• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you put acrylic on flaking sheepskin?

Spitfireace

Some of my original Irvin is flaking a bit. I put some acrylic paint on it. It does stabilize the flaking. Good or not good?

Spitfireace

20190209_105901.jpg

Spitfireace

It's Devon fleece somewhat. If you can see on the right upper chest/shoulder may be getting a bit flaky.

Micawber

Assesment can only be made with the piece in hand but I would leave as is. Irvin's are not like B-3s and can flake and still be solid. Caution is the way, it's lasted years as is and is not a daily wearer so big changes are probably not required. Try a clean then a small test patch with something like Resolene in an unseen area and see how it reacts and holds up. Take a look at some of the conservation supplies sites too.

Spitfireace

I know don't move too fast. It's not a daily wearer. Mostly in the drawer with a suit bag. Just found an original AM puller that I been looking for. The jacket was somewhat restored by Aero Leather Scotland. So the main zip is not original. I just found a comparable zip on UK e-Bay. So I will take the puller and use it on the repro zip. Should work.

Spitfireace

Assesment can only be made with the piece in hand but I would leave as is. Irvin's are not like B-3s and can flake and still be solid. Caution is the way, it's lasted years as is and is not a daily wearer so big changes are probably not required. Try a clean then a small test patch with something like Resolene in an unseen area and see how it reacts and holds up. Take a look at some of the conservation supplies sites too.
Resolene?

Spitfireace

Supplies? I usually steer away from overtreatment. If a jacket can be tossed in the bath or a bucket to clean I will do that. Any leather I can apply either lanolin to sheepskin or vaseline to the A-2 or G-1.

Micawber

Resolene by Fiebings the dye people is an acrylic sealant.
I can dig out links later but you are better off sourcing conservation product suppliers in your home market as international shipping costs are horrendous these days.

Micawber

Supplies? I usually steer away from overtreatment. If a jacket can be tossed in the bath or a bucket to clean I will do that. Any leather I can apply either lanolin to sheepskin or vaseline to the A-2 or G-1.

In that case leave it as is and just handle / wear it with care.

Spitfireace

Resolene by Fiebings the dye people is an acrylic sealant.
I can dig out links later but you are better off sourcing conservation product suppliers in your home market as international shipping costs are horrendous these days.
I just bought a fifty pound Irvin AM zip it is now a 150 dollar canadian thing. Thirty dollars shipping plus some kind of import fee. Ten pounds what a load of bollocks.