• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Brettafett

Slightly off topic, but there's a paragraph at the end of Johnny Godfrey's under-rated book, where Goodson reminisces with him at his bedside (just before Johnny passed)... Gets me every time.

Greg Gale

Found this on Facebook. Is this the coolest photo of Steve Pisanos or what?

186491481_10225004765176127_595838543232174109_n.jpg

Micawber

Terrific colorization done by Renee Chan - she’s by far the best out there.

View attachment 63841

With respect Greg I beg to differ. I think Nathan Howland (Howdi), a professional who has been around for years, has a better grasp of the subject. Renee is relatively new and has become known by posting (polite term) her work to as many FB groups as she can find, including those I co admin. Her descriptions sometimes contain errors.

Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Greg Gale

With respect Greg I beg to differ. I think Nathan Howland (Howdi), a professional who has been around for years, has a better grasp of the subject. Renee is relatively new and has become known by posting (polite term) her work to as many FB groups as she can find, including those I co admin. Her descriptions sometimes contain errors.

Just my personal opinion.

Interesting you mention him. He's very good, but all his photos have an unrealistic bright greenish hue, or some other color that just looks out of place. When I respectfully mentioned this in a comment under one of his photos he replied like a true pompous @ass. So I unfollowed his page. He also started by sharing his photos in every possible group just like Renee.

This one is a good example: the Spitfires' camo looks way too vivid, not being affected by the environment, the sky is unrealistically blue, and the whole image has a purplish hue that I cannot possibly explain. Renee's work is much more believable to me, but that's just my subjective opinion.

193121972_315053583397451_4677449939948274302_n.jpg

Micawber

Interesting you mention him. He's very good, but all his photos have an unrealistic bright greenish hue, or some other color that just looks out of place. When I respectfully mentioned this in a comment under one of his photos he replied like a true pompous @ass. So I unfollowed his page. He also started by sharing his photos in every possible group just like Renee.

This one is a good example: the Spitfires' camo looks way too vivid, not being affected by the environment, the sky is unrealistically blue, and the whole image has a purplish hue that I cannot possibly explain. Renee's work is much more believable to me, but that's just my subjective opinion.

View attachment 63906

Funny you should mention the pompous aspect, I can fully understand and sympathise that you would feel that way as I have experienced much the same. With that in mind I'm not going to spend time defending his work ;)

As you say these things are subjective :)

Grant

Really great photo, Greg! Thanks for posting.
Sorry if this has been posted before: The Mettle Behind the Merit - the Steve Pisanos story is nicely produced:

Really cool to learn he was an illegal Alien when he came to the US and what he overcame to become a fighter pilot.

YoungMedic

Sorry if this has been posted before: The Mettle Behind the Merit - the Steve Pisanos story is nicely produced:

Really cool to learn he was an illegal Alien when he came to the US and what he overcame to become a fighter pilot.
Terrific! Thanks for sharing or re-sharing

Lorenzo_l

Excellent documentary on a greater-than-life character. Thanks for posting Grant.