• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what are you planning to buy this year ?

Andrew

Nothing new for me, with a global financial crisis and in this steamy summer it's hard to imagine anything right now.... :oops:
I'll probably just enjoy continuing to break in my GW dubow in a few months time but having said that I something interesting in the form of a GW or Original pops up in six months I may bite...

Peter Graham

I'm in the process of building a new house and hopefully my hotrod project will get off the ground this year so not much money to fund jackets but I've always got my eyes open for a bargain so a jacket or two might well appear this year, especially if I sell a few.

RudyN

I have a Perry Sportswear A2 in HH on order from Goodwear and I think it will be done pretty soon.

srivats

RudyN said:
I have a Perry Sportswear A2 in HH on order from Goodwear and I think it will be done pretty soon.

John's perry is outstanding ... Jason had a thread comparing a GW with 2 originals (perrys three was the name of that thread I think), and the jacket was amazing to say the least ... make sure to post some pics of you wearing the jacket once you get it ...

MikeyB-17

Quite possibly nothing, unless some incredible bargain appears when I happen to have some spare cash-my money goes elsewhere these days, and the collection has all but gone. The urge to spend big wads of cash on jackets has thankfully left me. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that A-2's and G-1's actually don't look that good on me. There are still a few things I have my eye on, though.

zoomer

I would like a good secondhand repro of a first generation G-1 (M-422/A/AN-6552), and same of a B-6 or D-1.

I'm out of the A-2 market until someone remakes the 1932 Security.

greyhound52

Well I should get my Aero D-1 redskin model this month so even though I ordered in December guess that is a 09 purchase. Always looking for nylon vintage jackets though it would have to be really special. Since I have 10 A2s I think I am out of that business unless John does a security togs then I am on it.

Swing

Nothing flight jacket related. Will probably need to get a new vehicle next year, or drop over $1000 in the one I currently have over 150,000 miles on. Will need to stock up on reloading components for trap shooting soon, but with the high cost of lead shot I'm sitting tight and waiting for prices to reflect to the recent huge drop in the cost of lead. I've currently got 50 lbs of shot, and about 250 factory shells, and between the factory ammo and the shot I have to reload with, that's not enough to get me through the next two months. I'm not looking foward to soon dropping close to $400 on wads, powder and primers, and Lord know what on shot.

~Swing

Cliff

I am still looking for that perfect original Irvin in a condition that could be worn and in a size that would fit me. Looks like I will be retiring at the end of January so will have little bit of redundancy package to squander on something wicked, like one of JCs horse A2s or an Eastman 1940 Irvin, or an ANJ4 or ......... ??

Happy New Year to All

regards

Cliff

donsom

I'm waiting to see if Eastman begins offering the IRVIN line in "simulated wear". If so, they'll probably be selling off any shelf stock as they did with the B-3's and the ANJ-4's late last year.

If they've got any size 44 or 46 IRVINs ... in the 1940's pattern, I will definitely think of snapping one up. That would (at least for me) complete my shearling collection for the time being.

I personally am not a fan of simulated wear, and if I did buy another ELC jacket, would ask that they NOT do it. I like to put on my own mileage and watch the wear in process. I know it takes longer, but it's all part of the experience IMO.

My ELC B-3 redskin that I got back in September is beginning to wear in nicely ... feeling more "loose" and form fitting every time I wear it as the leather shapes to the wearer.

Also, my Aero ANJ-4 was a real eye-opener as to the type of shearling and leather that Aero uses. I will take their jackets far more seriously in the future for their quality.

Stony

Just waiting for my Goodwear Doniger to arrive. Other than that, whatever comes my way in the vintage area.

John Lever

donsom said:
I'm waiting to see if Eastman begins offering the IRVIN line in "simulated wear". If so, they'll probably be selling off any shelf stock as they did with the B-3's and the ANJ-4's late last year.

If they've got any size 44 or 46 IRVINs ... in the 1940's pattern, I will definitely think of snapping one up. That would (at least for me) complete my shearling collection for the time being.

I personally am not a fan of simulated wear, and if I did buy another ELC jacket, would ask that they NOT do it. I like to put on my own mileage and watch the wear in process. I know it takes longer, but it's all part of the experience IMO.

My ELC B-3 redskin that I got back in September is beginning to wear in nicely ... feeling more "loose" and form fitting every time I wear it as the leather shapes to the wearer.

Also, my Aero ANJ-4 was a real eye-opener as to the type of shearling and leather that Aero uses. I will take their jackets far more seriously in the future for their quality.
The Vintage finish has been their sole offering for a couple of years now. The BoB is in the shiny/unbroken finish.

Curahee

I think I will order my first GW A-2 probably the Bronco contract russet HH wich I had my
eye on since the introduction of GW in 2007, with (if possible) a NOS Crown zipper.
And I hope that this economic crisis will reduce the waiting list a little

donsom

John Lever said:
The Vintage finish has been their sole offering for a couple of years now. The BoB is in the shiny/unbroken finish.

ELC Battle of Britain (RAF 1940) IRVIN is the one that I'd be after. Single seam on the back and shiny and unbroken. I personally just like that version better than the darker multi-seamed version.

Because it's not their main model, they probably won't offer it in "simulated wear", and, they probably wouldn't keep any in stock, so, there probably won't be any that they sell off .. BUT, I'm Hopeful :D

In the meantime, I'm setting "X" amount of dollars aside per month to be able to purchase one for late this year ... or sooner depending on finances.

John Lever

They do a multi panel in that hide. I had one [by accident] it was very nice. In the end I went for the Vintage finish, with the less than perfect fleece colour.

Cliff

I email Gary in November to enquire as to whether they were going to introduce a "broken grain" Irvin in the near future .

His response .....

Dear Cliff,

Thanks for the enquiry. However, no such plans at present.

Many thanks.
Best regards,
Gary

I even said if they did a trial one I would be happy to purchase it from them to off set their costs, if it was a size 46.

A great shame IMO as I think it would have worked out well.

rgds

Cliff

siddhartha

Administrator
John Lever said:
siddhartha said:
Probably nothing this year-I am trying to cut back on purchasing anything, as we are moving to Florida, and I can't justify it right now.

After a year in Florida, not sure where we'll end up, so I am not certain I'd need a sheepskin, though something like an ANJ-4 is tempting this time here in Boston...

Last purchase was a Few A-1 from Bevan, and I haven't even really worn it yet

Chris
Hi Chris,

There must quite significant cultural/climatic differences between Boston and Florida, how will you wear jackets in all that heat ?
Hope it all works out well for you, remember jackets can be moth balled.

Huge cultural/climatic change, and I am still not sure if I will be going-it's only a year for my wife's colorectal surgical fellowship, so I might stay here, where I know the job/hospital, etc., and then regroup with her for our next big move-it's a hard choice...

I hear that occasionally, Florida might be cool enough in the evening to wear a A-1/A-2, but nothing more than that....they might go unworn for that year...

But, my dive watches (other hobby) should get a fine workout

Chris