• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McCoy’s RW 42-1401P tends to crack easily?

Elliot Wu

Hello everyone, longtime forum member here. I own four A2 leather jackets – three from Real McCoy and one from Buzz Rickson. I've observed that the Real McCoy's RW 42-1401P tends to crack easily. Any insights on whether it's the leather, paint, or conditioning method causing this issue? Appreciate your advice!"

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 157

Dany McDonald

Hello Eliot,

Are you the original owner of this skin?

Looks like rot!

It's possible that the leather from which the jacket was cut, had problems at the tannery from the get go. It definitely should not show early signs of degradation in the leather if the tanning process was respected and done by the book.

Or it was exposed to harmful products/elements. Say like someone did a refinishing job with aetone of solvents to remove the top coat/pigment/dye. That will kill the skin at some point in its life.

Lastly over exposure to elements like water or direct sunlight for very, very long periods of time combined with a poor tannage job...

D

Elliot Wu

Hi guys,

Thank y’all’s concerns and replies.

So, the two 1401Ps are all second-hand. I bought them in Japan and brought them back to Taiwan. Indeed, Taiwan is a super humid place. Taipei, in particular.

I’m not sure whether it’s because of the frequency I put them on. Normally, if it’s not raining, I’d wear them almost every day and apply mink oil as a conditioner for both of them every two to three months.

I’ve checked the pocket and the collar, they are slightly scratched but without any major cracks.

Regarding other A2s’ condition, my Buzz Rickson’s 23380 looks brand new, while my 27752, which is also manufactured by McCoy, shows no crack as well.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure what the original owners had applied on the one that suffers even more severely, but quite curious why this only happens on the McCoy’s 1401P so easily as the other one that looks relatively fine started to crack as well

Anyhow. Looking forward to hearing from y’all soon.

P-47 thunderbolt

I expect its the humidity. Looks like the pigment finished hide that mccoys does.
Probably an acrylic type finish. Perhaps the leather struggles to breathe. The buzz ricksons might have different leather finishes.
I think we're in the realms of leather preservation here - I've used this
Kucel G on rot on vintage jackets.

The mink oil may also be a factor? Over saturation and rapid drying???

Try some neutral conditioner or restoration liquid from a proper conservation company.
https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Cleaning-Products/Cleaning-Agents/Klucel-G

Enigma1938

I have good experiences with Renapur. I threaded some dry / stiff vintage leather jackets with it long ago and they are still soft and healthy now.

mulceber

I expect its the humidity. Looks like the pigment finished hide that mccoys does.
Probably an acrylic type finish. Perhaps the leather struggles to breathe. The buzz ricksons might have different leather finishes.
I think we're in the realms of leather preservation here - I've used this
Kucel G on rot on vintage jackets.

The mink oil may also be a factor? Over saturation and rapid drying???

Try some neutral conditioner or restoration liquid from a proper conservation company.
https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Cleaning-Products/Cleaning-Agents/Klucel-G
Agreed - what's probably happening is that you're wearing the jackets while it's raining, and then the humidity where you store them is so high that they aren't drying properly before you wear them again. I'd add a dehumidifier to the area where you keep your jackets to prevent future jackets from going the same way.

Last edited:

OperationCoffee

That’s a lot of mink oil you’re using. You might just be oversaturating the leather in addition . As I stated, some of those crusty spots look like some fluid is trying to get out.

Follow all the good advice here and change your treatment to something other than mink oil every few months. Once you’ve stabilized the leather you shouldn’t need to condition it more than once a year or thereabouts.

Dany McDonald

Eliot,

Whatever has decayed the skin, and it sounds like the offending context hasn't been eliminated, the red rot is there to stay. The fact that you did maintained your leather with mink oil, a very effective conditioner, but still got catastrophic results is telling...

IMO, what ever you try that A-2 is damaged beyond repair. The rot has probably rendered the leather very weak too, handle it with precaution!

Anyways good luck!

D