• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you put acrylic on flaking sheepskin?

Spitfireace

Yes, eBay has random shipping. Some things are sent by their courier like the zipper, and some things are sent by regular post like a jacket I just got by Canada Post. No rhyme or reason. A zipper is so small it could be put in my apartment mail slot by the Post, but no eBay has to use their own courier. I've been looking for this zipper for years now, otherwise I would not spend that much money. Zippers like that rarely come up for sale.

Spitfireace

1678051750466.png

A2 B3au

EBay shipping malarkey.. how or why are gloves size small & large £7 to post yet size medium are £29…..gloves are only £26.99 … all the same seller…. I’ve seen several examples of this tactic and it deters me

Spitfireace

I've had great results lightly rubbing a little Pecards into the flaking areas of my original Irvins as well as my old Eastman Irvin. The skins soaked it up and the flaking disappeared. Just my experience.
It has been treated with a lanolin based paste. There is only one area that was actually flaking so far. That was on one cuff which I treated with a light as possible bit of acrylic spray. Has stopped the flaking, and sealed it. I would hesitate to that on any other areas though especially painting it on or anything like that as it would be too thick and therefore it would crack. Which is the last thing you would want.
20230305_134030.jpg

Spitfireace

All I was after on the zip was the slider. Aero Leather Scotland put one of their proprietary zips on it when I sent it for a bit of restoration. This is because original zips are not available generally when you need them. Unfortunately their zips looks only vaguely like an original same kind of thing with Eastman I guess.
20230305_133728.jpg

Chris 55

All I was after on the zip was the slider. Aero Leather Scotland put one of their proprietary zips on it when I sent it for a bit of restoration. This is because original zips are not available generally when you need them. Unfortunately their zips looks only vaguely like an original same kind of thing with Eastman I guess. View attachment 99671

Is the slider broken?
I may be able to help you out depends on what type your after.

Silver Surfer

wanna go nutz, do ya, do ya? get some Aileens leather glue and a box of tooth picks, and put a dab on the end of the flat side, and slide it under any flaking pieces. press down and repeat where needed. while the gluing is drying, mix up some acrylic paints to match specific areas and apply with a small water pointed water color brush. repeat as needed. lotsa nig-nog tedious work, but the results may be worth the effort. when all done, than ya might consider a rub down with vaseline. I use the stuff, as does Chappy. best of luck, and finished pix, please.

Spitfireace

Thanks for the idea. Yes, I'm considering doing a little touch up in that area. As I mentioned it seems pretty much sealed now with the acrylic to prevent further flaking. Just need to clean it up where the finish flaked off. That's really the only area on the jacket like that so far knock on wood.

Spitfireace

So you have one?
Or need one
I have original as well
Thanks... as above I just got one on eBay. At a high price, one hundred fifty dollars Canadian total for the entire zip. One thing about buying the slider on a complete zip is that you know for sure it works and is not worn out. One time I bought a Talon slider on eBay and it didn't last long as it was worn out, but you don't know unless it's on a working zip. I did post a wanted ad years ago on here. Which of course got lost in the pile somewhere.

Spitfireace

EBay shipping malarkey.. how or why are gloves size small & large £7 to post yet size medium are £29…..gloves are only £26.99 … all the same seller…. I’ve seen several examples of this tactic and it deters me
Ya, shipping costs are all over the place.

Spitfireace

Overall a good jacket that I'm happy with. Hard to find one in this kind of condition. Albeit a small size. Probably one size too small for me if I were in service wearing battledress uniform. As it is it's perfect with a normal shirt on under it.
20230305_133801.jpg