• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selecting an A-2 for body shape

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Guys,

We all know that all the originals were designed for the average 20 year old in a relatively slender shape.

Other than drastic weight loss, which A-2 repro would best fit us older portly gents?

And yes, I know JC from Good Wear could probably make any contract work but have any of you burly types have any suggestions based on experience?

Thanks,

Bill French

Chandler

I think you're going to get a flood of Flight Suits suggestions here, but don't you already have a couple of them?

Chandler

bfrench

Administrator
Chandler said:
I think you're going to get a flood of Flight Suits suggestions here, but don't you already have a couple of them?

Chandler

Yep, four of them - time for a change.

Bill

Dr H

Hi Bill, forgive the personal question but what girth equates to 'portly'?

I'm in my mid-40s, 5'8" in height and struggle to get below a 36" waist these days (sedentary lifestyle behind a desk). I find that the cut of the Doniger (42") is very forgiving without being at all blousy (whereas my Perry - also 42" - is a little less so).

Good luck

Ian

better duck

Hey Bill, why not rise to the challenge a bodyfitting Goodwear Dubow in your (original) size offers and get back into the oldfashioned shape again. You'll harvest admiration from everyone and get (even) healthier at the same time!.... :)

bfrench

Administrator
better duck said:
Hey Bill, why not rise to the challenge a bodyfitting Goodwear Dubow in your (original) size offers and get back into the oldfashioned shape again. You'll harvest admiration from everyone and get (even) healthier at the same time!.... :)

Hi, Peter,

I'm in the line up at JC's - don't know where.

I'm also doing the challenge thing to reduce but with both knees replaced this year, - second one 2 Jun - things are moving very slowly.

But the good thing is I've already started riding my stationary bike every day and have included 2 minutes on the tread climber also - have to be very careful as to how heavy I load the bike and stair climber - very frustrating.

As to the portly size waist - I'm at 5'10" and 40" waist a far cry from my 34" waist of 10 years ago.

I'm probably going to wind up with one of JC's Perry's or Dubows with 20" shoulders and a 24" waist - a real general's fit.

Cheers,

Bill

watchmanjimg

According to statistics I've read, the average WW2 inductee was 5'8" tall and 144 lbs. with a 33 1/4" chest and 31" waist--a difference of 2 1/4". During my years in retail clothing sales I saw more than a few portly suits (and gentlemen). Whereas a typical suit generally comes with a "drop" (difference between chest and waist measurements) of six inches, a portly suit has a 2" drop. Based on the foregoing, WW2 A-2s should fit a modern man just fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there's no doubt the secret to a comfortable A-2 fit is the cut and by no means are they all created equal. I'm confident that several of JC's offerings would be fine for Bill or anyone else needing a bit more room. I have my sights on JC's Bronco and Dubow in the new horsehide, and in the meantime I remain thrilled with my Few Bronco with its square shoulders.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
According to statistics I've read, the average WW2 inductee was 5'8" tall and 144 lbs. with a 33 1/4" chest and 31" waist

What was the average age?

So - 49, 5'11", 183, 44 chest and 34 waist -- I'm not gonna pass, huh? ;)

Chandler

watchmanjimg

Chandler, I've always read that the average age of the American soldier in WW2 was 26. Regarding your dimensions, I'd say a legitimate 44/34 is pretty respectable--especially at 49.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
I'd say a legitimate 44/34 is pretty respectable--especially at 49.

Thanks, and not easy work! :|
I envy those who don't have to worry over their waistlines.

Chandler

captaincaveman1

Chandler said:
watchmanjimg said:

Chandler
I do a total of 100 minutes of cardio each week and lift 3-4 times - all this just to MAINTAIN. Forget about actually losing weight. LOL. It ain't easy. Getting old sucks.

bfrench

Administrator
captaincaveman1 said:
Chandler said:
watchmanjimg said:

Chandler
I do a total of 100 minutes of cardio each week and lift 3-4 times - all this just to MAINTAIN. Forget about actually losing weight. LOL. It ain't easy. Getting old sucks.

Hey, CapnC,

Welcome aboard.

Bill French

Tim P

Try on a bunch of eastman jackets, slip into a monarch a star or a cable and you say, Ahhh, thats better.

CBI

seeing as I have owned many of John's different contracts (and now more originals ................... a GW Aero (the 21996) might be a good option as its kind of big all over. Broncos and Dubows (the 27798) will give you more room in the belly. Perry's are pretty roomy also. I would avoid the Weber/Poughkeepsie as its a trim fit (cool looking jacket). The rounded Doniger shoulders can also add the look of a less athletic build on some. The RW 18091 is also a pretty roomy fit that's kind of a generic shape that would hide some unwanted pounds if that is an issue.

This is a sensitive subject. I am not heavyset at all but I decided to drop 20 lbs last year (which I did) because I wanted to AND I wanted to fit into my A-2's better. My collection was a motivating force in getting me to walk 2 miles every day.

Frankly, yes ..................... no matter how cool the A-2, the looks get compromised if the wearer is "big" by 1940's standards. Its history and how the jackets were worn. I find myself shaking my head a little when I see these heavy set living history folks who spend forever trying get the correct gear but with the extra weight, they would be better off working the pounds and getting cheaper gear. Hey, there is no disrespect here, I completely sympathize. Getting old(er)/less mobile sucks in many ways! Another issue is age. I would be a wing commander by WWII standards so the dashing aviator look is lost on me no matter my build.

I DO find that the right A-2 cut can make one look a little trimmer and certainly some 40's era repro pants with the high Hollywood waist can remove some pounds! :x

CBI

CBI said:
seeing as I have owned many of John's different contracts (and now more originals ................... a GW Aero (the 21996) might be a good option as its kind of big all over. Broncos and Dubows (the 27798) will give you more room in the belly. Perry's are pretty roomy also. I would avoid the Weber/Poughkeepsie as its a trim fit (cool looking jacket). The rounded Doniger shoulders can also add the look of a less athletic build on some. The RW 18091 is also a pretty roomy fit that's kind of a generic shape that would hide some unwanted pounds if that is an issue.

This is a sensitive subject. I am not heavyset at all but I decided to drop 20 lbs last year (which I did) because I wanted to AND I wanted to fit into my A-2's better. My collection was a motivating force in getting me to walk 2 miles every day.

Frankly, yes ..................... no matter how cool the A-2, the looks get compromised if the wearer is "big" by 1940's standards. Its history and how the jackets were worn. I find myself shaking my head a little when I see these heavy set living history folks who spend forever trying get the correct gear but with the extra weight, they would be better off working the pounds and getting cheaper gear for a more authentic look. However, I am well aware that its much easier to purchase an item(s) than loose pounds! . Hey, there is no disrespect here, I completely sympathize. Getting old(er)/less mobile sucks in many ways! Another issue is age. I would be a wing commander by WWII standards so the dashing aviator look is lost on me no matter my build.

I DO find that the right A-2 cut can make one look a little trimmer and certainly some 40's era repro pants with the high Hollywood waist can remove some pounds! Our low rider pants of today add weight to body in terms of looks - hate it :x

captaincaveman1

Well said... I've noticed that even a lesser jacket looks better on a wearer who is in somewhat good shape. Remember, these jackets were designed for rather fit depression-era 20-somethings. The A-2 and G-1 for that matter seem to accentuate the best and worse in us - maybe it's the knit waist and more blousy cut of some repros. Unlike, say a suit jacket, or a to a lesser extent, a trenchcoat they are NOT the most flattering on rounder builds.

Case in point... check out the Cockpit A-2 in this thread from FJ.
http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2059

CBI said:

Frankly, yes ..................... no matter how cool the A-2, the looks get compromised if the wearer is "big" by 1940's standards. Its history and how the jackets were worn. I find myself shaking my head a little when I see these heavy set living history folks who spend forever trying get the correct gear but with the extra weight, they would be better off working the pounds and getting cheaper gear. Hey, there is no disrespect here, I completely sympathize. Getting old(er)/less mobile sucks in many ways! Another issue is age. I would be a wing commander by WWII standards so the dashing aviator look is lost on me no matter my build.

I DO find that the right A-2 cut can make one look a little trimmer and certainly some 40's era repro pants with the high Hollywood waist can remove some pounds! :x

hillcpa

CBI (and anyone else with GW experience), which contracts would you recommend for someone with a more athletic build? Even at the ripe old age of 52, I have somehow managed hang on to a fairly athletic shape (42" chest, 34" waist). I don't have particularly broad shoulders, though, so even though I need some room in the chest, I don't want too much width in the epaulet area. I realize JC is the guy to talk to (and I will soon), but I thought I'd do a little homework first.

Any ideas? Thanks, guys.

hillcpa said:
CBI (and anyone else with GW experience), which contracts would you recommend for someone with a more athletic build? Even at the ripe old age of 52, I have somehow managed hang on to a fairly athletic shape (42" chest, 34" waist). I don't have particularly broad shoulders, though, so even though I need some room in the chest, I don't want too much width in the epaulet area. I realize JC is the guy to talk to (and I will soon), but I thought I'd do a little homework first.

Any ideas? Thanks, guys.

Hi,

It sounds like we have identical builds: 42" chest, 34" waist, and more barrel chested than broad chested.

When I talked to John, he steered me toward 3 contracts: the unnamed 27753, the Perry, and, surprisingly, the Dubow because of how the upper sleeve is configured. That being said, he now offers more contracts than when I was in the market.

Ultimately, as you have already concluded, John is the guy to talk to. He can tweak any of his maker-name A-2 contracts to fit you if you just have to have a certain contract. Judging from the posts on this forum, it seems quite a few of his jackets are, to some extent, customized.

Good luck with your purchase, and if you end up with a 27753 in the dull-pigment horsehide and the leather is just too gnarly and grainy for you, feel free to send me a PM. Maybe I can take it off your hands :)

stubbyeighth