• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your US(A)AF Eye Candy

Lorenzo_l

In the spirit of "jackets that have appeared elsewhere, but might be worth seeing again," here's my AN-J-3. It's all original, except for the cuffs, which some idiot decided to remove, and which Dave Sheeley replaced with his usual flawless craftsmanship.

View attachment 54589
View attachment 54590
View attachment 54593
View attachment 54595
View attachment 54597
View attachment 54600
View attachment 54604
View attachment 54605
That is one heck of a nice and rare jacket, Jan. Great find.

mulceber

Thanks guys! I was researching the details of the AN-J-3 out of curiosity, and I just happened to stumble on this one on eBay. I’m very lucky that when Sheeley looked it over, he didn’t find anything wrong but the cuffs.

Chandler

So school me, were there variations on the AN-J-3 that had the A-2 style wind flap, and others that followed the M-422?

Even though I have a cheap "faux" AN, I really don't know much about this interim jacket.

mulceber

Yeah, the AN-J-3 was meant to be a jacket that would replace all Army and Navy flight jackets. The companies making it weren't really given a pattern, or even a detailed set of directions, they were just told to make jackets like they'd made before, but with changes to accommodate the demands of the Army and Navy.

Since Willis & Geiger (the likely maker of this jacket) had made Navy jackets in the past, but not AAF jackets, they basically took their M-422(A) design and made the changes that would let it meet the army's specification - leather collar, epaulets. I guess their version also involved an exterior storm flap. Every army version of this jacket that I've seen (4 of them) has also had the storm flap. Anyone who made the AN-J-3A, the Navy's version of this jacket had an interior wind flap instead. I guess it's possible some manufacturers made an Army version with the wind flap too, but I haven't seen any pictures of one.

At the end of the day though, the AAF decided to go with cloth jackets to save money (and possibly rivalry with the Navy - didn't want their pilots wearing basically the same thing as Navy pilots) and the B-10 was the result.

Chandler

Isn't the AN-J-3a fitted with the mouton collar? I thought that's where the A came from?

My vintage Navy jacket appears to be an AN-J-3a and is near to identical to an M-422a, probably because of the reasons you state about companies just continuing with what they'd been making.

Be interesting to see a good history on how the whole AN concept came to be -- and then tanked.

mulceber

Nah, the AN stands for Army Navy. I think the J is "joint" but I'm not sure. But yes, the AN-J-3A has a mouton collar. The idea was to have a common design (or similar enough design) that when the jackets were being made, they could be made into Army jackets or Navy jackets at a relatively late point in the construction process. At least, that's my understanding. What killed the whole project was probably some combination of the following:
  • incompatibility of design requirements (the Army and Navy didn't want to compromise)
  • cost of production - the army had more fliers than the Navy, and was looking to cut costs. Having a joint design cut costs to some extent, but not enough to make it worth it. Fabric was just a better alternative.
  • rivalry between the branches - AAF didn't want to be wearing the same jackets as the Navy. Not enough to torpedo the AN-J-3 on its own, but when combined with the other two?

B-Man2

Another vintage A2 jacket for you guys to check out. Posted before, but for some of you newer guys , here’s an original United Sheeplined A2 .It’s a size 46 which can be tough to find these days. This one is in very good and wearable condition .
7A76EFF9-4428-468A-9181-CF5A7DB80A31.jpeg
9E06D06C-A6C5-4F37-82E0-3110AF52BAC8.jpeg
361F98CD-36F3-417B-8308-5F934187F801.jpeg
18280D81-ABC7-4004-AFAB-6CEC6277BEC3.jpeg
FD58CE95-4DAC-42C7-B93A-F12DF2772308.jpeg
E1C72DAB-0390-4F1A-8D66-FB99E7920241.jpeg
F829050D-75A4-4D9D-9CC3-067844C8D73C.jpeg
22AE64DF-1375-4202-BBC1-B1607712F301.jpeg
61618CF5-F883-411F-AB44-F1E209EDE9A0.jpeg
67FF26A5-4DD7-4A52-A004-CDC0DD46058F.jpeg

B-Man2

This is one that sits in a display case at the Wright Patterson AFB National Museum. What makes this jacket interesting is that you immediately see two things . One, that it’s a private purchase jacket as you can see from the two piece seamed back , and two, that’s it’s a Korean War vintage jacket . Since A2 jackets were no longer available for issue by the time of the Korean War , that obviously accounts for why the owner either had one made for himself in Korea, or purchased one on the retail market .
B9034993-6B9D-4E55-A835-36F8781C27B4.jpeg
BA1A94FC-6ED3-4C7F-9361-83BACE8D825C.jpeg

Chandler

This is one that sits in a display case at the Wright Patterson AFB National Museum. What makes this jacket interesting is that you immediately see two things . One, that it’s a private purchase jacket as you can see from the two piece seamed back , and two, that’s it’s a Korean War vintage jacket . Since A2 jackets were no longer available for issue by the time of the Korean War , that obviously accounts for why the owner either had one made for himself in Korea, or purchased one on the retail market .
View attachment 54719View attachment 54721
Too bad you can't see the label.

Chandler

Another vintage A2 jacket for you guys to check out. Posted before, but for some of you newer guys , here’s an original United Sheeplined A2 .It’s a size 46 which can be tough to find these days. This one is in very good and wearable condition .
View attachment 54712View attachment 54711View attachment 54710View attachment 54709View attachment 54713View attachment 54714View attachment 54715View attachment 54716View attachment 54717View attachment 54718
SOLD! Oh, wait -- lemme check with the wife... ;)

mulceber

View attachment 54712View attachment 54711View attachment 54710View attachment 54709View attachment 54713View attachment 54714View attachment 54715View attachment 54716View attachment 54717View attachment 54718

Burt, I’ve seen a lot of that jacket (having written the United Sheeplined thread with you), and I’m always happy to see it again. It’s a beauty!

B-Man2

Burt, I’ve seen a lot of that jacket (having written the United Sheeplined thread with you), and I’m always happy to see it again. It’s a beauty!
Thanks for the kind words Jan . Your original is pretty damn nice in its own right . So I hope you’ll put yours up here as well .

mulceber

No worries - I still have one I’m holding back for after a few others have shared. I’m hoping some of the other older members here who have awesome collections will share some of the stunners they’ve got.

B-Man2

That’s true ... but I have to admit that they’ve gotten a lot harder to find then they were a few years ago . I’m guessing the bigger ones are at a premium and once someone buys one , after they’ve been searching for a while, they’re not in a rush to let it go anytime soon. .