• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your US(A)AF Eye Candy

mulceber

Another great thread idea @mulceber! I can contribute the ‘V’ but sadly not the ‘L’, as I collect late WW2-Korean War era flight gear at the moment.

Believe it or not, I was thinking of your B-series jackets when I made the thread. Excellent jackets.

it should be noted that in fact some original star a-2s were lighter in color then the more common dark russet-seal. I have one in the lighter color like Burt's.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across, but I guess it didn't come across. Care to show us some pics of your Star? :)

Chandler

Here’s one that I don’t own but it belongs to a friend of mine who’s father was actually part of the original group of American Volunteers who went over to China in 1940 to fly with Chennault. There are a few original jackets from the 14th Air Force which took over command of the original AVG after the war started , but this is one of the few originals from the AVG existing today . You’ll notice the John Wanamakers label sewn into the jacket . Wanamakers was a department store in Philadelphia at the time . My friends father had his mother send him the label and he replaced the military label with the Wanamaker label and was able to bluff the supply clerk into believing that the jacket was a private purchase jacket that he had brought with him to China . As a result he got to keep the jacket and bring it home .I should add that his father was a part of the air and ground crew not a pilot .
View attachment 54276View attachment 54277View attachment 54278View attachment 54279View attachment 54280View attachment 54281View attachment 54282View attachment 54283
Too cool. I always wondered what late 30s or early 40s contract an AAC volunteer might have carried to China. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Or was this issued after the Tigers were absorbed into the AAF?

Can't tell if it has a collar stand.

MaydayWei

Another great thread idea @mulceber! I can contribute the ‘V’ but sadly not the ‘L’, as I collect late WW2-Korean War era flight gear at the moment.

In no particular order, here is a feast of nylon jackets I own, all dating from the late 40s & early 50s, that were staples of the early years of the US Air Force. Some you’ve seen before, some you haven’t:

Werber Sportswear B-15A

View attachment 54256

Reed Products Inc N-3 (technically a flight jacket, but mostly worn by ground crews)

View attachment 54257

Fruhauf S.W. Garment Co N-3A, with some matching mitts (again, technically a flight jacket but favoured by ground crews)

View attachment 54258

C.H. Masland & Sons N-2A (very definitely a flight jacket and worn by pilots & bomber crews during the Korean War)

View attachment 54259

Albert Turner N-3B (one of the last truly ‘flight jacket’ versions of the N-3B as it still retains the oxygen mask tab on the chest

View attachment 54260

Lion Uniform Company B-15D

View attachment 54261

Rolen Sportswear B-15D ‘mod’

View attachment 54262

Skyline Clothing Corporation L-2B (this is the 7448C series and the dates from the late 50s, before the introduction of orange liners on the D series)

View attachment 54263

Here’s a pair of early MA-1s, the one on the left being a 1958 Albert Turner jacket and the one on the right a 1960 Excel Garment Mfg Co version. Both are from the 8279B series of MA-1s, which feature a green liner that was switched to orange from the C series onwards.

View attachment 54272

Stunning collection of Nylons. Too michelin-man for my body type but I do love seeing these rare birds.
Thanks for sharing! :)

917_k

I can’t wait to get this to show you guys:

00277744-7EF2-4507-AB0D-07E882B1A342.png

Yes, it’s the holy grail of B-15s: a B-15B, currently sat in a shipping warehouse in the States waiting to make its way across the pond.

Dany McDonald

Yes, it’s the holy grail of B-15s: a B-15B, currently sat in a shipping warehouse in the States waiting to make its way across the pond.

Oh yeah, looks like The Gardner Corporation with its unique Prentice zips. Love the Nylon contrast between liner and exterior! And it looks in superb shape...

Fit pix....!

D

917_k

Oh yeah, looks like The Gardner Corporation with its unique Prentice zips. Love the Nylon contrast between liner and exterior! And it looks in superb shape...

Fit pix....!

D

That’s the one. Can’t beat these early olive drab nylon flight jackets and this is by far my favourite. I’m like a kid before Christmas now though, counting down the days before it arrives.

917_k

It looks like its in incredible condition.
And I thought B-15Cs in good nick were rare. Congratulations!
Did you ask the seller to take a pic for us? Hahahaha

It’s in exceptionally good condition. Unfortunately the only photos are have are some grainy pics from the seller. I’ve also got a mint B-15C coming in size 38 and a slightly worn B-15C in size 40, both sat in the warehouse as well. Yes, I’m a bit obsessed with B-15s.