• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Definitely drape differently

It's probably the one thing which is often completely forgotten about and yet for me is the most obvious difference between originals and repros.

Just look at those new class originals above and the creasing and how they look compared to 99.9% of modern repros, even the really high end ones.

Smithy

And bringing it back to the 4th, look at the drape and creasing on these...

media-377296.jpg.webp

Pa12

We've talked about this on here before.

Originals were chrome tanned not veg tanned. Most high end modern repros are veg tanned. The problem is that veg tanned, whilst looking nice, often has an entirely different drape from originals because it's stiffer. Those originals back in the day would have been very soft and pliable. Leather stiffens with age so you can't base the drape on what an original is like now, 80 years of ageing and the leather has stiffened.

I've talked about this before and I think it's a majorly overlooked facet of repros. Drape is just as important as the look of the leather. That's what looks off with some high end repros, the leather looks great but it looks like it's made out of newspaper in how it behaves when worn.

I've got a photo of freshly issued A-2s back during the war which I'll post when I dig it out to show that the originals didn't need breaking in, the leather was already very soft.
Makes me think back to Elc last time I bought from them, about 6 years ago. “Veg tanned, just like the originals “

Smithy

Makes me think back to Elc last time I bought from them, about 6 years ago. “Veg tanned, just like the originals “

Yeah, ELC's old veg tanned claim - never let the truth get in the way of marketing.

Others may disagree but I don't think the majority of modern day high end veg tanned repros behave or drape anything like the originals did.

Pa12

Yeah, ELC's old veg tanned claim - never let the truth get in the way of marketing.

Others may disagree but I don't think the majority of modern day high end veg tanned repros behave or drape anything like the originals did.
Of course your body size will make a big difference too. Jacket can’t drape if it’s full. Mine fit better after dropping 10 lbs of Christmas crap.

caddyd

And point to be made whether then or now if the collar was constructed with a thicker cut of leather its always going to hang stiffer even if it had a collar stand or not.

Smithy

When I first landed here someone once said that the the original A-2's have a lighter look and feel than the modern reproductions and I agree.

I think the whole way that the jacket actually drapes and creases because of the behaviour of the leather is something that has been completely forgotten/ignored by most repro manufacturers.

Smithy

I hate to say it, but if all the jackets I’ve had the one that comes closest to that drape was a cowhide Avirex I had in the late 80’s.

Funny you should say that. I have one of the very small pre-release WPG A-2s which whilst having the wrong size snaps and dodgy knits has the best draping leather I've owned compared to those original photos. It's not the most accurate A-2 in details but in terms of how it wears and drapes, it's better than any veg tanned jacket I've seen for several times the price.

q1SGmqJ.jpg

It always reminds me of this when I wear it...

7ZenYav.png

Smithy

Funny you should say that. I have one of the very small pre-release WPG A-2s which whilst having the wrong size snaps and dodgy knits has the best draping leather I've owned compared to those original photos. It's not the most accurate A-2 in details but in terms of how it wears and drapes, it's better than any veg tanned jacket I've seen for several times the price.

q1SGmqJ.jpg

It always reminds me of this when I wear it...

7ZenYav.png

Here's a sleeve shot which gives a good impression of how the leather creases similar to how originals look in the photos. It's as soft as butter and just really easy to wear.

xbnkKox.jpg

Excuse the Christmas slob-around-the-house-pants in the next one but it's good for showing how supple the leather is. Not the most accurate A-2 in the world detail-wise but it'd go toe to toe with the big boys I think when it comes to how the originals wore and draped when they were issued.

RMUMSUE.jpg

Smithy

BTW one of the first things the technical curator at the national aviation museum told me when I started work there was how leather stiffens with age.

We were looking at 3 combat used A-2s that the museum had (and because I was obviously interested) and he told me these will have hardened significantly in the last 80 years. He said they would've have been a lot more supple and pliable back in the 1940s.

ES335

Which ever jacket I’m wearing, I don’t hang it up at the end of the day. I scrunch it up in a ball and put it on the kitchen chair. It’s softening up my Platon and giving it lots of character. Pisses the wife off though. ;)
Toss it into your clothes dryer, zipped up at NO heat with two-three tennis balls for an hour...

Pa12

BTW one of the first things the technical curator at the national aviation museum told me when I started work there was how leather stiffens with age.

We were looking at 3 combat used A-2s that the museum had (and because I was obviously interested) and he told me these will have hardened significantly in the last 80 years. He said they would've have been a lot more supple and pliable back in the 1940s.
Yes, I’ve seen that in other leather goods. They dry out over time. I guess it goes without saying jackets would do the same.