• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Redtails"

colekwok

I don't know, according to a veteran poster at the fedoralounge, Aero Leather are the the one which are making the jackets.

Dr H

No, it was certainly Good Wear Leather for the A-2s. John was hard at work on these when I ordered my GW Doni in 2008-9.

I recall discussing the project with him at the time and did ask which pattern he was using - wish I could remember... :?

CBI

I don't think Aero provided any. Real McCoys may have provided some for supporting cast members. John made 11 jackets. Jacket were re-used for various characters.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Real McCoys, along with a Good Wear A-2 ...

Red-Tails.jpg

johnwayne

I guess this is when CGI comes into its own, we can see loads of Me 109's, P51's etc etc without the need for using the few in existence, while hopefully giving us a feel for what happened back then. I just hope its a real attempt to tell the story and not 'over egged' with the gung ho glam that we often get fed with but surely, its gotta be better than the Cuba Gooding Jr/Lawrence Fishburn effort some years ago!!
cheers
Wayne

Chandler

Re: Red Tails

philip.ed said:
But am I alone in thinking that those flying sequences look like something out of Pearl-Harbour?

Didn't think so myself -- in fact I thought just the opposite when I watched. The PH scenes showed the planes move like X-Wings from Star Wars. I thought these scenes showed a little more of that "mechanical," feel to the plane -- gave the sense that physics were really working on the wings -- at least compared with PH.

Chandler

rich

It's a difficult one - some of the scenes look fantastic to me, the burning B-17 not so convincing though. (but I've never seen a
burning B-17 at 20,000 feet, so how would I know?) They did their homework though..........

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/go/view/vide ... byW-J7xotP

I hope when it's up there on the big screen, it'll look tremendous.

(Good to see you posting again Mr. Chandler)

CBI

I posted this on FL. It might be appropriate for some of the comments here:

George Lucas premiered the Red Trails trailer at Oshkosh a few days ago and talked about the film. I was not there but what was passed along is that Lucas has wanted to make this film for 23 years and even with his success, no studio wanted to mess with it. He was able to cut a deal based on the Star Wars saga being re-worked into 3D. He wanted to make an inspirational film for young people and teach them something about WW2. He also wanted to make a a film with lots of dogfights in it!!!!! This is a labor of love project and if people on this forum are going to be so-so about it then studios are never going to make these things anymore. Its a different era- no Battle of Britain go out and rent an air force for a film time. If this movie is successful, it might help make Peter Jackson's Dambusters a reality as well as Jon Woo's Flying Tiger Heros. Lets get with the program and keep our Geekish observations in check. Thanks George for bankrolling this and making it happen.

No, I don't work for Lucasfilms.

johnwayne

Hey CBI - no pop intended at the film from me, I'll go and see it for sure and thats from someone who didin't think Top Gun or Pearl Harbour were as bad as many on this forum suggest. It just concerns me when for the sake of a film the truth gets, lets say, distorted. I'm not a great fan of CGI when its obvious thats exactly what it is but to me this is where its comes into its own - to be able to recreate history. I still enjoy watching The Battle of Britain, made in the 60's using real planes but even that got paned, yet James Bond sepremo's Broccoli and Saltzman made a genuine attempt to tell the truth like you say Geroge Lucas has. My eyebrows raise though when I hear of a rumoured poss film of US pilot Billy Drake who served in the BoB with again rumoured Tom Cruise in the starring role (discussed before on this forum) - if thats get off the gound (excuse the pun) I'm guessing we'll see him win the conflict single handed!!!

Whatever, if as you say this is GL's labour of love then he deserves full credit - the trailer certainly looks encouraging.
cheers
Wayne

CBI

no trying to zap anybody in particular but I have heard/read lots of cynical talk/comments and I think we just need to wait and see - based on what I know, the effort was huge. Its easy to sit back and take shots for some. Try making a movie yourselves ...............

A

Anonymous

I am still waiting to see one WWII movie with planes where there will be only one character hero, not a team of pilots like in Red Tails.

And I would like to see some heavy weight actors in it.
Unfortunately, there are no actors that can stand next to Humphry Bogart, Marlon Brando, John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen etc.

No suitable guys in today's Hollywood that can play the role of a real macho man.
Most action-hero actors have this kid/teenage like baby face like Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Leonardo Di Carpio, Keanu Reeves etc.

Except maybe Gerald Butler, Bruce Willis (too old though) and George Clooney (also old), Mel Gibson (also old). (Christian Bale is out, he can't pronounce "r")

I 'm glad Denzel Washington is not on Red Tails (can't see any more of him)

Undeniably the best to play the role of a high rank officer is Jack Nicholson (remember his excellent performance in "A Few Good Men" ?)

Anyway, maybe I want too much....

TankBuster

Speaking of Flying Tiger Heroes, it will be out in 2012. Im looking forward to the IMAX approach! Liam Neeson as Chennault should be a good match.

Chandler

rich said:
(Good to see you posting again Mr. Chandler)

Thanks, but I just don't get around much anymore. New job is too attention intensive.

Happened to see the Red Tails thread and the trailer popped up the next day so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to let it be known!

And I have to agree with the rest, the jackets are looking the part in the clips.

Chandler

Stony

as well as Jon Woo's Flying Tiger Heros

Please tell me that Jon Woo isn't or hasn't made "Flying Tiger Heros". He had a great story to tell with "Windtalkers", but totally screwed it up IMO. He's too into "blam, slam, kablooey" (i.e. Batman on TV). I also hope that they don't use a lot of A6M2 Zeros as the Flying Tigers rarely, if ever, encountered them in combat.

DJS48

Mr. Stony,
You are right about the Zero's with regard to the "Flying Tigers" being encountered. I read recently that type had not been assigned to that area of ops. Also, in the John Wayne version of Flying Tigers, the Zero is the "primary" aircraft encounteres or so the dialogue indicates.
Cheers,
Don

dmar836

Stony,
I was thinking the same thing about a Jon Woo "historical" film. Perhaps the Flying Tigers won't even need planes to fly!

On topic, I'm proud to say I know(sort of) you guys who made the props for the Red Tails film. Strong work all around!

Dave
Kansas City

TOMG1401

CBI, I admire your optimism, unfortunately I can't seem to recall a studio big budget Air war film in the recent past that wasn' t over hyped crap when it hit the theaters, so with your permission I will express my self as I please, as Rodney Dangerfield said "No offense" -TOM