• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Winter's A2

A

Anonymous

taikonaut said:
I wonder who made Dick Winter's current A2?
Could it be Real McCoy?
First- It's 99% surely a Dubow (the first photo that is)- look at the collar shape- look at the pocket shape- look at the large top of the arms- look at the close-in pockets which don't occur on a Roughwear. In the contemporary picture it COULD be his wartime Dubow but probably not a RMNZ- look at the stitching on the end of the epaulet (not centered in the box) and look at the width of the epaulet (RMNZs are too skinny) and look at the collar (too small and straight to be an RMNZ but definitely within the parameters of a real Dubow). Shows the mindfuckery which happens when you stare at something too long!

Chandler

Roughwear said:
This is interesting. The date he graduated from paratrooper school would be useful to know to help eliminate other A2 contracts, perhaps.

I'm pretty sure he states the date of jump school graduation (opposed to assignment to 506) in the book, I'll dbl-check and report back -- but as Tranq points out, the pic is dated.

Chandler

Robman

I have seen this A2 from the front in one Mark Bando's Books and the collar is shown a little more detailed and the pockets are more clear....IMHO a Dubow.

Chandler

Roughwear said:
This is interesting. The date he graduated from paratrooper school would be useful to know to help eliminate other A2 contracts, perhaps.

I double-checked the caption again and I misquoted, it says, "Completion of training at Toccoa. Showing off my new leather jacket."

Winters completed his time at Toccoa in early December, 1942.

Chandler