• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So… What are Your Thoughts On This ?

B-Man2

What did you do to it Burt? From the photos it looked somewhat dry beforehand.

If no permanent re-dye and refinish of the wear spots took place but rather had a good clean and some hide food then it’s likely to have revived it and done it some good. The wear through the original finish will still be present and will become apparent again over time as the treatment dries and wears.
Thanks for all of your posts and opinions on this subject . Looks like there’s about an equal number of “let it alone” vs “ clean it up” opinions.
In answer to Steve’s question :
Nothing special was done to the jacket other than to apply a light coat of Pecards Brown. It’s Pecards with a brown tint that fills in the dryness and light cracks and wear in the hide with conditioner and some brown tint. As Micawber pointed out .. in time if the jacket is not cared for it will return to its original condition.
IMG_1519.jpeg

JonnyCrow

Thanks for all of your posts and opinions on this subject . Looks like there’s about an equal number of “let it alone” vs “ clean it up” opinions.
In answer to Steve’s question :
Nothing special was done to the jacket other than to apply a light coat of Pecards Brown. It’s Pecards with a brown tint that fills in the dryness and light cracks and wear in the hide with conditioner and some brown tint. As Micawber pointed out .. in time if the jacket is not cared for it will return to its original condition.
View attachment 121881
I treated the original Aero twice Burt and its beautiful now

Chandler

How does the color in the Pecards work? I wouldn't think it was a pigment like shoe polish, but I don't know.

Danner sells boot treatment with brown, black, and neutral, so I'm sure it's similar (might even be made by Pecards for them). But I think Burt's correct in that it's not a permanent stain or paint.

entertainment

Oh, I don't know - if you own a historic building, and you know what color it originally was, is it defacing the building to paint it that color instead of the lighter color it had faded to?
Maybe it has been painted the wrong color in the interim. I also was not talking about a historic building and I did not suggest that the paint color should be changed. You are extrapolating and twisting my intent. My point was that maintenance is a good thing if you don't want a house or jacket to disntegrate. In any case, did Burt change the color? Following on with your extrapolation, what if the original color of the build had faded to a completely different color? It does happen. Should the new paint match the original color or the faded and unintended color?

B-Man2

In answer to the above questions regarding Pecards Brown and color changes . I’ve used this product on one other occasion and while the product is tinted .. the color when applied doesn’t seem to be permanent but rather fades over time. As such it seems to be a good product for seal colored A2’s and G-1s which temporarily brings the jacket back to life and enhances the overall appearance of the jacket for a specific period of time. Eventually the jacket if not maintained with this product will return to its original condition. If anyone is looking to sell a jacket and wants to make it look it’s best, then this is the product I would recommend using .

Chandler

Yes … but even that will darken the russet color a little when it’s first applied .
But it's even more temporary than the pigmented Picards, right?

I've used the neutral Picards on a lot of jackets and boots and never seen a big shift, but I'm sure it depends on how the hide was tanned and finished. I made sure to get the extremely neutral hide treatment for my Iron Rangers with the nubuck leather.

B-Man2

But it's even more temporary than the pigmented Picards, right?

I've used the neutral Picards on a lot of jackets and boots and never seen a big shift, but I'm sure it depends on how the hide was tanned and finished. I made sure to get the extremely neutral hide treatment for my Iron Rangers with the nubuck leather.
Not sure which one lasts longer than the other. As I said , this was only the second time that I’ve used Pecards Brown so it’s still a learning process for me.

Thomas Koehle

Well from my point of view we ain't talk about "The MONA LISA" here but about a jacket that wasn't in such a bad state anyway. I liked it more before but understand it needed some TLC in order to prolong the life of it.

So i'd rather talk about a "refreshment" rather than a full "resto".

I'd used the untinted material rather than the tinted one to still show the "scars of time" but to give her some much needed grease.

On the IMPERIALS i recently replaced the knittings was just to maintain the functionality of the jackets but i left the leather untouched for exakt the reason to still show those traces of wear but improve the function sotosay.

Bottomline: grease YES - tinting (or however you call that color-pigments) NO