• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SM Wholesale vs. WWII Impressions

Wedge417

I dig the tan color of the jacket, and the fact that it’s made in Los Angeles, my hometown.
Did you get that SMW jacket in the end? Care to put some picture I’m also considering getting a tanker jacket soon and I’m also at the cross road of choices.
ATF is very attractive price wise and I’ve only heard good things about them. But I’m not a fan of the change they made replacing the wool lining with whatever synthetic material.
SMW and WWimp look the same to me. I’ve no idea which is better, but considering wwimp never has stock I’m more inclined to get SMW.
Last option is real mccoys or buzz ricksons which are very expensive and sizing might also be a problem as I think Japanese brands run small.

Really don’t know what to pick!!??

Chandler

The problem with ATF is the lining being pile instead of wool. That’s the big down for me!
ATF sells both (whenever their suppliers catch up) wool-lined and fleece-lined -- the fleece being a considerable discount, and it honestly looks identical to the wool.

I've been wearing one for a few years and love it. Grabbed a backup when there was a sale.

@Micawber

CBI

can't go wrong with ATF. the fleece option is terrific and the way to go, much more practical and looks identical externally. yes, they do wash well which adds some break in so they can really look authentic. WW2 Impressions jackets are really short waisted and the color is a lighter tan. for me ATF - hands down.

Wedge417

ATFs are import if I'm not mistaken while SM and WWimp are US made, whatever that means. The fabric is probably either way coming from china and the jackets are assembled in the US. The ATF though is entirely built in china I guess. So why ATF over Bob Dong or BRONSON? I'm glad the fleece is out there for those who want fleece but I'm looking for the most period accurate so it'll have to be wool.
That being said between SM and WWimp what's the difference ? how do they compare?

Chandler

...but I'm looking for the most period accurate so it'll have to be wool.
Well, the color of the SMW's shell isn't exactly accurate, so there's gonna be give & take.

As to why not Dong or Bronson, shipping & accuracy (so to speak) would be my factor. IIRC the Bronson only comes pre-patched a la Fury*, but maybe that's changed.

ATF has mentioned they should be restocking their wool-lined tanker soon, maybe get on their email news list for updates. I think you'd be happy with their product.

*And Taxi Driver.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

I have never bought anything from ww2 impressions or SM only ATF, I have bob dong, bronson and BR tankers.
The bronson lining is 60% wool, 40% viscose and if you can live with the talon brass zip and you can only get the 1st model with patches, probably not want you want though. Yes the BR has the correct zip and knits and is a better jacket but not by enough for me to justify the huge difference in the price, I would rather be spending that money on leather jackets and at least with Bronson you can see all the measurements.
For the prices the others are charging I would be buying a new BR from HPA, they are in NJ for $425 and that would a have a much greater resale value if you ever wanted to sell it, probably at least as much you would have paid for the others new if still in good conditon, something to think about but again you might not be able to afford paying that price.
HPA has all the measurements for the jacket.

Bronson is $190 with free shipping and 5% off first order.

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Have a M41 from WW2impressions and a LW channel jacket from SM Wholesale. The M41 is imho the best repro of this jacket you can get, cut and materials are outstanding.
The LW jacket from the competitor is also pretty good. There are review threads from both jackets somewhere here...

MauldinFan

What got me is that SM Wholesale and WWII Impressions both claim to have supplied the jackets for “Fury”
Maybe they did. I know Fury's production got stuff from all over the world. A friend of mine out of CA (who was also producer on the "Mail Call" series for History Channel a while back made all the ammo crates and a lot of the ammo-related stuff other than small arms.
But as for SM and WW2IMP, SM really likes working on movie projects but it's possible that they needed more stuff than SM could make on time.
But the thing is there are several other companies who claim they made tanker stuff for that movie.

Wedge417

Maybe they did. I know Fury's production got stuff from all over the world. A friend of mine out of CA (who was also producer on the "Mail Call" series for History Channel a while back made all the ammo crates and a lot of the ammo-related stuff other than small arms.
But as for SM and WW2IMP, SM really likes working on movie projects but it's possible that they needed more stuff than SM could make on time.
But the thing is there are several other companies who claim they made tanker stuff for that movie.
Both SM and WWipm claim they did the B. Pitt Jacket. WWimp even has a little spiel about the prop team of Fury explicitly mentioning wwimp's jacket as the best of 'em all while SM sells an "official B.P jacket for a hefty amount.
See their websites, I don't know if that's true or pure bravado.
ATF at least doesn't claim anything.
Owen @Kammoman apparently is the prop master who fixed the Pitt Jackets. I bet he would know if the jackets he worked on were from this or that seller.

Who has the Fury title and makes the "BEST" is all to confusing considering each claim it to be them. I will try to grab a BR or MC when I'm in Japan for sure.

For the time being:
ATF has mentioned they should be restocking their wool-lined tanker soon, maybe get on their email news list for updates. I think you'd be happy with their product.
Yes! Thank you for the heads up about the ATF wool. I've contacted them and indeed they'll receive some in near future so I'll make sure to grab one of theirs!!

Chandler

FWIW -- to all looking for a tanker, ATF just sent out an email saying their fully wool-lined Winter Combat Jackets are back in stock.

Be sure to read the full description as there's a bit of an anachronistic caveat in the construction.

Also, Rollin says these are a little less green (olive) in color from the last batch, so khaki purists will be happy. :D

Also be aware that the wool lining is considerably more expensive than fleece, so the jacket price is much higher than the "non traditional."

Almost forgot, they also made first pattern jackets again. He says new pics will be on the website soon.