• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling/ buying consitution

Tim P

I wonder if a selling and buying code of conduct here would be a good thing. It has been suggested and so here is my take on the rules which of course cannot be legally enforced but could be a basis for offering items here as a sticky thread. People wishing to exercise their right not to use it can of course take advantage of the numerous auction or vintage clothing interest sites available. please consider the content of this and add your comments in order that a sellers sticky can be added by moderators

1 Exclusive offers. Prospective sellers may advertise here prior to selling on ebay (OTHER AUCTION SITES ARE AVAILABLE) stipulating that if the asking price for their item is not met here after a specified time that the item will go to auction. Whilst it is not best practice to advertise ones own auctions on here this is permissible especially if a price lower than the ebay buy it now is offered to forum members.

2 International sales. As this forum is used by people from all parts of the globe it seems appropriate to offer items on a level playing field to all. Many other forums offer the option to sell items in one specified country only and auction sites such as ebay can make that option. The buyer and seller will agree on postage rates and methods of payment and whether insurance is desireable or not.

3 First dibs. announcing on the thread that dialogue has been entered into via private message should cause other prospective buyers to hold off or register an interest and then if for whatever reason buyers decide the item is not for them then the item is offered to those lower on the thread. it is not permissible here to 'bid' beyond the asking price unless the seller stipulates a price 'or best offer'. Again, auction sites are the best place to sell an item you want people to bid for.

4 Realistic payment options
By posting an item here, in an online environment, you undertake to offer it for 'online' payment methods in addition to any others.

5 Feedback. Honest and balanced feedback, good or bad for transactions can be offered but bear in mind that anything libellous posted may have consequences. this can be for both buyers and sellers but please try to resolve issues amicably beforehand.

6 Exceptions
. It is a sad fact that some countries are not ideal places to ship to and the seller can reserve the right to offer conditional sales to those countries such as an escrow service or additional insurance or a signed for option. This is the responsibility of the seller to mandate.

7 Friendly selling friendly buying. this principle should underpin any buyinhg or selling activity here.

Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to put all this down Tim. I think it's essential that we have a sticky with the rules for buying and selling. I know we've debated this before but it's a problem that continually arises.

Wrt first dibs, I've tried both announcing pm sent and doing stealth mode and not announcing and neither have been successful, however I believe the first is the only fair way. I'm a strong believer in forming orderly queues :)

John Lever

I think most of us do this already but a written code may help newcomers.
The flip side of this though is that some people seem to join us just to be able to sell stuff with no ebay fees.

Roughwear

I agree with John. A code of conduct is a sensible idea and might avoid some of the problems mentioned in the buy/sell section. To avoid people joining just to sell their stuff rather than sharing their knowledge perhaps they would have to post in other areas 20x first before being able to sell. I'm not sure if this is feasible though.

Monsoon

Roughwear said:
I agree with John. A code of conduct is a sensible idea and might avoid some of the problems mentioned in the buy/sell section. To avoid people joining just to sell their stuff rather than sharing their knowledge perhaps they would have to post in other areas 20x first before being able to sell. I'm not sure if this is feasible though.

I belong to a military forum where you need 50 productive posts before you can use the "High-end swap meet", as they like to call it. If they find out you're just posting BS to get to 50, the ban-hammer will strike you down with a quickness.

RCSignals

I like the idea of the basic statement of expectations for selling and buying. I'm not sure more is needed.

I know some forums have the X number of posts rule, and some are very strict as illustrated by Monsoon, but does this forum need such a heavy handed 'big brother' approach?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
I know some forums have the X number of posts rule, and some are very strict as illustrated by Monsoon, but does this forum need such a heavy handed 'big brother' approach?

No .... buying, and selling is just common sense. Most members here don't seem to have a problem with it, and for the ones that do, any number of rules won't make a difference.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
.... oh yeah, and Bill's got better things to do than act as an arbitrator in buying disputes.

Tim P

I cant help but agree that basic goodwill, coupled with friendly prices has been the watchword for long enough without issue.
I drafted the constitution in response to some grumblings but that may have been a flash in the pan. basic VLJmanship should render it unneccesary.

My take on it is, you are getting to sell something you dont want or need, be it too big, too russet, to sm0oth or you are flat broke

or you are getting to buy something you have been looking for for a while

FREE.

the least we can all do is meet half way. the a holes don't stick around on here long so by and large we all play nicely without the need for big brother

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
the least we can all do is meet half way. the a holes don't stick around on here long so by and large we all play nicely without the need for big brother

Well said, Tim ... it's not like any of us wear hats. :p

John Lever

Have a look in the Buy/Sell section, there are posts from new members who have never posted in any other section. They are obviously using our site as an alternative to ebay.
I have recently followed items that have sold on ebay and have now appeared on VLJ.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Have a look in the Buy/Sell section, there are posts from new members who have never posted in any other section. They are obviously using our site as an alternative to ebay.
I have recently followed items that have sold on ebay and have now appeared on VLJ.

John, this is always the case with on line forums where there is no restriction on posting in other sections before you can sell. On the one hand if they sell they are certainly avoiding Ebay fees, but I guess members here have the opportunity to buy an item which might be cheaper than on Ebay. However this forum is about a love of vintage jackets where people share information and simply to use it to sell jackets and never post or share information in the other sections of the forum is perhaps against the spirit of VLJ. Others may disagree.

siddhartha

Administrator
We've been good at self-policing sales here, and in no way, shape or form should I, Bill, or any of the other mods have to mediate disputes in sales. The Sales forum here is a convenience for members, and we can't legally enforce any transaction through it-we're not eBay-and it opens a can of worms should we have to step in.

I think a set of rules for newbies is fine, and we can talk about adding rules as a sticky. We've also discussed in the past about a 50-post requirement to access sales, but some posters are simply not that prolific, and there are some people who join because they want to find a value for what they have, and may in turn sell it, or contribute in a productive way in the other forums. It's not cut and dried, unfortunately.

Happy to hear suggestions, as always!

CBI

Yes, let's not beat this over the head. Typically, "sellers rules" come up when someone who THINKS they should have gotten an item doesn't get it. Sellers should be able to sell to whomever they want to with any restrictions as long as they state it on the front end. First come is fine provided the communication is good both ways and the buyer doesn't say, "OK, I will buy it, can I pay $100 over the next 6 months?" YES, this has happened to me. Many initial inquires are not followed up. I can see people sending "stalling" emails asking a gazillion questions while others are ready to buy. Selling on VLJ is not perfect and actually my track record as a satisfied buyer/seller has been better on eBay (I have purchased some GREAT things on this site). Lets keep it simple. Besides no fees, many want to sell/buy here as its less hassle than eBay, etc. I can see no serious problems here thus far except a few bruised egos.

CBI

Tim P - I am not suggesting YOU are "whining" - just some observations from the past. :shock:

MikeyB-17

I'm a member of a bass guitar forum which is pretty big and very active, and has a thriving buy/sell section. I've bought a considerable amount of stuff there and sold a fair bit too, always very pleasantly and with no hassles. The same debate comes up there on a regular basis, i.e. how dare people come on here just to sell their stuff and not contribute to the forum? My attitude and that of the majority of the members is let 'em come, let 'em sell their stuff if they want, hopefully they'll realise this is a decent place to be, stick around and become members of the community. If they don't, well, somebody might get a chance at a bit of kit they might not have got. If they don't stick around, well, what harm has it done? Ok, so Caveat Emptor, it's up to individuals whether they trust the person, but I think most of the time it works out OK, and on the odd occasion when it hasn't, making it known on the forum has had a beneficial effect as the forum rallies to help out the wronged member. One rule they do have which I agree with is that an item for sale must have a stated price, no 'open to offers' or similar.

Monsoon

CBI said:
Besides no fees, many want to sell/buy here as its less hassle than eBay, etc.

That's what I like about this and other forums. Selling items is a lot more hassle free, I think. I've never bought/sold anything on eBay and would rather not. No idea if my CWU could have sold on eBay, but I'd rather sell it here where it would be appreciated more.