• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for purchase

arclight

Hello all!
First time poster but I have gained a wealth of knowledge just lurking here and I know most of you know your way around A-2s. With that, if you had $500-600 to spend on a horsehide A-2, which would be in the running? I currently have a U.S. Authentic in russet HH, but I'm ready to ratchet it up a bit. I 'll probably get to wear it about 4 months a year here in Tucson. What I'm looking for is a 3.5oz-4oz. FQHH that'll literally stand up on its own in a corner until it's broken in. I really respect all of your knowledgeable opinions so keep 'em coming. Thank you...........Tom

Tim P

for that kind of stiffness, at that kind of price, a used McCoys or an Aero may be wise.

Burnsie

A new Aero Real Deal is currently in your price range and can be custom made for your measurements!

MikeyB-17

Don't know if they still do, but Aero have been known to make special order A-2's in their front quarter horsehide, usually deemed too thick for normal A-2's. Now that stuff will sure as hell stand up on it's own. Might be worth enquiring.

Vcruiser

Aero also offered a 'shaved" FQHH for their A2. Lighter weight than their heavy hide...but seemed to develope similar graining.
Van

CBI

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm ..................... I have owned 2 Real Deal A-2's in the past and the leather was thin(ish) and not very stiff. Not sure why stiffness is a "want" but that's OK. You might want to hold out a bit and see what you can find used on the bay (maybe a Goodwear, ELC or RMNZ). There has been lots of premium repro traffic for sale, its that time of year.

Vcruiser

Here's a pic of my older Aero Realdeal when brand new. A fairly robust HH on this one...

30cf1.jpg

Perhaps a better inside shot and closeup of the hide and truer color after several yrs wear....

100_0386.jpg

TankBuster

My old Real Deal was thick and though as nails. If it would have fit a little better in the shoulders, I would have never sold it.

Burnsie

My Real Deal is thick - still stands up on it's own after 3 years of wear!

See pic taken recently - russet real deal next to seal horse 1756. It's less drapey (and 2 years older)
A-2s.jpg

John Lever

navvet said:
John, your jacket looks to be ideal for winter motor cycling.
I might be taking it to the Alps for the weekend, where the weather is set to be very cold with snow in Salzburg.
No motorbike I'm afraid.