• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Winter's A2

T-Bolt

Yeah Swing,

I was kinda thinking Dubow myself when I first eyeballed it........but then again I am a major Dubow enthusiast! :cool: ;) :cool:

Ted

Tim P

the scalloping of the pockets looks very rough wear and the collar to me would be narrower where it crosses the top of the shoulder if it were a Dubow. rough wear collars are notoriously uniform in width all the way round and, although this is folded over a little that width seems evident to me. I would plum for a rough wear too.

Robman

I have seen this photo and I believe Dubow. Looking at the right side collar does not show evidence of a standcollar. The pockets are a little tall and close to the zipper ala Dubow.

Robman

I thought Spiewak too, but the pocket spacing to me at least looks more Dubowish...unless I'm wrong the Spiewaks are further from the zipper to my eye.

Chandler

Okay, since we're all over the board, I'll put a vote in for Star based on the dark shade and pointy collar.
Anyone? Anyone?

Chandler

Swing

IMO, the fact that the picture is from October '42 would rule out Star and Spiewak. The Star contract was from April or May '42, and the Spiewak contract was certainly from May '42. Work had probably started on those contracts by October, but I doubt many, if any, jackets had been delivered to the AAF. I wouldn't expect to see either contract in action until early '43.

Looking at how the left side of this collar is pinched and the rolled, I believe he's wearing a jacket with a collar stand.

~Swing

Chandler

Swing said:
Looking at how the left side of this collar is pinched and the rolled, I believe he's wearing a jacket with a collar stand.

I'll defer to you on the dates, but the pinch on the collar made me think just the opposite of you with the collar stand... even though my first thought was Roughwear too (based on the pocket flaps). Seems like most of the collar stand jackets I've seen tend to "roll" rather than "pinch (as I see this one)."

I'm reading Beyond Band of Brothers right now and there's another picture of Winters at this same time, but from a different view. The caption says it's the "leather jacket" he received upon graduating from Paratrooper School. No other mention in the book (as of yet).

Chandler

Roughwear

Chandler said:
Swing said:

I'll defer to you on the dates, but the pinch on the collar made me think just the opposite of you with the collar stand... even though my first thought was Roughwear too (based on the pocket flaps). Seems like most of the collar stand jackets I've seen tend to "roll" rather than "pinch (as I see this one)."

I'm reading Beyond Band of Brothers right now and there's another picture of Winters at this same time, but from a different view. The caption says it's the "leather jacket" he received upon graduating from Paratrooper School. No other mention in the book (as of yet).

Chandler

This is interesting. The date he graduated from paratrooper school would be useful to know to help eliminate other A2 contracts, perhaps.

greyhound52

Had a chat with John Chapman today (while he was busy sewing jackets he has 45 pending orders) and his vote is for Dubow. BTW he is close if not exceeded his 100th production jacket.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
This is interesting. The date he graduated from paratrooper school would be useful to know to help eliminate other A2 contracts, perhaps.

506 PIR was formed in Aug 42. I believe Winters was assigned Sept. The photo is dated Oct 42. So issue date of Sept-Oct 42 is your window.