• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So… What are Your Thoughts On This ?

B-Man2

Today I had lunch with Young Medic (Tim). We usually try to get together once a month at our favorite spot in Jacksonville, Mission BBQ. We had a nice lunch and some good conversation, after which we went out to Tim’s car so that he could show me a Star G-1 which was an over run and was sold on the commercial market. Tim had mentioned that the jacket was in rough condition and he wasn’t sure wether he wanted to hang onto it. You can see what it looked like in the photos posted below. I asked Tim if he would mind if I took the jacket with me and clean it up a bit. Tim agreed and off I went with the jacket in hand . Now here’s the part of this story that needs your opinions . The question is that we as a group continuously try to break in jackets and “wear the piss out of them “ to get those jackets to have that “been there ,done that” look. Well as you can see from the before photos Tim’s jacket definitely has acquired that look to near maximum capacity. As you can see from the after photos I restored the jacket to a fairly nice looking and cleaned up jacket .
So the question is should the jacket have been left alone and worn with that salty look, or was it in the best interest of the jacket to restore it in an effort to preserve these original jackets as best we can for the next care taker who acquires the jacket?
I think it’s an interesting question so please
let me know your thoughts.
Ok here we go

BEFORE
IMG_1458.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpeg
IMG_1461.jpeg
IMG_1462.jpeg
IMG_1463.jpeg
IMG_1464.jpeg
IMG_1465.jpeg
IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_1469.jpeg

Juanito

What was done to the finish of the jacket to cover up or darken the wear marks?

Coming from a car background, I don't really get the preserve vs. restoration thing as it applies to jackets. Preserve has always meant to maintain in its original form, whereas restoration means refinishing or replacing a number of components. Something is original once.

I suppose with jackets it is a little different since I one doesn't really refinish a jacket and the only other option is to replace the significant components, like cuffs, liner, etc. What does one do to preserve a jacket aside from store it properly? Slather on the ghastly Pecard's? Darn the mothings?

For what it is worth, I like the untouched look better. Secondarily, I think what one does to a jacket depends heavily on it value and rarity. One isn't going to treat a 1970s cowhide G-1 the same as even an Aero A-2.

Micawber

What did you do to it Burt? From the photos it looked somewhat dry beforehand.

If no permanent re-dye and refinish of the wear spots took place but rather had a good clean and some hide food then it’s likely to have revived it and done it some good. The wear through the original finish will still be present and will become apparent again over time as the treatment dries and wears.

ZuZu

I think this is one of the very early 55j14s with the generic label- there are Fosters with the same label. No maker name. I have a brand new one. I'm kinda with the don't fuck with it crowd- I always worry about rubbing oil into cracking leather. Either way it's cool.

Here's my mint one:

s-l1600 (45).jpg

bseal

Nice work Burt!!!!

Most of us just might, if we were offered the chance, gladly turn back the clock a wee bit on our own wrinkles and assorted aches n’ pains.

Ponce de Leon has found the fountain of youth in Florida; URAD & Tenderly?

YoungMedic must be stoked.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I agree it looked like it needed something doing. If all it’s had is a clean and some leather treatment, I think that’s fine, and the wear will show through again. These days I find that although I think the worn look is cool, I don’t tend to want mine to look like that.

flyincowboy

Sorry guys but i d rather go for the before treatment . To me the jacket had a normal wear and a nice patina It's not a new one that been pampered.
The leather just need to have a good cleaning and to be nourrished with some Sapo or Pecard cream that's all!

Last edited:

Ritchy

Very nice job Burt. We all ask ourselves this question at one time or another.
It depends on each person and what they will use the jacket for.
For my part, I like to preserve beautiful things and bring them back to life when they deteriorate.
This is what I did with my Jeep Willys which I completely restored to give it a second life.

Falcon_52

Honestly, I don't think there is a right answer. Either approach is okay in my mind. That being said, I like the way it turned out and the leather is probably grateful for some "hydration" - it looked pretty dry in the original photos. Well done!

Noel