• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Suddenly remembered that James Goodson passed away 6 years ago today so we better have another Dude of the Day in Goody's memory. Anybody who hasn't read his "Tumult in the Clouds" should, great book by a great man.

media-18900.jpeg

media-377303.jpg

CBI

the jackets look GREAT in these photos. Is just NOT there nowadays. These are vintage flying garments, they look COOL but vintage and as much as I love wearing them now, its just not the same.........to the point where I stopped wearing them............except very rarely.

Smithy

Couldn't agree more Tim.
This piece, between Goody and Godfrey (on his death bed), I find so poignant... This is what attracts me to these men... and their stories.
View attachment 36480

There's a lot of fairly moving pieces of writing in Goody's works but I agree Brett that postscript in Tumult in the Clouds really tugs the heartstrings.

I've just about finished my current book and was wondering what I might read next. Maybe a revisit to Tumult is in order. Easily one of my favourite pilot memoirs from WWII.

Smithy

Tim, I know I've asked you before, but here it is again... Top 3 books on the 4th?

Jeez that's a tough one. I've got most of them so can you narrow it down? Maybe best memoirs or best reference books.

As you guys know the 4th is one of my big aviation passions and for that reason I love all my books on the 4th for very different reasons so it's difficult to pick just 3 ;)

Brettafett

hahaha I think this was what you answered last time! I think what I am fearing too is engaging 'in-the-cockpit-I-was-there-on-his-tail' reads... Just n case Ive missed on!

Smithy

hahaha I think this was what you answered last time! I think what I am fearing too is engaging 'in-the-cockpit-I-was-there-on-his-tail' reads... Just n case Ive missed on!

It's such a tough one Brett, as you guys probably know from hanging around here, the Battle of Britain and the RFC/RAF in 1917 to 1918, along with the Eagles and the 4th FG are my biggest aviation interests. I have so many books on these that's it's tricky to say what's "best", and that's always a subjective question anyway ;-)

If we're talking memoirs Steve Pisanos' "The Flying Greek" is one I found to be exceptionally enjoyable.

Less easy to find but "Oscar" by Oscar Coen is a very good read too.

If you can get either of these they're great reads.

What I really want to see is someone like Troy White write a decent biography of Don Blakeslee. A book on the great man is long overdue.

YoungMedic

Such a great thread, I love this last picture, I can't imagine growing up in the 30's and then to be given a 1000 hp killing machine before my 21st birthday, and go out with all my other young buddies to fight the war , twisted steel and sex appeal. It's fun to try though

Smithy

Shit a brick Smithy!

Nearly 11 months since I posted a Dude of the Day for my 4th FG thread. Hopeless. Just bloody hopeless.

Still as the bishop said to the actress, better late than never darling, so without further ado, a long overdue Dude of the Day...

I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have posted this before back in the dim, dark mists when I started this thread but TBH I don't care, it's Blakeslee, my supreme hero of the 4th and it's a cracking photo. Just back from a show with helmet hair and all.

His Mae West is oil stained from an earlier op on 7th January 1944 when he got clobbered by a 190 and he got doused in a good volume of oil from his injured engine.

WB2GYc0.jpg

Greg Gale

I wonder how much of that oil got on his jacket and what he did about it - probably just wiped it off?

I just read about George Preddy ditching into the Channel on a cold winter day. His jacket must have gotten soaked. Then dried. Then worn. I'm sure he did not get a new one... I guess we're babying ours way too much :D