• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Irvin project - update

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Test jacket number three is nearly finished but I have a problem with my sewing machine, so have had to down tools for a week or so until I get it fixed. I'll post photos of the jacket when it's finished though. I should be getting my labels next week too, so will sew one into the jacket.

In the meantime, I just thought I'd post a couple of photos to show how jacket number one is looking after a few months of wear. I've tried to wear it as much as possible, so any rainy days or chilly evenings and it gets an outing! I think it's breaking in nicely, and is developing lots of character.

Cheers,

Jon

JKT1Back2.jpg

JKT1Front2.jpg

side.jpg

sleevedetail.jpg

jonnyboy

Thanks Ben!

Unfortunately, it's too hot here in France to wear an Irvin at the moment. I'm off with my family to listen to some jazz at the Marciac Jazz festival tonight, as it's just down the road from where we live. It's 28 degrees though, so definitely not a jacket wearing opportunity!

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Thanks Noel.

I haven't had my machine fixed yet, so jacket #3 isn't quite finished. I have received my labels from the printer though, so here's a couple of pics of jacket 1 with a label sewn in.

It's based on a Wareing's label, but with my surname instead of Wareing's.

Hope you like it!!

Cheers,

Jon

Label1.jpg

Label2.jpg

John Lever

At last a repro Irvin with a nice label, well done. Jon, has the jacket been exposed to water and the sun at all ? It looks slightly weathered.

jonnyboy

Thanks guys - glad you like the label.

John, this is test jacket number #1 and has been thrown about, left out in the rain and sun, and generally used and abused as much as possible since I made it! It's breaking in nicely, and developing lots of character. I'll hopefully be getting the new supply of sheepskin from Devonia sorted out soon, so should be all systems go and able to take orders when I have the skins.

I'm really happy with test jacket #3 - I'll put photos on here when it's finished.

Cheers,

Jon

Jason

Amazing results there Jon, the most discerning RAF pilot officer would have been very happy to receive one.
The label is fantastic too, very stylish and 'of the period', well done sir!

Andrew

Jon the label's worked out very well and I think the use of your own name is inspired being somewhat reminiscent of Wareings. All it needs is a bit of faded unintelligible fountain pen to top it off.
Can't wait to break one of these in....

flyboy

Great label - I like it! And it really looks like your first jacket is getting some use. Looks great too!

Marv

jonnyboy said:
Thanks Noel.

I haven't had my machine fixed yet, so jacket #3 isn't quite finished. I have received my labels from the printer though, so here's a couple of pics of jacket 1 with a label sewn in.

It's based on a Wareing's label, but with my surname instead of Wareing's.

Hope you like it!!

Cheers,

Jon

Label1.jpg

So looking at your labels I take you were originally from Manchester in the UK before you moved to France........where specifically if you don't mind me asking.

jonnyboy

Hi Paul,

Yes, I'm from Manchester, and grew up in Swinton. I haven't lived there since moving away to college (then lived in London and Brighton before moving to France). I still have a lot of family living in the North West though, so pop back when I can.

One of my granddads also lived in Swinton. Apparently his best mate during the war flew Lancasters, and regularly used to 'buzz' the street where they lived, at rooftop height! I bet that was a sight!

Do you live in Manchester?

Cheers,

Jon

Marv

jonnyboy said:
Hi Paul,

Yes, I'm from Manchester, and grew up in Swinton. I haven't lived there since moving away to college (then lived in London and Brighton before moving to France). I still have a lot of family living in the North West though, so pop back when I can.

One of my granddads also lived in Swinton. Apparently his best mate during the war flew Lancasters, and regularly used to 'buzz' the street where they lived, at rooftop height! I bet that was a sight!

Do you live in Manchester?

Cheers,

Jon

I do indeed Jon, albeit South Manchester in Sale to be exact so not too far at all away from Swinton.

Marv

John Lever said:
I was born at Crumpsall [?] Hospital and lived in Sale for several years.

wow, really John........what a small world it is, can you remember where abouts in Sale was that you lived or not.