• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

RM Williams... er'day!

Do have Dads Acme Boot Co boots, still in the early 60s box! Saving them for a rainy day...

I've got RM Williams too Couchy. Justin ropers are very much like higher RM boots, in fact that's exactly how they feel when I wear them.

LjU1yTQ.jpg

ausreenactor

I have three sets of Craftsmans and I love the fit... Compared to some of the amazing boots I see on VLJ, they are nothing....

Griffon_301

Inspired by some posts here, I have found me a proper copy of Goodson's bio, apparently even signed by him...
Looking forward to reading it as the only 8th AF fighter pilot I have read so far is "To Fly and Fight" by Bud Anderson...

Smithy

Inspired by some posts here, I have found me a proper copy of Goodson's bio, apparently even signed by him...
Looking forward to reading it as the only 8th AF fighter pilot I have read so far is "To Fly and Fight" by Bud Anderson...

I've got both of Goody's books and both signed by the great man!

You'll love it, he's a great writer.

Smithy

Can't remember if I've posted any film clips on here so this might be a first, anyway a really great little British Pathé clip of Don Gentile and probably the most famous P-51B, Shangri-La.

This wasn't terribly long before Don pranged Shangri-La at Debden in front of reporters completely writing it off. Blakeslee hit the roof over this and poor old Don was in the doghouse.

Persimmon

I've got both of Goody's books and both signed by the great man!

You'll love it, he's a great writer.

I have that book. Excellent. Mind you it’s one of the rare unsigned versions !

ausreenactor

Can't remember if I've posted any film clips on here so this might be a first, anyway a really great little British Pathé clip of Don Gentile and probably the most famous P-51B, Shangri-La.

This wasn't terribly long before Don pranged Shangri-La at Debden in front of reporters completely writing it off. Blakeslee hit the roof over this and poor old Don was in the doghouse.

Not the ideal time to disgrace the 'Old man'.

Lorenzo_l

Great little clip, Tim. Was Gentile not sent back to the USA after that prang in Debden?

Smithy

Great little clip, Tim. Was Gentile not sent back to the USA after that prang in Debden?

Yup spot on Lorenzo. Blakeslee grounded Gentile on the spot and he returned to the States to do a War Bonds tour. On Blakeslee's orders he was not allowed to return to the 4th after completing this.

B-Man2

Were Blakeslee and Gentile not on good terms prior to this incident ? Or was Gentile show boating when he crashed the plane ? I’m just trying to figure out why Blakeslee wanted him out of the 4th when he was such a high scoring ACE . Was it just that they were so competitive that Blaskeslee wanted to eliminate his competition in the group .

Smithy

Were Blakeslee and Gentile not on good terms prior to this incident ? Or was Gentile show boating when he crashed the plane ? I’m just trying to figure out why Blakeslee wanted him out of the 4th when he was such a high scoring ACE . Was it just that they were so competitive that Blaskeslee wanted to eliminate his competition in the group .

Definitely not Blakeslee wanting to get rid of a pilot for competitive reasons.

Blakeslee was/is regarded by many as the best Allied fighter leader of the war, even Johnnie Johnson thought as much. Blakeslee was the consummate professional in the air and was only interested in getting his group to perform their shows to the best of their ability and knocking down Huns in the process. He was uninterested in his personal score and not in for showiness - this is the reason why his aircraft with the 4th never carried nose art or a score.

I personally think he kicked Gentile out because this was a major cock up and in front of the press. Gentile was a highly experienced pilot and pranged because he was trying to show off for the press, and he was very lucky that he hadn't killed himself in the process. It was a stupid mistake and really one that a highly experienced pilot shouldn't have made.

Blakeslee was no nonsense too so I imagine after this sort of error it was a simple case of "if you're going to act like a dick you're off the team".