• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McCoy's N-1 Deck Jacket

asiamiles

Just received this RM N-1 (see links below). I used to have a Buzz N-1, but sold it as I found it rather plain and bit too common. The stencilling on this RM gives it a bit more life. The USN on the front is not the regular USN stencil but I don't know enough about the Navy and their jackets to explain it (I've seen about 4 different USN stencils); it looks a bit big on the pics but actually looks perfectly okay in the flesh. Not sure what the SS475 or the under the cuff artwork is supposed to be. The lining is softer and more comfortable next to the skin than the Buzz - there would be no problem wearing it over a t-shirt - though my Buzz was brand new while this has been gently worn. I think it's a weightier jacket than the Buzz, but maybe not as heavy as the Buzz Sea Water Wash version. First reaction is that this is a keeper and that I'll need to move on a couple of jackets for it.

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/pr ... ct_id=2348

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/three-eight/rmc-mj9112-041/

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
USS Argonaut (SS-475) was a Tench-class submarine
Ah, it's the number of the sub. Thanks! The appeal of having "Argonaut" on the back is linked to my liking of the film JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. :)

RCSignals

The embroidery on the cuffs is an interesting touch. I remember seeing Navy jumpers in surplus stores years ago with similar embroidery on the inside of cuffs.

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
The embroidery on the cuffs is an interesting touch. I remember seeing Navy jumpers in surplus stores years ago with similar embroidery on the inside of cuffs.
A way of personalising their garments without breaking regulations?

Tim P

Very common amongst USN was liberty cuffs. The practice and rationale being that whilst aboard ship the sailor could comply with regulations but once out on liberty, his status as a seasoned travelled swabbie could be revealed by exotic embroidery often hand done on the garment in far east tailor shops but also sold as patches.
Now it seems odd to me that a jacket that would only be worn on duty should have embellishments that would only be seen off duty. But with real surplus items I have seen all manner of embellishments and that is probably a straight take on a genuine relic jacket.

The N1 is a naturally drab jacket but this one is appealing. I think such an item would need the hell wearing out of it. ;)