• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

tjoenn

Interesting points about fit. I'm a long & slim fella', so when I bought my dream jacket that is supposed to last a lifetime (Eastman Star A-2) I spent 2 hours trying on a size 40 and a size 42. The 40 was trim, but still comfy and roomy in the torso, slightly on the shorter side in the sleeves. The 42 had longer sleeves although by not much, but the torso was way too roomy, so I went with the 40.

Ever since the I've spent hours thinking about how I perhaps should have gone for the 42, but I always remind myself of the fact that these jackets were issued back in WW2, none of these pilots spent 2 hours in front of a mirror at the supply depot :)

I have the exact same experience with my Eastman B-6. Went with the 40, it was perfect, but as the sleeves start to crease, they get a bit shorter and I wish they were one inch longer. However, the 42 was too roomy... I hope next winter I'm over it :)

Smithy

Thought it worthwhile to add this photo to this thread as it's another 4th FG photo, this time of Blakeslee holding a "briefing" for the benefit of the visiting press. We've all seen it before but that doesn't stop it being a great image of A-2s and B-10s (and a couple of shearlings thrown in for good measure).

BLAKESLEE-Brief-960_640.jpg

Smithy

Wonderful photos Greg, many thanks for posting them.

I'm not an A-2 expert by any means but I tend to think that looking at photos from the period, that A-2 sleeves tended to be worn slightly shorter back then than what is the general preference with how people like them with modern repros now.

Smithy

Here's another goodie that I just scanned. From left, 1Lts Tom Biel, Gerald Montgomery and Vic France. The 334th had a pot running where each of the 30 pilots contributed 1 quid to be won by the pilot who scored the 50th kill for the unit. When the time came they couldn't be sure which of these scored the 50th and so they split the pot. Of special note is Vic France's polka dot scarf which he obtained whilst flying with the RAF Eagle Sqns. Polka dot scarves were exceedingly de rigeur for RAF fighter pilots and Vic had obviously followed the trend. A nice little connection between his time with the RAF and flying with the 4th FG.

p9iaZKB.jpg

Grant

Bitchin photo Smithy!
Is there a site somewhere to download a higher res version of it?

Smithy

It's from the IWM's American Air Museum in Britain project:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/20700

You can download the photo but I think that it's pretty much the same size Grant. Might be worth getting in touch with them and seeing if you can get a larger resolution copy. Some museums will even do this for free so long as the photo is not going to be used for commercial purposes.

I agree it's a great photo and Blakeslee was such a character, I still chuckle about that thing with him and the two WAAFs!

Here's another one which could also be from the same photo shoot...

06blakeslee-inline1-650.jpg

Smithy

I forgot to also add one interesting thing about Blakeslee which intrigues me...

For someone who was such a strong character and colourful personality he was one of very few 4th FG pilots who never wanted nose art on his aircraft.

B-Man2

I forgot to also add one interesting thing about Blakeslee which intrigues me...

For someone who was such a strong character and colourful personality he was one of very few 4th FG pilots who never wanted nose art on his aircraft.

I think that nose art would mark you as a target for every new hot shot enemy pilot trying to make a name for himself . Particularly if you were an ace. I don’t think I would have had nose art or my kill score on my aircraft if I had been a fighter pilot during the war.

Smithy

I think that nose art would mark you as a target for every new hot shot enemy pilot trying to make a name for himself . Particularly if you were an ace. I don’t think I would have had nose art or my kill score on my aircraft if I had been a fighter pilot during the war.

I don't think that's the reason Burt. Nearly all 4th FG aircraft carried nose art so in a formation nearly every aircraft flying would be carrying it. Not having it would actually be more obvious.

I have a theory but it's just that. Blakeslee seems to have been a bit of a tear-away on land but an absolute professional when flying. Case in point he flat out refused being transferred from his regular RAF squadron to one of the Eagle Squadrons because he thought they were a bunch of unprofessional and over-claiming prima donnas, indeed Blakeslee's suspicion and near contempt of the Eagle Sqns is well documented. I think he was someone heavily influenced professionally by his time in the RAF so that anything frivolous (including things like nose art) went against how he wanted to fight his war.

On the ground he was a hardcase but when it came to war flying he was an absolute professional with no time for any non-essential detail.

Smithy

More images of A-2s and the 4th.

Here's another nice one of Blakeslee:

media-23831.jpeg

And another chap from the 4th, Alexander Rafalovich:

media-13587.jpeg

I know there's no such think as the perfect A-2 fit but for me personally, these two fellows' A-2s are right in the sweet spot of when they look best, not too baggy, not skin tight and sleeves on the shorter side rather than the longer.

Lorenzo_l

That's a cracking set of pictures. Thanks for posting, Smithy and Greg. I was also wondering about D. Blakeslee's jacket. Hard to say. I see a collar stand, so that rules out later contract Aeros and Dubows, but can't really say much more than that.

Smithy

Some more snaps of the 4th and their A-2s...

Capt Rafalovich again (on the left) and Lt Bunte at Debden:

media-377280.jpg

Capt Clarke of the 334th and Duke:

media-377287.jpg

Nice period colour photo before the arrival of the B-10:

media-377307.jpg

Lt Chatterley of the 334th:

media-14180.jpeg

And Capt Beeson of the 334th with his thumb on the gun button of his P-51 for the benefit of the press:

media-401107.jpg