• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"rough out" service shoes, quality repro?

Damien

Hi

I looking for a repro of M43 service shoes to wear everydays (not a bad reenactment quality). the Buzz rickson ones and MASH co ones looks to be the best quality but too expensive for me.

I have allready a pair from soldiers of fortune: after 1 month of wear the sole is used (soft plastic) and the internal of the shoes (in wood) is destructured.

What about the wwii impression ones? the sole quality is my priority.

thanks

dav3469

I had good luck with At The Front's offering. I wear them often for field use, to the range and the like. Quality is good. I put some insoles in them and the comfort level was improved. My only complaint is that there is a noticeable ridge where the tounge of the shoe and the rest of the shoe join up. It has taken awhile to stretch the boot in. But I think this is more a function of my foot shape. Someone with a "slimmer" foot in this area won't have a problem I think.

Persimmon

Damian,
I to was looking for a service shoe and thought the Buzz Rickson's were out of my price range .
Every review I read of the cheaper ones were not great.
I gave in and bought a pair of B.R.'s from Japan.
They arrived in a week and only charged me the day after I received them.
Expensive. YES
But they are so fantastic to wear.
I wear them every day they fit so well.
So comfy and look so cool.
For me save up would be my recommendation.
You'll end up buying one or two pairs of cheaper ones and never ever be happy.
Its like these jackets we buy - buy a cheap one or two but you'll end up going for a Goodwear in the end.
Best of luck either way.
Alan

nogbat

check out the red wing sites.. some of the red wing boots are the same?? try amazon.. see what you think ..good luck. :) :) :) :| :| :| :| :|

ausreenactor

You just missed out on my pair of MASH M43 rough outs on eBay. Fetched US$208?? More than I thought they would..

Couchy

Hawkeye

I'd highly recommend At The Fronts footwear. I've been wearing a pair of the service shoes just about every day for 6 months and they are holding up fantastically. Leather and stitching have no problems at all, and at the rate the sole is wearing I probably won't need them re-soled for at least 5 years, maybe more.

Damien

thanks for your help!

The Buzz lseems to be the best yes. Hawkeye: I am interested by your experience with ATF shoes. Have you got pics of them after the 6 months of wear? and how they size?

thanks!