out to dinner with friends wearing an A-2 that blouses, with a big open collar, are you cool or are you wearing a costume? Its such an awesome look but so outdated by todays wearing standards. I've been called "Fonzie" before and don't like it!

B-Man2

Just my opinion, but I think it was almost bazaar that these guys had to wear ties when they went into combat.
I remember reading that Patton made all of his officers dress in ties when in combat.
How times have changed.o_O

blackrat2

For me looking at these pics I think it’s a very personal thing and possibly as eluded to in the old Eastman catalogue...that how it’s worn gives the wearer a certain amount of kudos for being a vet
In no way do I want to take anything from any of these guys but some of these pilots look fairly short in service compared to someone wearing a collar folded up or the waist tucked up...which has the look of someone who has flown many hours and no doubt a lot of those in combat
I like a loose fit for sure as I just couldn’t stand a trim jacket with no room for layering..
I wear uniform at work and you can spot the probies a mile away

Smithy

Nice job Greg, I reckon you're getting better at it.

I love that photo of Blakeslee, it's just such a great image.

Southoftheborder

A few years ago people wearing trilby/fedora hats would be called Indiana Jones or something equally crass. So who cares what other people think? Fu*k em. The dogs may bark but the caravan moves on.

johnwayne

Not many kids are aware of Fonzie, who’s jacket was black anyway! Some great images here and Greg despite my earlier thoughts on colorisation of b/w pics that’s a great effort and clearly from the pics we’ve seen there’s nothing like a lot of hours in a cockpit to get ‘that look’!! Maybe the physique of those guys helps too given I bet that most A2’s were less than 40” back then? Only last week when wearing my GW I got complimented on it by young guy in petrol station saying it was a ‘cool jacket’ - not that I looked cool!!!!

Last edited:

B-Man2

Tim
“Dude of the day”
Has a ring !! Could be a whole new thread with legs to go a while......Yes!!! I like it . Give it a try....