• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McCoy's shop Mayfair

John Lever

I suppose the location says it all really...McCoy's Mayfair shop is access by appointment only...
Are they scared of robberies or just to keep the riff raff out ?
3.5 k for a B3 !
Quite a contrast to Tjoenn's trip to Aero

johnwayne

They used to have a shop in Covent Garden - I went in once and bought a Catalogue but recall the sky high prices, would have been poss 5 years back! Similarly Son of Stag in E1 sells ELC and other at highly priced stuff, aimed I think at the ‘hipster’ types!!!

Smithy

I suppose the location says it all really...McCoy's Mayfair shop is access by appointment only...
Are they scared of robberies or just to keep the riff raff out ?
3.5 k for a B3 !
Quite a contrast to Tjoenn's trip to Aero

Nonsense and snobbery. Nothing more, nothing less. That kind of thing is understandable with a very high end jewellers or gem dealer or the like. But we're taking about knockoff Americana clothing here FFS.

With that kind of ridiculous attitude and self-importance, they'd be better off renaming the shop "House of Wank".

bseal

Nonsense and snobbery. Nothing more, nothing less. That kind of thing is understandable with a very high end jewellers or gem dealer or the like. But we're taking about knockoff Americana clothing here FFS.

With that kind of ridiculous attitude and self-importance, they'd be better off renaming the shop "House of Wank".

E816F1E7-BF5B-41B7-99F6-23748F0F6D48.gif

269sqnhudson

Well I imagine this is more related to paying to open and staff an often quiet store, at least that was my assumption. I just bought a couple of their WEPs online, I'm sure like a lot of retail the bricks-and -mortar is for 'showrooming'. and has a lot of costs associated with it, especially now - the energy price hike surely must be part of it.

The WEP has always been the number one on my wish list. I owned a mint 1972 issue Alpha which was just too short (a 46 Reg), I got a Buzz Rickson in 2019 and the nylon was entirely wrong, felt like an MA-1. Just a few weeks ago I spotted the RM WEP, bought one, love it, bought another (and was really pushing it fiscally speaking :oops:) but I've wanted a really good WEP for yeeeeears. Their sizing is a bit bonkers (I bought a 44 and 42 initially and both fit but differently - I'm usually a 46 (sometmes need a 48) and the RM 44 fits well with room but the 42 fits nicely at the shoulders, chest but is just a little bit trim around the middle.

colekwok

It may be because they only have 1 staff managing the shop. The only thing that I have ever bought in their Covent Garden shop was the Lightning mag, the only thing that I could (can) afford.:eek:

Pilot

With all due respect and no ranting…. „ and still they sell“….like all other „ crasy , mad, exhorbitant, full €€€$$$£££¥¥ magnets…plus all other jargons. priced items.“
Would even say… more than ever… One sure fact… Europe ( few exemption though) is out..
Europe is mainly focused on selling social welfare they cannot finance anymore ( unfortunately)… to many freewheeling and less and less payers… but all good..
As for Asia like Japan, Korea, China, Gulf… the more the better… no limits to „ madness „…
All ranting here and elsewhere is just a teardrop on a volcano fart…
Again, no ranting… just the real worlds reality…
Greetings from Seoul/Kyōto.

Last edited:

Smithy

I don't begrudge what RM charges at all and I say well done for creating the successful business that they have. They make beautiful repros.

What I think is ridiculous is making their shop in Mayfair by appointment only. That's completely and utterly pretentious. You can waltz into quite a few bespoke tailors on Savile Row and they've got a darn sight more to be pretentious about.

By appointment only? Give me a break.

269sqnhudson

I don't begrudge what RM charges at all and I say well done for creating the successful business that they have. They make beautiful repros.

What I think is ridiculous is making their shop in Mayfair by appointment only. That's completely and utterly pretentious. You can waltz into quite a few bespoke tailors on Savile Row and they've got a darn sight more to be pretentious about.

By appointment only? Give me a break.
My main point is I doubt it’s pretentiousness, more not paying to staff a quiet store. That’s my immediate assumption anyway.

Nickb123

They probably don’t have the staff on hand to both assist customers and keep an eye out for theft. I’m sure there would otherwise be far more window shoppers - curiosity seekers in the store with no intention to buy, especially when the prices are realized - they’re at that point a theft liability.

Also, there’s probably some strange sales tactic at play here to make the appointment attendee feel like he or she has a more personalized experience - which could induce a higher propensity to buy.

asiamiles

I don't know if this is still the case but I seem to recall reading a while back that due to renovation works on the neighbouring building it would not be possible to open full time and thus an appointment would be needed to guarantee a visit.

Shropshire-lad

Staff are probably on ‘zero hour‘ contracts, minimum wage but as stated earlier - £3.5k for a sheepskin is steep…. I’d ge interested to see their annual turnover of sales! I’d also be interested in the intelligence of demographic that can afford those items and BUY’S them. And I thought ELC was expensive (though very good…)!