• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Irvin jacket number two - finished!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Repro Irvin jacket number two is now finished!

I'm really happy with how it's turned out. This jacket is a huge leap forward from jacket number one, and feels a lot more professional.

There were a few issues with the first test jacket, mainly to do with seam tapes and wonky stitching, which I've ironed out on this jacket. Overall, the construction is much better, and I'm really happy with the stitching - there are still a few bits where it's not so neat, but that's true of most original Irvins!

I riveted the leather hanging strap this time, as I think it's a more secure way of fastening it.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Cheers,

Jon

Front-1.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Open-2.jpg

Collar-4.jpg

Hanging-strap-1.jpg

Buckle-1.jpg

Belt.jpg

Armpit.jpg

Sleeve.jpg

Sleeve-zip.jpg

Main-zip-1.jpg

Collar-3.jpg

Collar-2.jpg

Collar-1.jpg

Andrew

Dave's taken the words out of my mouth. Really well done Jon, it looks like the real deal. How are the labels going? Those zips look great- it might just be the shots but the sleeve zips look a bit long? What size are you building these?

Gotta go find a hollow log now.

dujardin

amaaaaaaaaaazing

splendid work

congrats

she looks perfect and accurate to an original for me

not only John will pm you

jonnyboy

Thanks guys!

I'll be getting labels made fairly soon - just a question of cash flow at the moment. It's been difficult working on this, when I really ought to be spending more time concentrating on my day job. And, at the moment, my day job has gone very quiet (book design)!

This jacket is spot on in terms of dimensions, etc, to the original that I took apart. Here are some measurements (taken when jacket laid flat and zipped up):

Chest (armpit to armpit): 23.5 inches
Waist (across front): 23.5 inches
Shoulder (seam to seam): 20.5 inches
Front zip length: 22.5 inches
Back length (not including collar): 25.5 inches
Sleeve length: 25 inches

I'm a fairly standard size 42, and it just about fits me. The next test jacket will be a size 44. Hopefully I'll soon have the pattern scaled up and down to be able to offer a good range of sizes. I'm guessing that most people would take between a 42 to 46?. John Chapman mentioned that he mostly gets orders for size 46 jackets.

Cheers,

Jon

A

Anonymous

Outstanding. In the U.S probable size average between 44 to 48.

Jason

Fantastic work! Those pictures give an insight to what an Irvin would have looked like when it was first issued to its young BC owner back in 1941.

jonnyboy

Thanks for all the great encouragement and support guys!

I've got enough sheepskin left to make a couple more jackets, which will hopefully be in larger sizes, then I'll be ordering more sheepskins. I'll then be in a position to start taking orders from anyone who's interested.

I need to sort out a simple website with all the necessary info, photos, online ordering etc. I'm also in the process of showing the photos to a couple of relatives to get their feedback, and hopefully testimonials! My grandad was in the RAF Air Sea Rescue during the war, and was issued with an Irvin in 1943. My father-in-law's uncle was a wing commander (97 squadron) so a testimonial from him would be great!

I'll keep you posted with any progress!

Cheers,

Jon