• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent photos of GW 422 and 39 Werber

airfrogusmc

Just pulled these babies out and forgot how good they looked.

The collar on the 422 is getting lighter and some of the grain is becoming way more pronounced.
IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

AHHHH and the 39 Werber what can I say but John is the man.

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5905.jpg

Falcon_52

Man, those look great! The M-422 especially looks fantastic. I'm so glad jacket weather is back in our part of the world. :cool:

Noel

airfrogusmc

Falcon_52 said:
Man, those look great! The M-422 especially looks fantastic. I'm so glad jacket weather is back in our part of the world. :cool:

Noel
Thanks Noel. Yeah me too. It might even be cool enough this afternoon and evening for the Werber. :D

The M422 is probably my fav. I cant say enough good stuff about the goat and the mouton on this one.

TankBuster

Great jackets Allen! I got to see one of Johns WW2 Navy jackets first hand last weekend. They are super!!!

Nice Jackets!! Sadly spring has sprung here in Oz and sadly its time to put my jackets away. Never the less im pretty stoked to be able to wipe the dust of my wake board!!! :D :D :D

Andrew

I'd be extremely happy with that Werber- that russett leather is beautiful. Which series is it Allen (i'm losing track of the latest greatest)?

airfrogusmc

Thanks oldskoolony

Andrew, It was from almost two years ago so its not the latest russet John is using and that stuff is real nice but I have to say I really like this russet horse too. I think he can still get this or has some. Its the 1939.

philip.ed

That A2 looks awesome. Are GW better than Eastman as far as A2's go? That sure does look like a beautiful jacket.

Weasel_Loader

philip.ed said:
Are GW better than Eastman as far as A2's go?

Tough question for me to answer. I've only owned one Eastman and that jacket was returned because of wrong fit and I went with a nylon Buzz as replacement. The Eastman hide seemed very good, but it was also my first true A-2. Didn't get back into leather A-2 until last year and now I've owned two GW A-2s (currently just one) and one Buzz A-2. In my opinion, I think GW produces the best A-2 right now. With Eastman's prices coming into the range of GW, their quality and reproduction seemed to be getting very close to GWs, but maybe some of the more recent owners of Eastman can chime in with their thoughts.

I've never dealt with Eastman directly, but HPA had great customer service when I ordered through them. GW is a little slower with production, but you'll get exactly what you want in your size and communication through the process is top notch! ;)

philip.ed

Many thanks for the detailed response ;) I suppose it's a question that can never really have a correct answer...
There's so many makers that are making the A2 jacket too.
Is there any topic that covers them all in-detail? I've heard of Buzz Rickson making them, a company called THE_FEW, a company in New-Zealand, and then the of course Eastman, Aero and GW. Is it all a much of a much in terms of authenticity? I probably have missed a fair number of makers from my list too. I suppose that for anyone wanting a repro, you couldn't ask for more variety :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
philip.ed said:
There's so many makers that are making the A2 jacket too.
Is there any topic that covers them all in-detail?

All the makers are covered here, Philip ... just not all in the one thread. Perhaps when you have a spare Sunday, you could scroll through the Repros, and Reviews sections of this forum.

You will find plenty of opinions. ;)

philip.ed

Yes, I'm working my way through it; it's hard to get a clear idea though on which ones are the best. It'd be nice if someone could put together a review on all of them if a person has ever owned them all... ;)
But certainly all the makers mentioned produce quality products ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
philip.ed said:
Yes, I'm working my way through it; it's hard to get a clear idea though on which ones are the best. It'd be nice if someone could put together a review on all of them if a person has ever owned them all... ;)
But certainly all the makers mentioned produce quality products ;)

Currently Good Wear would receive the most votes on the forum, but all the makers you mention have their supporters.

... and it's all only opinion. Perhaps you could buy a few examples from each maker, and let us know. :cool:

philip.ed

Yes, when I am older and the dosh starts rolling in :lol:

I have my Dad's Eastman which doesn't fit him (a size 40) in mint condition. I should really sell it for a 42 for him...

airfrogusmc

philip.ed said:
That A2 looks awesome. Are GW better than Eastman as far as A2's go? That sure does look like a beautiful jacket.

GWs are more accurate and I've owned both. I also owned McCoys 39 Werber and the GW is far more accurate. Paul Sanders had original 33, 39 and 42 Werbers and GW gets it right. The epaulets on the McCoys were to wide and the hide to thick.

Mundele

airfrogusmc said:
The epaulets on the McCoys were to wide and the hide to thick.

I have a Buzz Rickson Rough Wear and the hide on that is also incredibly thick and heavy. However since I've never owned an original Rough Wear I can't tell whether it is accurate or not. It is a magnificent jacket either way.

I also own an Eastman and an Aero - both very satisfactory.

I have recently acquired two Good Wears. To be absolutely honest - they are both wonderful. They somehow feel right. The weight, the cut, the colour, the grain. Everything feels just a little bit better on the Good Wears.

I am firmly one of increasingly many who believe Good Wear to be Numero Uno in A2 reproductions.