• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Good Wear Leather and JC some love.

Lorenzo_l

Hello all. I've been away from the forum for some time (blame it on work), but here I am again. I just received this Goodwear Doniger. A beauty. I'll post a more detailed review at some point later.

PXL_20230924_155519922_2.jpg

Last edited:

Nickb123

Thanks Stu. As said above, John is an international treasure.

My story is funny. When I started into these jackets around 2012 or so I thought I’d never own a GW. Had no intention of waiting and that left me with resorting to standard lengths, which I thought no way since I was 6’2”. Then John comes along and shows some tests he was offering for sale. Tried one and whad’ya know, fit brilliantly. That morphed my naive sentiment from believing I needed 27” everywhere to just going w standard sizes. Though I know now most of John’s tests come out w a lengths seemingly a little longer.

The last 10 or so jackets were purchased without even seeing measurements! Life is funny; believe me I was moping for years not believing I’d find anything that fit. I have a great collection now but I’ve been severely burned 2-3 times so it isn’t all roses. But that’s the risk we take I suppose. I do plan on downsizing if I can find a way to cease upsizing.

And if a jacket comes out too short, whatever, Jimmy Stewart edition lol. The best thing I’ve done is generally stopping worrying about acquiring the perfect fit. If it happens great. I don’t mean to be critical but IMO a perfectly fitting jacket (civilians more so) end up looking like shit to my eyes and veer on fashion. The impression is that of trying too hard rather than the nonchalant spirit these jackets are meant to possess. So big and loose for me. That’s what she said.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I always have a good laugh whenever the subject of “ The Perfect Fit” pops up. Been around here since 2009 and this subject comes up about once a month . Everyone seems to have their own conception of what the perfect fit is ….. what I’ve always thought was that, the perfect fit depended on what you wore under the jacket. So the fit changed between wearing it in the winter and the summer. By the way the next time you see a photo of a guy wearing the perfect fit A2, check the photo … if he wearing it in the winter, see what he has on under the jacket and ask yourself if it would still be a perfect fit in the summer without all of the clothes he’s wearing in the winter photo. If it’s the perfect fit in the summer …… same holds true in reverse.

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

I always have a good laugh whenever the subject of “ The Perfect Fit” pops up. Been around here since 2009 and this subject comes up about once a month . Everyone seems to have their own conception of what the perfect fit is ….. what I’ve always thought was that, the perfect fit depended on what you wore under the jacket. So the fit changed between wearing it in the winter and the summer. By the way the next time you see a photo of a guy wearing the perfect fit A2, check the photo … if he wearing it in the winter, see what he has on under the jacket and ask yourself if it would still be a perfect fit in the summer without all of the clothes he’s wearing in the winter photo. If it’s the perfect fit in the summer …… same holds true in reverse.
Just look at period photos Burt, rings very true, we all seek the perfect fit, but when given your ' work wear ' in ww2 despite the quartmaster trying to size up, didn't always happen, so from a period point of view are we all being picky? Haha